Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 06:41   #1

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Taking a SailBoat to Bermuda

Greetings,

Let me preface this by saying I know very little about messing around in boats, most of my education has been reading everything yall post on this forum.

I was curious to know if there are any Bermudians here that could answer a question? Or anyone else who may know, please chime in.

I am Bermudian, presently living in the US. I will be purchasing a sailboat soon and will be wanting to take it to Bermuda. I need to know what paperwork will I need from the seller to register this vessel in Bermuda. There is no broker involved in this transaction, the vessel is not USCG registered as far as I know, the vessel is presently in Florida, and I am not sure that it even has a Florida registration.

This will be my first purchase of a sailing vessel, and my first introduction into sailing. My game plan is to learn to sail the vessel before I leave Florida, then make a passage sometime in late december or early january.

Thanks you for your time in reading this post and I look forward to all the great wisdom That I hope will be heaped on me.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:00   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Taking a SailBoat to Bermuda

As far as the "Florida registration" - if the boat is larger than 16 ft or if it is "powered" and is being used "in the waters of the State of Florida" - it is legally supposed to be registered in Florida. In that case there would be a "State Title" with the boat and the purchase could be effected by simply filling out the information on the back of the Florida Title paper.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 07:17   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Taking a SailBoat to Bermuda

Contact the yacht reporting centre of H.M Customs at 441-297-1247. They will steer you in the correct direction.
PM me some details-will help you.

Tags
Bermuda, sailboat