Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2012, 16:22   #76

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Entry Reg's n Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
Dont worry the Men in Black are watching
cue Will Smith
We travelled recently to the States to view a boat and travelled under the new ITSA program/system, queues were long due more to incorrect documentation by some.

The officers were extremely polite and there was a fairly jovial atmosphere in the place (this was LA), we don't object to being fingerprinted as we have nil to hide we also see it as a positive method of identification for a host of reasons including, loss of documentation, injury etc.

At times we walked straight through the security however most Aussies have seen the Customs/Border protection shows on TV and have educated themselves to declare everything and be polite, it amazes me the crap people try to get through arguing that it's not food its only family medicine, yet to us it looks like a dead cat!!!!!

Yes it's a freedom removed however we choose to travel so we accept the rules.

Domestic airports in the states suffer so badly by the security provisions as effectively all are treated as International passengers with regard to screening. And it sure slows down the commuters. HOWEVER in every airport the staff did their best, the humour at times was brilliant there seemed to be an effort by the officers to make light hearted of a tedious job.

Yes we had to buy return tickets but as a previous contributor said they are not much dearer than one way and most can be changed.

This cost we see as a direct cost of coming to the States to buy the boat we want.

We never had a Hotel/Accomodation booked preferring to check out the place first, that was not an issue with them.

Smart arse answers = asking for trouble!!!! They hold the rioghts to the rubber gloves and lube so NO THANKS
Old 01-03-2012, 06:36   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Entry Reg's n Rules

Still in the States... Bells and Whistles = more trouble than usual..
Also lost one crew member... Germany has bailed out... moral of the story.. don't have two single female's on the boat with only one guy.... Jeez..!!!!
Been here in Ft Pierce since the 25th trying to sort things.. charger problems, fuel leaks etc... and this was launched in 2004.
Jedi... your welcome to your Sundeer mate... give me a basic 40yr old uder 36ftr any day... to much room and to many problems for my taste... also being a bit dense with things 'Techy' does not help...
Auto pilot only works if Radar and Plotter on so more drain on the elec's...
Anyway... hope to head out in the next hour or so...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:43   #78
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

OMGosh and here was I thinking how you were sailing the briny these last few days.

Well it gives me the chance to wish you well, not only for fair winds and suchlike but just to clear customs and drop the lines!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:03   #79
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

boatman, it sounds like your owners forgot to have a shakedown cruise done BY the delivery crew. At least you are someplace where there are resources to be had, the rest will get worked out.

kettlewell-
"Everyone has been hyper about " It isn't just tickets, everyone has been hyper about everything. Folks seem to have forgotten, shortly after the "no liquids, or maybe, three ounces or less of three liquids" fun began (what, 3 years ago?) here in the US there was a BIG NOOZE STORY about some Pakistani woman somewhere like West Virginia caught boarding a plane with (No!) an empty liter plastic bottle that tested positive on the spot for liquid explosives.
No questions, no doubt, she was an Islamic terrorist headed from a third-tier city to a second-tier city with a bottle used for liquid explosives.

And then, very quietly, two days later one or two small papers broke the story that her bottle had been retested in a real government lab, and confirmed to have had...only water in it. That story never made the national Nooze, only the "Wow, our heroic TSA men saved the world again!" up front.

Having already crossed a few borders quietly and unofficially, both in the day and the night, I have to say I'm getting a liking for doing it this way. No bother, no fuss, walk across and skip the fun. No nefarious purposes needed, no contraband carried. And somehow, no dog and pony show, either.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:34   #80
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
two single female's on the boat with only one guy.... Jeez..!!!!
You kept that one quiet! - serves you right .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02   #81

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
You kept that one quiet! - serves you right .
Originally Posted by boatman61
two single female's on the boat with only one guy.... Jeez..!!!!

Now look what you have done! Perhaps You have upset DOJ by living out one of his dreams.....without him! How could you!

ROTFLMAO

John
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 14:25   #82

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Still in the States... Bells and Whistles = more trouble than usual..
Also lost one crew member... Germany has bailed out... moral of the story.. don't have two single female's on the boat with only one guy.... Jeez..!!!!
Been here in Ft Pierce since the 25th trying to sort things.. charger problems, fuel leaks etc... and this was launched in 2004.
Jedi... your welcome to your Sundeer mate... give me a basic 40yr old uder 36ftr any day... to much room and to many problems for my taste... also being a bit dense with things 'Techy' does not help...
Auto pilot only works if Radar and Plotter on so more drain on the elec's...
Anyway... hope to head out in the next hour or so...
Boatman, given that you're an active delivery skipper, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions on modern yacht building standards.

The older boats have plenty of shortcomings, to be sure, but the current crop, "rated Lloyd's Ocean 'A'", according to the sales drones, sometimes surprise me with their low lifelines, insufficiently backed cleats, thin plywood cabinetry, lack of positive locking for hatches and floor boards, lack of handholds and so on.

They are bright and comfortable at dock and feature all mod cons, but some of these boats alarm me.

I would appreciate your views, perhaps in a new thread.

And no, I'm trying not to be reactionary. I tour the new boats to see the clever stowage or access solutions the old boats don't often have, or the excellent line organization and tidy electrics. It's the "at sea" stuff I have problems with.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 18:53   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Guys....
Guess where I am.... St Martin French side rocks......
1 knockdown... one elec fire in the engine room which had bilges full of diesel had me heading back a few hundred miles for repairs... and there I was thinking hand steering 14hr days was in my past...
Anyway... things now resolved.. more or less so heading out for ANOTHER go in a coupla 3 days or so....
Catchya tomorrow.. or maybe the next day....
And folk wonder why I do this... no way one gets this kinda fun in 9-5 job....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-03-2012, 20:15   #84
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" one elec fire in the engine room which had bilges full of diesel "
Now if I could only find that thread about why you don't need an engine extinguisher if you're using diesel fuel.<G>

Sounds like you deserve 48 hours off and a bottle of rum!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 20:35   #85

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Hey Boatman, remember to come back in one piece!
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 22:47   #86
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm... maybe the next one will easier! Anyway good luck with the rest of the trip, the beer is still cold but perhaps at this rate, I should get some rum in!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 06:42   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Only if its Bundaberg.......

Old 17-03-2012, 07:06   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

pleased to hear you made it safe,tho 23 days to cover 1200 miles!!!!!!!

still think via panama may be quicker!!

did you find the southerly winds lol!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 07:27   #89

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Good to hear from you! Happy St Patty's Day!
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 07:43   #90
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hey Guys....
Guess where I am.... St Martin French side rocks......
1 knockdown... one elec fire in the engine room which had bilges full of diesel had me heading back a few hundred miles for repairs... and there I was thinking hand steering 14hr days was in my past...
Anyway... things now resolved.. more or less so heading out for ANOTHER go in a coupla 3 days or so....
Catchya tomorrow.. or maybe the next day....
And folk wonder why I do this... no way one gets this kinda fun in 9-5 job....
Awesome - totally jealous, mate x x say hi to wothisname for me... erm... that's it, Mark. MarkJ.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote