Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-07-2006, 10:45   #16

I jsut had to chime in my 2 cents worth about this Homeland Security thing. After 9/11, I was always fingered as a possible terrorist and a national security risk. Why, you ask? I guess it's because I'm a homegrown Houma, Louisiana girl. It doesn't matter what I wear or how I look. I have even been taken out of my car in the parking lot at the airport and frisked, had my car searched, etc. I was even told by one of the DHS officials it was because I had the "look". Yes I have brown hair and brown eyes. This last time that I went to the airport I wore everything jewish that I had. Wasn't stopped once.

Old 12-07-2006, 22:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

How IS Houma doing - last time I sped through there (managing to avoid the ever present speed traps) I was headed on down to Fourchon to jump off to a small company's oil platform.

I know that the area between N.O. and Venice suffered (but hasn't really been covered in the news). How did Houma do from the hurricane season?

Old 13-07-2006, 07:43   #18

My parents's house did reasonably well during the hurricane. They were awakened at 5am the day before Katrina hit and told to leave. They drove for 24 hours straight, basically sitting in a very long parking lot, and finally made it to Birmingham, Alabama. They weren't able to get here to Jackson because the highway was so jammed packed. We had it worse here than they had it in Houma. We were on our back balcony during the worst of it and we clocked wind at 100mph. My sister in Mandeville was homeless due to flooding. The family camp on Grand Isle was damaged, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. My parents, on their way back to Houma, dropped off two ice chests filled with ice for us. We were without power for about a week, which is not bad. The only reason we got power back so quickly is because we live next to a fire station.

But we are still alive and that is the most important thing.

So who did you work for in Fourchon-Halliburton?
Old 13-07-2006, 12:12   #19
Senior Cruiser

Small oil company - Shell R & D.
Old 17-10-2006, 16:57   #20
pilgrim

Sonosailor, that cruising permit you mention. Is that a 12 month one issued in Puerto Rico, or a different version? Puerto Rico is last stop for me before Florida and if I can get some of the paperwork there it might make life easier later, on arrival on the mainland. Pilgrim
Old 18-10-2006, 06:20   #21

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Cruising Permit

We got the 12 month permit from a nice customs agent at the airport in Culebra. We first anchored, then dinghied to the bar at the bridge - the Culebra Dinghy Dock. The bartender called the airport to see when there might be a customs agent there, and we made an appointment. It was a nice little walk to get there, and the agent, a veteran of the Iraq war, was a very nice local female officer. We cruised the south side of Puerto Rico, then cleared out of Mayaguez to head for Big Sand Cay. Check out our itinerary at http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/corbetl/

By the way, Culebra is a nice place to bicycle - check out the Culebra Bicycle Shop and say hi to Steve. He will haggle for short ride rates. As well, the best club sandwich we had in the Caribbean was provided by the Culebra Dinghy Dock. Really a neat place, as were many of the spots along Puerto Rico.
Old 18-10-2006, 08:52   #22
pilgrim

Culebra sounds ideal and your excellent website is really helpful too. Thankyou. Pilgrim
Old 19-10-2006, 13:56   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Classic Gov't the world over!

Only been to the US of A once (mainly Vegas! - most expensive pints of free Guinness I have ever had ) - and that was a longggg time ago, enroute from NZ to home (by plane!), came through to immigration at LAX....

Officer: "where are you staying?"

Me:"Dunno, I was intending to find somewhere when I arrived"

Officer: "you MUST have somewhere to stay"

Me: "I am SURE I will be able to find a Hotel"

Officer: "you MUST give me the name of the Hotel"

Me: "I have never been to LA before, I don't know any Hotels"

Officer: "you MUST give me the name of the Hotel"

Me: "I have never been to LA before, I don't know any Hotels"

Officer: Repeats himself, several times

Me: Repeats myself, several times

Long Pause. David thinking.

Me: "Can you suggest anywhere?"

Officer: "I am not allowed to"

Me: "Go on!"

Officer: "Holiday Inn?"

Me: "I WILL be staying at the Holiday Inn"

Officer: "Thank you and have a nice stay"

Took me a while to get my head around the fact that I was stuck in a "loop" - but actually not an unpleasant exchange.

Have been around the world a bit over the years, usually never a problem with the immigrantion and customs folks and no complaints from me in this case about the US immigration (heard "the stories" before and since), and really liked a lot of the folks I met - even in Vegas!, but can't see me ever going back, after Sept 11 too much aggro on the visa front (Being a Euro, I have kinda got used to both no visas in Euroland and visas on arrival at 90% of the other countries that I would normally want to travel to). Big world plenty of placees to see - some of which I even visit by boat!!
Old 27-10-2006, 08:33   #24
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
Elusive, you live in Oxnard and know Fourchon? Thats all part of my old career. Wondered if you know Robin Villa, and the guys at what-now-is-probably Fugro and was once Land and Sea Surveys? Or the old Pelagos crowd down in San Diego?
Old 27-10-2006, 08:34   #25
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
whoops, sorry, off-topic. should have been a PM. mea culpa.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: