Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 07:37   #1

Showing Up In French Polynesia With an Old-ish Zarpe

We're currently in Mexico and of the four of us, one of us has a tourist visa that's set to expire in late January. It's possible, but not at all definite, that we can re-up the tourist visa.

We're planning on leaving Mexico for French Polynesia in mid-late February, so I'm thinking of just grabbing our Zarpe and clearing out while our visas are still good.

I imagine plenty of boats get their zarpe, then get stuck before leaving, then end up leaving with an old-ish zarpe.

To put it in context, it's a ~30 day passage and we'd have a ~50-60 day old zarpe. The more I think about it the more I can't imagine that being a huge issue, but it is the French we're talking about here.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 08:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Showing Up In French Polynesia With an Old-ish Zarpe

If your planning a non-stop I can't visualise any problems really.. some boats took over 50 days from Panama when I went across in 2012.. calms etc.. we took 37 non stop in a 54ftr..
They were very laid back in Nuku Hiva.. whether it was down to me and crew being Brits I don't know but we got in late Friday and got to the office as it was closing... "Come back sometime next week.. no worries.." was the response.
Oh... and we had no ZARPE... to much being pissed about in Panama to be bothered..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 08:06   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Showing Up In French Polynesia With an Old-ish Zarpe

But you cant stay legally in mecico after you have got your Zarpe as thats clearing out.

Dont Mixicans shoot you for that?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 08:49   #4

If you think renewing your visa is a pain, just imagine what it will take to clear you up if you get boarded a few weeks after you are supposed to be gone. We all like to bend rules a little, but if you get caught , you just make it harder for the next guy. Old CCA saying (Always Leave A Clean Wake). More than likely you wont have a problem, but it is a roll of the dice. Just my opinion. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 09:04   #5

Boat: 55 Frers Mahog

Leave now while you have the chance.
Old 13-01-2014, 09:14   #6

Boat: Fantasia 35

RH,

This is not a suggestion, but just something to think about. Many years ago a Port Captain in Baja would clear boats in and for every port along its route and issue a Zarpe. He was the only one that was providing this service. It might be possible to plan a route to leave Mexico that doesn't take you to a major port prior to your actual departure date. This might be enough to justify a post dated Zarpe. Just a thought.

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 09:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If your planning a non-stop I can't visualise any problems really.. some boats took over 50 days from Panama when I went across in 2012.. calms etc.. we took 37 non stop in a 54ftr..
They were very laid back in Nuku Hiva.. whether it was down to me and crew being Brits I don't know but we got in late Friday and got to the office as it was closing... "Come back sometime next week.. no worries.." was the response.
Oh... and we had no ZARPE... to much being pissed about in Panama to be bothered..
Thanks, that's kind of what I was imagining. I'm sure there are plenty of boats that take nearly as long to complete the passage as our Zarpe will be old anyway.

Regarding being in Mexico with an up-to-date visa, it's for a kid who's a Mexican citizen anyway and doesn't need one, but she's sans-Mexican passport so I'd rather keep everything simple.
Old 13-01-2014, 09:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Leave now while you have the chance.
There are other threads, several of them, to get into that topic.
Old 13-01-2014, 09:23   #9

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We left Banderas Bay for Hiva Oa in March of 2011. With our Zarpe in hand, it took us 18 days to make the crossing (36 hours of motoring). However, when we checked-in with the Gendarme in Hiva Oa, they weren't the least bit interested in our Zarpe and never even looked at it.

Whereas I'm not advocating being in any country with an expired visa, I have never been asked to produce my tourist visa in Mexico or anywhere else except upon formally leaving the country.

We did overstay our visa in French Polynesia by a couple of weeks and we were told of anecdotes of those who had overstayed their visas by months. Again, I'm not suggesting either.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 10:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Thanks, that's kind of what I was imagining. I'm sure there are plenty of boats that take nearly as long to complete the passage as our Zarpe will be old anyway.

Regarding being in Mexico with an up-to-date visa, it's for a kid who's a Mexican citizen anyway and doesn't need one, but she's sans-Mexican passport so I'd rather keep everything simple.
RH,

The kid must be on an adults passport. This is very important! Otherwise you will be in big trouble. Like human trafficking or kidnapping.

Paul
Old 13-01-2014, 10:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
RH,

The kid must be on an adults passport. This is very important! Otherwise you will be in big trouble. Like human trafficking or kidnapping.

Paul
Correction...

As of 1 June 2009 the kid must have her own passport.

Parents' Corner
Old 13-01-2014, 11:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
RH,

Paul
She has her own passport, it's a US passport. She doesn't need a tourist visa in Mexico because she's a Mexican citizen as well.
Old 13-01-2014, 11:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We left Banderas Bay for Hiva Oa in March of 2011. With our Zarpe in hand, it took us 18 days to make the crossing (36 hours of motoring). However, when we checked-in with the Gendarme in Hiva Oa, they weren't the least bit interested in our Zarpe and never even looked at it.

Whereas I'm not advocating being in any country with an expired visa, I have never been asked to produce my tourist visa in Mexico or anywhere else except upon formally leaving the country.

We did overstay our visa in French Polynesia by a couple of weeks and we were told of anecdotes of those who had overstayed their visas by months. Again, I'm not suggesting either.

Fair winds and calm seas.
That's perfect, just what I was looking to hear. We'll clear out a little early and call it good.
Old 13-01-2014, 12:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

RH,

Sorry for the bother. It was the "Mexican citizen" "sans-Mexican passport" the got me worried. That, and under some conditions kids can enter the U.S. with a birth certificate with their parents. Thinking that you might have misunderstood that that is only an exception for entering the U.S. by land or sea. Just didn't want to read about you guys having troubles later.

Take care,

Paul
Old 13-01-2014, 12:33   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

We are in FP now (Marquesas). The Gendarme could care less about the zarpe upon arrival. Like all French territories, they are very relaxed about arrival paperwork.

The bond, and not overstaying on the other hand, are strictly enforced. It is almost impossible to get an extension (we know of one American on a British boat that got a 2 month extension, but another Canadian friend was told no, and had to leave immediately) after you have arrived.

Tags
enc, French Polynesia