Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 13:08   #691

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: New Zealand Immigration Officer Making Wild Claims

Man thread drift! I hate to dip my toes in this pool cause folks seem to be getting pretty riled up but I feel I gotta stick up for the downtrodden

Haven't been around for a while so might be a bit out of the loop here, but it seems we here at CF have developed a habit of...well, blowing things a little out of proportion. The original op post provides plenty of fodder for the pro and con folks, please don't make him responsible for the downfall of man and ensuing global -fill in the blank- crisis.

He is not the only sailor who has had clearing in and out issues, he not the only sailor to be sailing around on a boat with faded paint job or set up in a manner not to the average sailors liking. Folks complain about the "consumers disposable mentality" then the intrepid recycler this guy seems to be ( my interpretation) gets slack for creatively making ends meet to be able to go cruising. Cut some slack, average and fancy schmancy boats sink and get run over too.

One of my favorite cruising encounters was a young kid who sailed with no engine and sang at bars to keep the cruising kitty going, his hit song at the bars, and life mantra I imagine, was " i got a dollar in my pocket and a dirty shirt, and I ain't changing neither". I love folks like that. I guess I'm a sucker for a hippie/nomad/vagabond, they are a dying breed.

I'm sorry if NZ is feeling the squeeze from the cruising community. We come there cause they let us, I hope it stays that way. I still wonder if the data supports the new laws, are there less rescue calls? Loss of life?

Peace, and to the OP, fair winds and following seas!
Ocean Girl
Old 09-07-2013, 13:15   #692

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
I think it's great the US posters on here seem to hate NZ so much.
I'm an American, and love NZ. Only got to spend a month there on vacation a few years ago, plus some time in the early 90s on the way to the ice, loved it.

Ignore the idiots, we have to do that here, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 09-07-2013, 13:34   #693

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
I think it's great the US posters on here seem to hate NZ so much.
Wild Claims again! My experience is the opposite.
Old 09-07-2013, 15:12   #694

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies
I think it's great the US posters on here seem to hate NZ so much. Your forefathers enjoyed our hospitality though. They were welcome.
Is this you rolling up the welcome mat to us young whipper snappers from the U.S.?
Old 09-07-2013, 18:56   #695

Boat: Westsail 32

My question is about pressure washing the hull. How is this a safety issue? Does a clean hull mean that a faster boat is less likely to have an accident? Or is the pressure wash needed to see if the hull has any cracks in it? Would it not have been done when the boat first came out of the water? It is a Bristol with a very good reputation and a thick fiberglass hull I do believe.

Seems to me that the op is the tail wagging the dog........(the anti Obama care, gun tot'n, Texan, Republicans wanting freedom from Nanny States.) See it for what it is. What I want to know is why the deafening silence from the other side? Is there anything else don't we know about this case that is not being told until the OP leaves Opua? If that is the case, they are just as guilty of manipulating us as the OP. Anyway, despite all the inflammatory rhetoric, I doubt whether any opinions have been changed in this debate.
Old 09-07-2013, 19:22   #696
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeback View Post
My question is about pressure washing the hull. How is this a safety issue? Does a clean hull mean that a faster boat is less likely to have an accident? Or is the pressure wash needed to see if the hull has any cracks in it? Would it not have been done when the boat first came out of the water? It is a Bristol with a very good reputation and a thick fiberglass hull I do believe.

Seems to me that the op is the tail wagging the dog........(the anti Obama care, gun tot'n, Texan, Republicans wanting freedom from Nanny States.) See it for what it is. What I want to know is why the deafening silence from the other side? Is there anything else don't we know about this case that is not being told until the OP leaves Opua? If that is the case, they are just as guilty of manipulating us as the OP. Anyway, despite all the inflammatory rhetoric, I doubt whether any opinions have been changed in this debate.
It is very simple, he is an overstayer caught out when he went to check out.

He has had a free haulout, antifoul,masthead lights as well as food and hospitality from the Opua locals and businesses.

He should be the last one to have made any noise at all about his treatment, after all as has been pointed out already buy others, had this been anyone in his home country they would have no boat , been imprisoned and put on the next plane out of there with no hope of coming back.

Why only silence from the "other side"? I presume you mean Immigration and Customs here and under NZ privacy laws they are not allowed to comment on any case unless with the written consent of the person being commented on and I very much doubt that he will do that.

Having been to Opua and asked about the situation personally , I believe the Op should keep quiet , set his sails , and be grateful for the extended hospitality and generosity he has been given. Its how we do it down here , we make everyone feel welcome regardless of how ungrateful they want to be afterwards.

Come on , what exactly has he to complain about, after all we have had the most glorious summer ever here with a drought all through Jan, feb,march,april and even with the rain the last 2 weeks we still have warmer than ever winter weather.

The "window of opportunity" for the OP to leave when his visa expired must have been too hot and the fishing just too good.

While not trying to be too sarcastic , it is about time that everyone agreed he was wrong in his own actions and brought the consequences upon himself.

Good luck to him wherever he sails next, I am sure the port authorities there will be aware of him and extend the suitable welcoming arm to him.
Old 09-07-2013, 19:23   #697

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We are American, and have been to NZ a few times already! Loved it there ,loved the folks there! But after reading No Ties posts on this subject, from pure hate to accuseing folks of being drug addicts just because they don't keep a boat to his desires! I have thoughts about ever going there again ! Heck we grow herbs and even flowers aboard, gee maybe we might be targeted the same way the PO was ! I know he messed up, and he broke the rules, seems like the powers that be treated him way better then he probley deserved, but to hear No Ties he's the devil in drag LOL Come on fella this guy do listen to a different drummer for sure but he sounds like he would be fun to have a pot luck and a bar-b with !! Just an old semi hippy cheap cruisers 2 cents
Old 09-07-2013, 19:25   #698
Marine Service Provider

Well, the OP is now under sail and heading out of the Bay of Islands bound to who knows where. That's after his boat got anti-fouled, Nav lights and a few other things making it safer and likely to get to the next destination, all paid for by the NZ taxpayer.

Now please just make sure you make it to the next port please Sean.
Old 09-07-2013, 19:46   #699

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Well, the OP is now under sail and heading out of the Bay of Islands bound to who knows where. That's after his boat got anti-fouled, Nav lights and a few other things making it safer and likely to get to the next destination, all paid for by the NZ taxpayer.

It seems to me that the OP stated about 8 pages back that the improvements were in fact donated by generous private individuals and not the NZ taxpayers. Do you know something different?
Old 09-07-2013, 22:45   #700

Thanks NZ for hooking one of our bros up! BTW, I got the superb pleasure of visiting NZ for a couple days a year to two ago and just loved the place. I do want to go back, it was extraordinary.

Peace! CB
Old 10-07-2013, 01:59   #701
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post

Hmm... I have no beef with the OP but I expect that if he turns up in Oz, our Quarantine, Immigration and Customs folk may not be so easy to deal with or as understanding as their Kiwi counterparts - especially if he overstays.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 10-07-2013, 02:56   #702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... I have no beef with the OP but I expect that if he turns up in Oz, our Quarantine, Immigration and Customs folk may not be so easy to deal with or as understanding as their Kiwi counterparts - especially if he overstays.
Does anybody know if NZ immigration put some sort of stamp in the passport to mark an overstay? Reading the rules it isn't clear if the 2 year ban applicable in these situations applies to all overstayers or just those who are deported as opposed to leaving voluntarily.

As a subsidiary question, has anybody here ever got such a ban and does it impact on your ability to visit third countries? Would for instance Australia deny him entry if he has a NZ overstay record, and if so how long would such a ban last?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:13   #703
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdf27 View Post
Does anybody know if NZ immigration put some sort of stamp in the passport to mark an overstay? Reading the rules it isn't clear if the 2 year ban applicable in these situations applies to all overstayers or just those who are deported as opposed to leaving voluntarily.

As a subsidiary question, has anybody here ever got such a ban and does it impact on your ability to visit third countries? Would for instance Australia deny him entry if he has a NZ overstay record, and if so how long would such a ban last?
the op said that,under the agreement made with the immigration that he could return to nz,there was no ban,niether was he blacklisted.,as he was able to leave voluntarily.

People who are deported face a ban on returning and are required to pay the cost of their deportation before they can be considered for a visa, said Immigration fraud and compliance manager Peter Elms. In the past five years, the agency managed to recover only about 10 per cent of the cost from the 3918 it deported.

Mr Elms said the agency was now focused on encouraging overstayers to depart at their own cost.

"Voluntary departure enables the individual to co-operate with Immigration, settle their affairs and pay for their own costs in returning to their home country," Mr Elms said.

Last year, there were 1393 voluntary departures compared with 767 deportations, up from 842 in 2008 and 1163 in 2011.

Mr Elms said the Crown would still meet the cost for those unable to pay their own way.

By Lincoln Tan

Source NZ Herald

quote:http://www.nznewsuk.co.uk/migration/...r-deportations
Old 10-07-2013, 03:16   #704

Boat: Trismus 37

He would be required to give Australia a minimum of 96 hours (I think) notification of his arrival, hopefully he did this prior to setting sail. Confirmation of their receiviing this notification is generally adviseable as there have been instances of them not accepting that the notification had been sent. This being said, and the aforesaid being done, they would be aware of intended arrival, if he was to be turned away or refused entry they would have done that at that stage. I'm sure NZ and Aussie immigration / customs communicate closely when there is a common interest. Of course I could be guessing up a gum tree.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:22   #705
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
He would be required to give Australia a minimum of 96 hours (I think) notification of his arrival, hopefully he did this prior to setting sail. Confirmation of their receiviing this notification is generally adviseable as there have been instances of them not accepting that the notification had been sent. This being said, and the aforesaid being done, they would be aware of intended arrival, if he was to be turned away or refused entry they would have done that at that stage. I'm sure NZ and Aussie immigration / customs communicate closely when there is a common interest. Of course I could be guessing up a gum tree.
he would also have to apply for an e-visa before entering australia,if one has been issued,there is no reason to turn him away,if he has proof of funds for his stay
Closed Thread