Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 08:30   #46

Boat: Union 36
Re: What Can We Do About Drones?!?

String fishing line or real light net in the rigging and let him/her fly into it?
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:32   #47

Boat: Columbia 10.7

You know, it's to bad that one person can cause so much stink about something. In this case drones. As stated in another post, "drones aren't the problem, the operator (or people) are the problem".

We run into people invading "our space" everyday, be it boating, camping, fishing, driving in our car, on our computer, etc., etc., and we deal with it because it's only a few jerks that do it.

I think drones are a great tool, when used like they are supposed to be used. You have one ass hole out there giving drones a bad rap, but there are so many people using them the right way (I hope you viewed the posted video because it was good) that don't need to be condemned because of one, or a few idiots. I have seen some awesome video shot with drone that have not offended anyone, case in point S/V DELOS. Pretty awesome blog with some great video shot from a drone.

So I'm just saying don't blame the drone, don't blame the gun, don't blame the computer for what for what a few SICK people do with them.
sloopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:35   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

How about a catapult [wrist rocket] Tie two nuts together with a yard of fishing line and try to tangle it up. Silent but deadly !!

I like this idea...
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:41   #49

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
Throw a net up at it - best way to bring it down.

The drone is not the problem it is the operator. Can you not speak to him/her about it.

I have one and do a lot of filming with it but would never do that more than once.

My last video:-

Great video, Paulajayne, what drone did you get?
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:46   #50
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I'd think you'd need several tries at least with a wrist rocket, even with "bolo" ammo. I'd go with a pellet rifle, scoped. About $150 for a Gamo with scope that shoots @ 1250 FPS. Pellet rifles aren't what they were in our youth anymore! Vastly more accurate and powerful. All break barrel, no pumping. I'd leave the companionway and hatches open at about the usual time, then shoot that sucker down from inside the boat, without coming on deck. Inside of the boat will be too dark in bright sun for video footage.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:50   #51

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
Very Nice

What model do you have?? - Stability was excellent!
DJI Phantom 2+

Have a look at the 3 as it shoot in 4K.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:56   #52

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I wonder if drone to drone combat would be legal?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:58   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Don't call the FAA, I do not believe they have jurisdiction.
But if you do want to call the FAA, the local airport is not who to call, they are just contract ATC there.
Call the FSDO, Flight Standards District Office, these people
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...o/mia/contact/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:00   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopman View Post
You know, it's to bad that one person can cause so much stink about something. In this case drones. As stated in another post, "drones aren't the problem, the operator (or people) are the problem".

We run into people invading "our space" everyday, be it boating, camping, fishing, driving in our car, on our computer, etc., etc., and we deal with it because it's only a few jerks that do it.

I think drones are a great tool, when used like they are supposed to be used. You have one ass hole out there giving drones a bad rap, but there are so many people using them the right way (I hope you viewed the posted video because it was good) that don't need to be condemned because of one, or a few idiots. I have seen some awesome video shot with drone that have not offended anyone, case in point S/V DELOS. Pretty awesome blog with some great video shot from a drone.

So I'm just saying don't blame the drone, don't blame the gun, don't blame the computer for what for what a few SICK people do with them.
How do you get to the person responsible, if you don't get the drone?
mramoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:01   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I wonder if drone to drone combat would be legal?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Used to fly a lot of RC "combat" believe it or not, but it's incredibly hard to hit another flying object because you have to get all three dimensions right, You know your going to hit, you have it lined up perfectly, then fly in front or behind them, frustrating
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:09   #56

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It's not simple, nor cheap. Albeit it is when compared to you having to post bail, etc. for shooting it down.
But you could find out what frequency band(s) these things fly on, & build a jammer for said band. Thus causing it to likely shut down, or the pilot/owner to lose control of it. Perhaps causing it to take a swim.

Or an even more high tech solution is to pick up the equipment to see what frequency it's controls are operating on. Then go & pick up a controller which lets you tune it's operating band, & has a signal booster.

So then, the next time it pays you a visit, your signal overpowers it's home base controller, & you then land it; on your boat, in Neptune's domain, or crash it into a tree or mast @ full speed, etc.

The thing is, if you physically capture it this way, then you have proof; finger prints, video, etc. of whom has been harassing you.

The biggest unknown in this strategy is that it's probable that the transmitter has some frequency agility. But if your transmitter is stronger, it'll likely capture the drone's control signal before the operator can tell it to switch to it's 2ndary operating frequency.

And for now, it's worth documenting; on video & in a log book, of when it pays you a visit, for how long, etc.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:11   #57

Boat: Catalina 30

The operators claim freedom of airspace, but that does not apply when they are that close to the ground. PRIVACY laws apply, and he is breaking them. Cast net would be best, or some fine netting in the rigging if (s)he is flying that close. (Home Depot or the like has stuff for keeping 'birds' away from gardens...)

As I understand it, if the subject is close enough to be identifiable, public domain rules do not apply. (I.E. a far shot of a crowd is allowed, a face shot is not.)

I wish they would sell drone hunting licenses...
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:26   #58

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I'm in UK and not sure whether you use the same frequencies in the USA but over here and in Europe, the most common frequency used for drones and any model flying is 2.4Ghz. I f you can get a portable jammer for that frequency and it is as close as you say, you should be able to swamp it's signal and it will then end up in the drink with luck and without any obvious input from you if you operate it in your cabin out of sight.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:29   #59

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
I'm in Miami. What are my legal rights
Where are you in Miami. This may be that jerkoff that is complaining about anchoring.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:34   #60

Boat: Eastward Ho 24 Hull #6

Lots of websites showing how to build "jammers" for this purpose. However there is this... https://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jammer-enforcement

Big brother is watching. :-)
This sort of activity is upsetting a lot of people and IMO it won't be long before we start seeing laws restricting drone use. As always, "a few bad apples"...
INTP is offline   Reply With Quote