Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 19:29   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"700 boating-related fatalities in the U.S. last year, fewer than 20 occurred on sailboats"
Could mean there are 35x more motorboats than sailboats in the US (or 35x more motor-boating-hours than sb-hours) and the number of Darwinners is the same on both. Or, the slower speed of a sailboat favors the slower reaction times of a drunk?
Yes, I agree, but I doubt the disparity is quite that large.
Old 12-05-2010, 20:25   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I went sailing with a friend a while back and told a story of being under sail and having a boat on a course for me showing no sign of giving way. It came to me that he was a crabber and was in fact active fishing and it was up to me to give way. It wasn't immediately obvious to me that he was fishing but crabbers can move quite fast when dropping traps. My friend was surprised that someone fishing commercially would in fact have the right of way. He has been sailing a long time and had his power squadron but in my opinion really needed to refresh his understanding of the rules out there. Now this only applies when the act of fishing is happening but I've also experienced one local crabber acting like he has the right of way always. I suspect he is beligerent rather then ignorant.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 22:45   #33

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
And a boat in the act of fishing has to hoist a signal. Anyone know what it is?
Old 12-05-2010, 22:57   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
And a boat in the act of fishing has to hoist a signal. Anyone know what it is?

This one is showin in ColRegs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	16075  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 03:49   #35
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I went sailing with a friend a while back and told a story of being under sail and having a boat on a course for me showing no sign of giving way. It came to me that he was a crabber and was in fact active fishing and it was up to me to give way. It wasn't immediately obvious to me that he was fishing but crabbers can move quite fast when dropping traps. My friend was surprised that someone fishing commercially would in fact have the right of way. He has been sailing a long time and had his power squadron but in my opinion really needed to refresh his understanding of the rules out there. Now this only applies when the act of fishing is happening but I've also experienced one local crabber acting like he has the right of way always. I suspect he is beligerent rather then ignorant.
Just goes to show that not eveyone knows the rules, and even if they do not all care. Got to watch out for your own when out there!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 20:09   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
This one is showin in ColRegs
Not sure if the fish icon quoted as shown in Colregs is meant to be leg pull. However, it inclusion may confuse members as to the official requirements in the regs, that is Rule 26 :-
------------------
Fishing Vessels

(a) A vessel engaged in fishing, whether underway or at anchor, shall exhibit only the lights and shapes prescribed by this rule.

(b) A vessel when engaged in trawling, by which is meant the dragging through the water of a dredge net or other apparatus used as a fishing appliance, shall exhibit;

* (i) two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being green and the lower white, or a shape consisting of two cones with their apexes together in a vertical line one above the other; a vessel of less than 20 meters in length may instead of this shape exhibit a basket;
* (ii) a masthead light abaft of and higher than the all-round green light; a vessel of less than 50 meters in length shall not be obliged to exhibit such a light but may do so;
* (iii) when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.

(c) A vessel engaged in fishing, other than trawling, shall exhibit:

* (i) two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower white, or a shape consisting of two cones with their apexes together in a vertical line one above the other; a vessel of less than 20 meters in length may instead of this shape exhibit a basket;
* (ii)when there is outlying gear extending more than 150 meters horizontally from the vessel, an all-round white light or a cone apex upwards in the direction of the gear.
* (iii) when making way through the water, in addition to the lights prescribed in this paragraph, sidelights and a sternlight.

(d) A vessel engaged in fishing in close proximity to other vessels engaged in fishing may exhibit the additional signals described in Annex II to these Regulations.

(e) A vessel when not engaged in fishing shall not exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in this Rule, but only those prescribed for a vessel of her length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rule 26 fishing vessel.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	16125  
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 21:39   #37

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day All,

Re the "engaged in fishing" shapes: I have noticed that here on the East coast of Oz the vast majority of trawlers display their shapes 24/7, no matter what activity they may be engaged in at the time. A similar situation with many dive boats and their "diver down" flags. These practices do nothing to encourage others to recognize the meaning of the shapes.

And one wonders just what shape should be displayed whilst copulating in the cockpit!

Cheers,

Jim nd Ann s/v Insatiable II on the hard at Bayview Slipway, Pittwater, NSW
Old 14-05-2010, 22:06   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day All,

Re the "engaged in fishing" shapes: I have noticed that here on the East coast of Oz the vast majority of trawlers display their shapes 24/7, no matter what activity they may be engaged in at the time. A similar situation with many dive boats and their "diver down" flags. These practices do nothing to encourage others to recognize the meaning of the shapes.

And one wonders just what shape should be displayed whilst copulating in the cockpit!

Cheers,

Jim nd Ann s/v Insatiable II on the hard at Bayview Slipway, Pittwater, NSW
What a reflection on posters when they have nothing useful to contribute to a discussion, will cheapen their commentary with an inappropriate salascious question.
Old 14-05-2010, 22:18   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
What a reflection on posters when they have nothing useful to contribute to a discussion, will cheapen their commentary with an inappropriate salascious question.

Its wasn't a question as Jim used a 'lil "!"

And, Laidback, there is a moment of 2 in our lives that can be excused as levity.

Apart from that I got a giggle from it

I also got a giggle at my fish sign. Another one that Concorded you

Now: The day shapes and the lights, as Jim intelligently noted don't get used properly. In fact I doubt I've seen a correct fishing light or shape in the last 10 months. That includes here in the Med where if a fishing boat has a light at all its Red above White.
In Asia small flashing lights of any colour, red or BLUE is common. But many fishing boats have NO lights at all.

So beware!

All sailors need to be flexible!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 00:12   #40

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
The cones were what I was after, slipping out early morning from Emsworth where there is much dragging for shellfish they are often hauled as the first sailor appears. (Defensive reaction maybe).
No reason not to challenge boats by radio, on the coastguard channel, if you feel they are not being shown appropriately.
Old 15-05-2010, 00:47   #41

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Reading the badly written regulations kinda of justifies the statement, that if you put enough monkeys hammering on keys of a computer keyboard or typewriter you could end up with something almost intelligible.
Old 15-05-2010, 03:06   #42

Agree that the Colregs make difficult reading. Suppose that is the result of some 38 years of amendments, modifications etc. Certainly disagree that they have been put together by monkeys.
The contributors to the current updated edition include ISAF, RYA, US Coastguard, MCA, IMO and many others.
Here is a link to both the full International Rules and the Inland Waters Rules :- Download the NavRules
Old 15-05-2010, 03:10   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
... if you put enough monkeys hammering on keys of a computer keyboard or typewriter you could end up with something almost intelligible.

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
~ Robert Wilensky*

* ➥ Robert Wilensky | EECS at UC Berkeley

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote