Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2018, 03:44   #61

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: Trump looking to simplify regulations

The only way Americans will listen in the end is to reciprocate. When nations get the guts to stand up the the US, then and only then will they listen to reason. The US has not to come to the understanding that its hegemony is on the wane. It is on its way down under its own weight as the old USSR did.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:30   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know Ann, from just listening and talking to a few freighters off the coast of Fl. I think that by far the most are crewed by Asians, and I believe Asian registered, so at least in the US, we already have their safety and training standards in US waters.
This is the issue they are trying to solve (not the standards but virtually all international commerce being done under flags of convenience). The cost of meeting US rules is so expensive that most international shipping comes in via flags of convenience that means the employees and corporations operate and keep the profits out of the USA.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:31   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
The SHERIFF is the ONLY lawful police authority in the county because he is ELECTED. When someone works security for a corporation they are Rent-a-cops. Last I knew ALL municipalities are incorporated making all these rent-a-cops traitors for violating the Constitution. AND when was the last time they had jurisdiction, The law requires proof of jurisdiction to appear on the record of the administrative agency and all administration proceedings,” Hagans v. Lavine, 415 U.S. 533 ? Which makes ANY stop unlawful, meaning kid napping, aggravated assault, impersonating a peace office, declaration of an emergency when none exists, criminal threatening and fraud for using tax payers dollars for person gain.
So how did it work out last year when you sent a note to the IRS that the income tax is illegal, so you are't going to pay for it?
Old 07-06-2018, 05:34   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfischgrund View Post
De-regulation is just a code word for allowing rich people to make even more profits off of middle class people, like banks gouging students with exorbitant interest rates, and for allowing big companies to dump polluting chemicals into our rivers, laces and oceans.
Or like the equivalent inflation adjusted airfare NY to LA running $2500 before 1980?
Old 07-06-2018, 05:48   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
The only way Americans will listen in the end is to reciprocate. When nations get the guts to stand up the the US, then and only then will they listen to reason. The US has not to come to the understanding that its hegemony is on the wane. It is on its way down under its own weight as the old USSR did.
I believe you have it reversed (at least in regard to international trade). Over the last 20-30yrs, the USA has been afraid to reciprocate.

If you look at the countries with the worst trade imbalances, they have effectively shut out American products and the answer for why they don't push back is we don't want to rock the boat (aka: stand up to them).

I'm concerned that Trump is pushing too hard with some countries but you are seeing China back pedal on their tough talk and offering concessions. I hope we don't get into a trade war and we'll have to see if the end result is positive but recent history has not been the US dictating trade rules (banking rules yeah a bit but I don't know if I have a lot of sympathy for Swiss banks purposely hiding illicit gains).
Old 07-06-2018, 06:00   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Every time I sail into another country I go through a legal procedure with severe penalties in the event I do not follow them.

I respect these countries and their laws and am thankful they permit me and my vessel to enjoy their homeland,

What is wrong with our country asking the same AND honoring those who choose to enter our country legally?

Is it a “Hispanic” thing in Central America or a “Black” thing in Africa or an “Asian” thing? No, it’s a “law” thing.

If you don’t think so try NOT clearing in at Isla Mujares next time and see how that works out for you ;-)
Nicely stated and in a rational matter. People that don’t understand this I think just have hatred issues themselves and US immigration policy is a pathway to attack.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:03   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I believe you have it reversed (at least in regard to international trade). Over the last 20-30yrs, the USA has been afraid to reciprocate.

If you look at the countries with the worst trade imbalances, they have effectively shut out American products and the answer for why they don't push back is we don't want to rock the boat (aka: stand up to them).

I'm concerned that Trump is pushing too hard with some countries but you are seeing China back pedal on their tough talk and offering concessions. I hope we don't get into a trade war and we'll have to see if the end result is positive but recent history has not been the US dictating trade rules (banking rules yeah a bit but I don't know if I have a lot of sympathy for Swiss banks purposely hiding illicit gains).
Careful, The messenger is VERY likely to get shot with this crowd.http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:18   #68

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
We as many other Canadians spent about $40,000 of our retirement money cruising in the US in the last year and have been doing it every other year or so for about 25yrs..... We may not do it again.

Under a cruising License we must report in to CPB every time we stop the boat. Now this rule has been in place for the 25yrs we've been cruising US waters but it has only been enforced in the last 18 months.

You simply would not believe some of the responses we've had when we call in.

"Chesapeake Beach ? You can't be there, there is no such place"

New Baltimore NY ? You can't be there, there is no such place"

"Albany ? Where's that ?

Dozens of phone calls to "number is not in service"

"Why are you calling me" .... Cause the last guy threatened to seize my boat if I didn't and the guy before that said I didn't have to call in at all.

Hours on the phone trying to connect with the right person.

"Why didn't you call in yesterday ? - cause I was anchored in a Georgia swamp and I couldn't get a cel signal - "That's not my problem, I'm issuing you a formal notice of violation. If you do it again it's a $10k fine and we'll take your boat".

I could cite another 100 examples but I'm sure you get the drift.

Apparently CPB does not want us to spend our retirement money in your country.

Is that "commerce" enough ?
I agree. We try to spend as little time in the US as possible before heading to another country (basically any other country), where the regulations are more easily dealt with. My biggest beef with CBP is that they do not even know their own rules. In one place they say the rules say A while a hundred miles away they say the exact opposite. It may have changed in the last few years but if you were travelling on the north shore of Long island Sound you had to call in every night (even then there were differences between nights when you anchored and nights you were in a port (i.e. marina). On the south shore (different district) you did not have to call in when moving between eastern Long Island and Cape May.

In Florida we hauled for work and hurricane season and we were able to have our cruising permit clock stopped until we launched again. In Plymouth, MA a German boat was not able to do this when he was hauled for many months and tens of thousands of dollars of work. He was given 48 hours to get out of the country (to Nova Scotia). All he wanted to do was go from MA to the Hinckley yard in Maine where he would get hauled for more work before returning to continue his cruise in the following summer. He was not pleased at least partly because he owned a company in Germany that had a Subsidiary in Michigan that employed more than 100 workers.

I could go on but you get the idea.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:05   #69

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:

Actually, there would never have been an "Imbalance" if Americans didn't want the CHEAP low quality goods and the big internationals thought longer term than their short term gains.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:55   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Actually, there would never have been an "Imbalance" if Americans didn't want the CHEAP low quality goods and the big internationals thought longer term than their short term gains.
So Toyota is a low quality?

Sorry but this isn't about the quality of goods but about the rules that allow easy imports in one direction but not in the other.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:14   #71

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:

It's a little more complicated than "we've been the nice guys here". The US has had huge advantages over the last 70 odd years being the supplier of the "worlds reserve currency" for a number of reasons you have been able to consume alot more than you produce. You have been the world's greatest consumer nation, can't really blame others if your books don't balance because of the above luxury.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:43   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
It's a little more complicated than "we've been the nice guys here". The US has had huge advantages over the last 70 odd years being the supplier of the "worlds reserve currency" for a number of reasons you have been able to consume alot more than you produce. You have been the world's greatest consumer nation, can't really blame others if your books don't balance because of the above luxury.
Agreed, after Japan and Gemany instigated a war that destroyed, every industrialized area in the world except the USA, we did have a huge advantage as the only place left standing.

But those days are long since over. By the early 80's, it actually had reversed with the USA still having many legacy costs but no longer being the only industrialized area.

Of course having the reserve currency is nice but it's a myth that it gives you unlimited buying power. If we were overspending, we would have lost reserve status long ago. We still manage to produce as much as we consume but it's imbalanced between individual countries and specific trade products.

Certainly we can blame others if our books don't balance with a country when that country puts up trade barriers. We've had a slow motion trade war going on for several decades. Now if the playing field is level and we lose, then we have to look at ourselves but that's not the case right now.

Looping back to the subject of the thread, this is one area where we have shot ourselves in the foot by making our commercial shipping regulations too difficult and expensive.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:00   #73

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Agreed, after Japan and Gemany instigated a war that destroyed, every industrialized area in the world except the USA, we did have a huge advantage as the only place left standing.

But those days are long since over. By the early 80's, it actually had reversed with the USA still having many legacy costs but no longer being the only industrialized area.

Of course having the reserve currency is nice but it's a myth that it gives you unlimited buying power. If we were overspending, we would have lost reserve status long ago. We still manage to produce as much as we consume but it's imbalanced between individual countries and specific trade products.

Certainly we can blame others if our books don't balance with a country when that country puts up trade barriers. We've had a slow motion trade war going on for several decades. Now if the playing field is level and we lose, then we have to look at ourselves but that's not the case right now.

Looping back to the subject of the thread, this is one area where we have shot ourselves in the foot by making our commercial shipping regulations too difficult and expensive.
Your dollars aren't just wanted, their needed eg. the petro dollar, thus the argument "if we over spent we wouldn't be the world's reserve currency" just isn't true. The above example guarantees you stay the reserve currency regardless of you being the largest debtor nation in history.

And its not just you were the last man standing at the end of WII, much has happened along the way eg Nixon ending the Bretton Woods system, basically making the Usd Gold since 71.

Don't misunderstand me, the US has been the greatest nation of mine and your time BUT crying it's not fair because you don't like the downside of the privileges you have and have had, dosent cut it.

The world's been on sale for along time if you have USD, it's valuable because the rest of the world wants it and needs it, the US government guaranteed this in the 70's, your able to raise huge amounts of capital because people want your debt, as the Usd is considered a safe haven. Can't have it both ways.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:14   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Your dollars aren't just wanted, their needed eg. the petro dollar, thus the argument "if we over spent we wouldn't be the world's reserve currency" just isn't true. The above example guarantees you stay the reserve currency regardless of you being the largest debtor nation in history.
There's nothing magical about the petro/reserve dollar. It works as long as they trust us not to pull a Venezuela or similar stupid economic tricks.

We are far from the largest debtor nation in history on a per captia basis. If we were our currency would be devalued accordingly.

Yes, the USA is far from perfect but that doesn't mean we should roll over and take it when the rules are unequal against us.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:33   #75

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
So Toyota is a low quality?

Sorry but this isn't about the quality of goods but about the rules that allow easy imports in one direction but not in the other.
You have that right. Quality is no longer an issue if anything it may have reversed. It is the tariffs one way but not the other. It also comes down to people demanding wages not commensurate with their talents it is a global economy.
I feel sure that will bring down fire and brimstone from some of my countrymen. Probably not as much from other counties. Sorry I think I said lets keep it about boats not politics. I consider that economics not politics.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulations, rum