Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2014, 13:49   #136
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Florida Boaters Unite: defeat HB 955 and SB 1126

I'm still trying to figure out the "issue". Up here in the NE the local harbormasters generally control moorings and anchoring in the waters under their supervision.

Yet the world hasn't ended.

So for most of us this whole "loss of freedom on the water in Florida" is
Old 20-08-2014, 14:10   #137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out the "issue". Up here in the NE the local harbormasters generally control moorings and anchoring in the waters under their supervision.

Yet the world hasn't ended.

So for most of us this whole "loss of freedom on the water in Florida" is
Perhaps it would help your understanding if you actually sailed in Floridian waters. For those of us who do, this is an issue. I for one appreciate the efforts made to bring it to the forefront.

Try understanding it from the point of view of someone's opinion of a particular brand of boat, say, a Hunter. Does a Hunter owner have more invested in that discussion and perhaps can add more than one who does not own one? Possibly, right?
Old 20-08-2014, 14:27   #138
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Perhaps it would help your understanding if you actually sailed in Floridian waters. For those of us who do, this is an issue. I for one appreciate the efforts made to bring it to the forefront.

Try understanding it from the point of view of someone's opinion of a particular brand of boat, say, a Hunter. Does a Hunter owner have more invested in that discussion and perhaps can add more than one who does not own one? Possibly, right?

So instead of making a trash post and trying to provoke a response at a personal level, how about explaining what the issue is as to how Florida is so special that it somehow can't manage anchorages and harbors in the same method as the other States?

Because as part of the rest of us I'm starting to think you are a bunch of cry babies.

To me the only thing causing this "issue" is some past ruling/law passed at the State level that keeps local communities from governing their own local interests. Normally people cry "Big Brother" on these type of issues.
Old 20-08-2014, 14:54   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

THE big reason Fl has so many issues is seemingly most of the people you speak of from the North East, don't stay there, they come to Florida
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 15:01   #140
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
THE big reason Fl has so many issues is seemingly most of the people you speak of from the North East, don't stay there, they come to Florida
Please explain as that seem a nothing post to me.

The question remains as to why the local Florida communities don't have the same right to govern themselves as in other States.
Old 20-08-2014, 15:05   #141

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Follow up thought. One need not enforce the law, simply react to complaints or install. Web Cam like Lake Boca

Exactly... Even if it's not legitimate. For example, there is a proposed provision to allow up to one week of anchoring in an area for repairs. As soon as you drop hook the guy in the house next to you can pick up the phone and say something like "I think this guy has been anchoring out here for a month! Better cone do something am out it!" He doesn't have to prove anything, you will have to prove you haven't been there for a month. In either case, guess who is going to be asked to move?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 15:12   #142

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Harbor master? Control? Have you been to florida? The entire east coast is the icw and there are houses every square foot on both sides. There are not really harbors like you have up north... It's mostly a big long ditch with a smattering of marinas cut into the sides here and there. The rest is largely already governed by the counties and cities as you say. The rules would allow draconian measures to be taken... And unlike our tolerant northern neighbors many folks down here just don't want us in their back yards.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 15:13   #143

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
So instead of making a trash post and trying to provoke a response at a personal level, how about explaining what the issue is as to how Florida is so special that it somehow can't manage anchorages and harbors in the same method as the other States?

Because as part of the rest of us I'm starting to think you are a bunch of cry babies.

To me the only thing causing this "issue" is some past ruling/law passed at the State level that keeps local communities from governing their own local interests. Normally people cry "Big Brother" on these type of issues.
your post certainly did not appear as a post, nor did it provoke any response at a personal level Thank you for your continued insight, you win, you are right
Old 20-08-2014, 15:15   #144

Boat: currently a power boat :(

I like the new emos btw haha... WHY SO SERIOUS DON?
Old 20-08-2014, 15:31   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Please explain as that seem a nothing post to me.

The question remains as to why the local Florida communities don't have the same right to govern themselves as in other States.

OK, the population density of boats I believe in Fl is way higher than up North.
Note, I do not have any statistics to show that, just like I cannot prove that the
number of derelict boats is higher in Florida too I freely admit that, this is just my
opinion as is the following statements, opinion and observation.
The vast majority of people living in South Fl and the keys were born North
of the Mason-Dixon Line and they seem to be mostly of two types, one type is
wealthy and the other seems to want to live the Jimmy Buffet dream of Paradise,
but the wealthy ones don't want to see them, they seem fine to have their food
prepared by them, or their yards moved etc., but they don't want them near where
they live, they want only their peers to be around them, other wealthy people

Personally I believe the local communities don't have the right to regulate
something that is not theirs, the waters they want to regulate are under I
believe Federal jurisdiction, now this has been overturned several times
for instance you cannot navigate your boat up river to Wakulla springs
More and more public lands are being taken away from the public.
Many resorts advertise private beaches, and they do their best to keep
the public out. A beach up to the mean high water mark is public, not
the resorts, but they move in and occupy that section of beach in front
of the Hotel, don't they?
Old 20-08-2014, 15:50   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:

Think of it this way. A Hunter owner might strongly defend a B&R rig because they understand how they use it. A Hunter owner may even accept more windage than another boat because, as they say, all boats are compromises, and the Hunter owner is happy with other features of the boat, like, say the inside. A Hunter owner knows his boat.

Now look at it from the point of view of those that actually sail in Floridian waters. Others have mentioned, that on the east from Key Biscayne to Stuart there is precious little anchoring availability. Unlike in New England, there are no little bays or coves... it is one solid straight beach with condos almost the whole stretch, and the whole Atlantic for fetch. Your not going to be anchoring there.

There are only a few inlets, and some dangerous, such as Jupiter, if there is anything beyond calm seas.

So that leaves the ICW. Again, there are only a few places that one can even anchor without potentially impeding others.

So when I say you don't understand, is, because, frankly, you don't. It is like me assuming my boat will do what a Hunter does, and the Hunter owner thinking his can do what mine does. It does not work that way.

I can get into a whole other discussion of the Gulf coast side of things.

We are all sailors here, so let's support each other, rather than assuming we know better than those in a situation.
Old 20-08-2014, 15:58   #147
CLOD

So I'm getting a lot of attacks, fine!

I'm still waiting on the why Florida needs special rules different from everywhere else, explain it it for real in a way that isn't just supporting your position of "it does".

Regardless of how the Florida coast is different from the NE, it remains a fact that anchorages in any but isolated "nothing there" area of the NE are controlled by the Harbormaster under local rules setup by the towns etc. Why can not Florida do the same?

Far as the ICW, what are the rules along the Great Loop? Can you anchor anywhere?
Old 20-08-2014, 16:10   #148

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Florida Boaters Unite: defeat HB 955 and SB 1126

Quote:
So I'm getting a lot of attacks, fine!

I'm still waiting on the why Florida needs special rules different from everywhere else, explain it it for real in a way that isn't just supporting your position of "it does".

Regardless of how the Florida coast is different from the NE, it remains a fact that anchorages in any but isolated "nothing there" area of the NE are controlled by the Harbormaster under local rules setup by the towns etc. Why can not Florida do the same?

Far as the ICW, what are the rules along the Great Loop? Can you anchor anywhere?

Avb3 gave you the simple version. The NE has a relatively different shoreline vs SE FL coast with high density shoreline development from Homestead through Stuart. Either your in the Atlantic or your in the "ditch". The Great Loop confuses the issue.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2014, 16:12   #149
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Avb3 gave you the simple version. The NE has a relatively different shoreline vs SE FL coast with high density shoreline development from Homestead through Stuart. Either your in the Atlantic or your in the "ditch". The Great Loop confuses the issue.
Still avoiding the issue of why Florida local communities can not have a say in their areas. I'm not the one trying to cloud that question.
Old 20-08-2014, 16:21   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Personally I do not think Fl needs anything different than the rest of the US.
Navigable waterways are Federally controlled.
Now I am sure you can find anything you want to on the internet, but this explains my point much better than I can
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...vigable+Waters

Tags
florida