Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2012, 21:38   #1

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
I am a long time Landed imigrant in Canada,,bought a boat in San Fran..need help

Ok,,here's the skinney.

I have been a landed immigrant of Canada since 1971. i just recently bought a 31 foot JB SeaRunner in San Rafael Yacht harbor.

13th of June just yesterday i tried to travel via Greyhound from Vancouver (my home) over the border and on down to San Rafael...checked out the Homeland security web site and determined that since i am from a Visa Waver country (England) and am still considered a citizen of same``that i did not need a Visa to journey into the USA.

Ok,,,all good so far...get my tickets,,pay my excess baggage fees,,and board the bus,,,got to the border and Mr Customs man says,,because part of my trip would at some point in the six months period of stay involve traveling to Hawaii,,,he could not in good conscience allow me to go through without first getting a B1 B2 Visa.

So,,back to Vancouver i go,,thinking to myself " he was only doing his job after all" so now i have a boat in San Rafael Harbor, and a Bill of sale not notarized,,and a lengthy wait for an interview with the US Consulate in support of an application for my Visa ,which by the way does not have to be honored by the border staff at all.

Now i am looking for options to take ownership of my Boat.....Any Suggestions (please...no Star trek transporter idea's, just good old fashioned Matter delivery)

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 22:12   #2

Re: I am a long time Landed imigrant in Canada,,bought a boat in San Fran..need help

I just had a fleeting idea!!! yes yes,,it hurt!!!
How much do you think it would cost me to pay someone to sail the boat to the nearest Mexican harbor from San Francisco,,,i could probably fly direct from Vancouver to meet said person and my boat and take over from there...
waddaya think,,,,,far fetched,,,Logical.....??????
In the mean time i could continue with my visa applications and get a cruising permit......by the way,,,,how does one acquire a cruising permit anyway's..??????

Old 14-06-2012, 22:12   #3

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"
Re: I am a long time Landed imigrant in Canada,,bought a boat in San Fran..need help

Did you purchase sight unseen? (And possibly from a dealer named Theo?--not that this is a bad thing). If so, did you have it surveyed? I ask because if not, you might want to have a survey while you're waiting. Also, were you planning on sailing her back up? If so, might want to spend a little time shaking out the bugs first.
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 22:14   #4

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"

It ain't gonna be cheap. And again, cruising offshore in a boat untested is tempting fate.
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 22:25   #5

Yes i purchased over the Internut,,,from a private individual,,have been communicating with him since March of this year,,i trust him.

My plan was to take the boat from San Fran along the coast to Mexico and around to Lapaz after a few shakedowns in Sanfrancisco harbor.
Then next year think about sailing to Hawaii to do the great pacific loop to Vancouver(possibly with some added crew)

My problem is one of shoe strings (finance) i am on a short leash (medical pension) and am paying for moorage in San Rafael while i sit up here in Vancouver,,frustrated without my boat.

I have to resolve this dilemma equitably and survive financially to sail again..
So i ask again,,,what kind of money am i looking at to have someone sail the boat to the nearest Mexican harbor where i can take possession.???

Old 15-06-2012, 02:40   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

in the short term flying into sf on a return ticket,should get you in under the visa waiver program,then departing american waters and NOT re-entering by yacht is generally acceptable.

how ever for entering any american port by private vessel you will need a full b1 b2 visa,best bet is to contact the us consul in canada,explain the situation,they will want to see your canadian residents permit and bank statements,bill of sale etc, then issue a visa.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 07:49   #7

Yeah,,i am just starting the B1B2 application now,,there is a huge backlog which may take over a month to get an interview.
Oh happy day's...

Old 15-06-2012, 07:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
Yeah,,i am just starting the B1B2 application now,,there is a huge backlog which may take over a month to get an interview.
Oh happy day's...
it would have had to be done anyway if you wanted to sail to hawaii,probably with much more hassel in mexico city
Old 15-06-2012, 08:36   #9

Hi Atoll, just checked requirements for Mexico, turns out if you are from Canada, England,or the United State's you don't need a Visa, just your Passport,,and Failing that..a drivers license with a current picture on it.

Old 15-06-2012, 09:19   #10

because part of my trip would at some point in the six months period of stay involve traveling to Hawaii,
why dont you change your mind about going to Hawaii... you can always change your mind again later.... Am I missing something here? Thousands of Canadians cross the border here every day....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 09:53   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
Hi Atoll, just checked requirements for Mexico, turns out if you are from Canada, England,or the United State's you don't need a Visa, just your Passport,,and Failing that..a drivers license with a current picture on it.
i was refering to applying for the usa visa in mexico city,which is much harder than applying for it in your country of residence,as you may be asked for current empolyment details,current residential address,proof of funds etc which becomes much more difficult to prove once one becomes an itinerant traveler of no fixed abode with limited funds......
Old 15-06-2012, 10:03   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

You can hire a skipper to deliver the boat to any location. But expect that there may be both a delivery fee and a pay for getting the boat deliverable.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 13:07   #13

Once you have tried to cross into the U.S. and failed, you are finger printed and then ordered not to try cross again until a visit to the U.S. Consulate has been done and Visa B1B2 issued, once in the system it is truly a Hat Dance and they get to pick the tune.
When i first researched what i would need to complete my journey,i found no mention whatsoever of the need for a permit,,as i was from a Visa Waiver country.
But lo and behold since i am stepping foot aboard my boat once in San-Rafael this brought up a whole unforseen challenge, as the Visa Waiver does not apply to Boat travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
because part of my trip would at some point in the six months period of stay involve traveling to Hawaii,
why dont you change your mind about going to Hawaii... you can always change your mind again later.... Am I missing something here? Thousands of Canadians cross the border here every day....

Old 15-06-2012, 13:09   #14

And therein lies part of my problem, as i am on a Medical disability pension.
I am wandering just what they consider adequate funds to live on????

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i was refering to applying for the usa visa in mexico city,which is much harder than applying for it in your country of residence,as you may be asked for current empolyment details,current residential address,proof of funds etc which becomes much more difficult to prove once one becomes an itinerant traveler of no fixed abode with limited funds......

Old 15-06-2012, 13:39   #15

I have always found that offering as little info as possible in any country is the best practice.
Q: How long will you be staying in Antigua Mr XXX?
A:"Just on vacation for a bit".
Q: You do know there is a 6 month limit?
A: Oh... not nearly that long...

I'm always just a tourist and "change my mind alot...."
To late now I guess, :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada