Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 07:52   #1
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Safety Inspections in Your Area?

Of the many things I have learnt from CF over the years, one thing that still seems strange (to me) is the matter of boarding and "safety inspections" by some government agency or another.

My question is "are boat safety inspections (especially boarded inspections) often carried out in your country (or part of the area you operate in) and if so, by whom?"

It would be nice if you could just keep to the facts (or at least to your experience) rather than this thread becoming a rant over perceived harassment, dumb rules or similar .

For starters, it seems to me (from the posts on CF) that in the USA, the USCG regularly carries out boardings for the purpose of conducting a safety inspection of the required safety items mandated to be aboard. Is this factual? Does this vary much for one area to another? Do other USA government agencies do similar.

From various posts by DOJ, it would seem such things are rare in his area ('cause apparently they are civilized where he lives )!

FWIW, in Australia, marine matters are individual state issues and there are minor differences between states; well, not so minor when it comes to the diligent enactment of such things.

In WA (Western Oz, not that other WA), the water police (just an arm of the state police service) are responsible for compliance with the state maritime requirements although I believe (but don't know for sure) that the Fisheries Inspectors also have powers regarding compliance with general boating matters.

Around here I am not aware of any sailing boat ever being boarded for a safety compliance inspection but I guess it does happen occasionally. I know that occasionally they carry out a brief check on the water (without boarding) and will sometimes carry out checks on foot at marinas - usually on a weekend when there are plenty of people on their boats. Much more often they target trailer boats (sail or power) at boat ramps.

This post is already long enough but if there is any interest in this topic, I will relate (at a later date) an amusing compliance check I was party to.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
In Singapore a boat inspection is mandatory at license renewal every third year. I had the boat inspected this year and while he had some questions I passed.

In theory they can board you. There is a large presence because Malaysia is so close and primary job is border protection. In 5 years ai have never been boarded and only approached once when we anchored went ashore and had a beach party. The observed us for about 5 hours passing by every hour. Around 11 pm they cam to shore and told us we weren't allowed to hiave a fire on the beach. Just as well as we had run out of combustible material.

In other words they could have played the heavies early in the evening but clearly let us have our fun before giving us the news. All in all good blokes doing a good job.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Safety Inspections in Your Area?

None.

No Minimum "safety" requirements (by flag or by local regulations)
No reason to inspect (see above)
No need to have any inspectors, afloat or onshore (see above)

Most of us are still alive.....and strictly between you and me, it ain't got anything to do with us all being very intelligent or outstanding seamen. More to do with not (on average) being dumber than rocks, being tight with money (no money = no gubberment) and having no great interest in telling others what to do.......and we do have very liberal gun ownership laws (handguns and tripod mounted stuff!), just very low gun ownership levels - if you be truly free, you don't need a gun as a comfort blanket.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:43   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Over the last year, I have been approched by USCG 6 times, while sailing around the Florida Keys, and the Bahamas. I was never boarded, They typically asked where I was going and where I had been. Sometimes they asked if I had seen an overdue boat that they were looking for. They were always very nice and respectful as was I. While in the Bahamas we never saw a patrol boat of any kind and never had anyone question us.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
None.

No Minimum "safety" requirements (by flag or by local regulations)
No reason to inspect (see above)
No need to have any inspectors, afloat or onshore (see above)

Most of us are still alive.....and strictly between you and me, it ain't got anything to do with us all being very intelligent or outstanding seamen. More to do with not (on average) being dumber than rocks, being tight with money (no money = no gubberment) and having no great interest in telling others what to do.......and we do have very liberal gun ownership laws (handguns and tripod mounted stuff!), just very low gun ownership levels - if you be truly free, you don't need a gun as a comfort blanket.
Really, Dave? Really?

Post 3 in a thread about boat inspections and you play the gun card?

This will be a short thread...

Rule 1 of CF - every thread must be turned into a gun, pirate, anchor or mono v multi thread within 3 posts - LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:52   #6

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

I've never been stopped. I've watched the USCG stop several powerboats on a lake on one afternoon that is part of the channel from the locks I have to transit. It looked like a spring checkup on boats. They were driving right past all the sailboats.

I've had two friends stopped for safety inspections by USCG. They were both near the U.S. Canada border.

I think I've read on CF that local police don't have the authority for safety inspections. I've only seen the local police stop people for cause, speeding, out of date tabs, etc, but then I've seen people hold up life jackets apparently in response to questions by the officers.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 14:52   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. But they do not touch foreigners. I think it is the harbour police here and further out it is their Guardia Civil.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 15:10   #8

Boat: Lagoon 440

2 Experiences,
1)Anchored at Yellow Patch on Nth Western end of Curtis Island Queensland Australia. at 7pm a Black Rib with no lights appeared from nowhere, we could hear there engine but there were no lights.

They wore night vision glasses. They came along side asked for license, and checked rego. Had a discussion noted we were locals, asked if we knew of any other boats upstream then happily bid goodnight and left into the darkness (10 MINUTES).
Their mother boat was anchored out they were water police, this is a drug detection unit, yes we were shocked but they were very civil.

2) In Sibenik Croatia we were tied stern to the wharf on a public holiday, unannounced a uniformed water Policija walked aboard and announced he was there to do a safety inspection, he was polite civil and had no issues, we were very courteous not wanting to piss off some authority in a foreign country.

Sticking points were that we had "no axe" and we had "no paddles" keeping in mind this is a 23 foot beam 10 tonne Lagoon 440!!!.

Next day we bought an axe.......
This is their country, we have no issue complying with their requests, it's just where do you buy 20' long paddles??

We find usually you get what you give, be a smartarse and you'll get the pineapple treatment....
Cheers Frank
Old 04-07-2012, 15:20   #9

Boat: Tartan 30

I was stopped by the USCG about 1/2 mile from my marina last year. They boarded me and conducted a comprehensive safety inspection. They checked my head thru-hull, peered into the bilge ("to check for leaks and make sure we were seaworthy"), checked for proper MARPOL stickers, PFD's, Fire Extinguishers, etc... They also noted my insurance and registration and did a police style check on my drivers license.

I was under sail at the time with my parents aboard in the cockpit. So, it wasn't a 'suspicious activity' type of boarding, it was an obvious random safety inspection.

They were very polite and professional. Took the time to chat and comment on the boat and sailing and things...

As soon as they left my boat they sped off and stopped the very next boat they saw.

This was in Hampton Roads, VA. USA

NOTE: I passed.

(edit) Also to note. They didn't check my passengers drivers license or ID's or anything. Just mine (as the operator/owner).
Old 04-07-2012, 15:41   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Really, Dave? Really?

Post 3 in a thread about boat inspections and you play the gun card?

This will be a short thread...

Rule 1 of CF - every thread must be turned into a gun, pirate, anchor or mono v multi thread within 3 posts - LOL
Well, shoot me

Just making the point that everyone is 100% compliant with all applicable regulations - unlike other places......and we have the cash in our pockets to prove that .
Old 04-07-2012, 15:43   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Never been stopped or inspected. They are always in a hurry going somewhere.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 15:45   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Down the Bayou here in Louisiana, the USCG has a large amount of men and boats. They are very good about home or Marina Inspections. We have requested a couple of inspections since we have been here ! The first time the Commander of the Local USCG who was brand new to the area, came with her crew, to see what they were doing out in the public! she was very personable and very nice person,they were so nice and helpfull we Invited them to stay for a shrimp boil we were having that day and they stayed!! Mostly since then we get a wave and smiles when we see any of thier patrol boats ! Now offshore theres a different group of folks patroling the coast line, and it seems like theres different rules !!LOL of course there is a large bunch of nasty stuff being brought in to the state by water!! so they are always on the look out and on edge also so a big smile and welcome aboard helps a bunch!! I still don't like the armed crew aboard my boat but they have been very courteous and non destructive!! and we have only been boarded twice in the last 5 yrs So thats not so bad !! sorta makes ya feel a little safer knowing they are around if ya need some help don't ya think so ?? just our 2 cents
Old 04-07-2012, 15:48   #13

It should be noted that you can invite the USCG to do a free inspection of your boat whenever you want, to make sure you're in compliance.

Sounds odd, but it helps if you're unsure about the regulations. They will tell what you're lacking and prevent you from getting ticketed during a 'real' inspection.
Old 04-07-2012, 15:51   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
It should be noted that you can invite the USCG to do a free inspection of your boat whenever you want, to make sure you're in compliance.

Sounds odd, but it helps if you're unsure about the regulations. They will tell what you're lacking and prevent you from getting ticketed during a 'real' inspection.

It's always good to denounce yourself, just in case
Old 04-07-2012, 15:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
It's always good to denounce yourself, just in case
Yes. It's important to know whether you're limit pushing abilities are working or not.

Tags
safety