Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 07:47   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig
Does a Coast Guard Certificate Re-documentation Renew the Certificate?

Happy Friday. I attempted to reach out to the Coast Guard National Vessel Documentation Center with this question but they must be super busy today. Finding a clear answer via Google search this also proved difficult. So I now turn to the CF Brain Trust to rummage around its sea chest of wisdom:

The certificate of documentation on my recently purchased vessel needs to be re-documented. However, I noticed that the current certificate expires April 30, 2015. My question is: Does the re-documentation come with a new issue date (and therefore a new expiration date) or do I need to submit a separate application for certificate renewal? Not the most exciting of threads but I appreciate any input.
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 07:56   #2

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Re: Does a Coast Guard Certificate Re-documentation Renew the Certificate?

Yes, when you transfer documentation from the PO, you should get a new issue/expiration date. Now's the time to change the name of the boat if you want to.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 07:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Happy Friday. I attempted to reach out to the Coast Guard National Vessel Documentation Center with this question but they must be super busy today. Finding a clear answer via Google search this also proved difficult. So I now turn to the CF Brain Trust to rummage around its sea chest of wisdom:

The certificate of documentation on my recently purchased vessel needs to be re-documented. However, I noticed that the current certificate expires April 30, 2015. My question is: Does the re-documentation come with a new issue date (and therefore a new expiration date) or do I need to submit a separate application for certificate renewal? Not the most exciting of threads but I appreciate any input.
Your new certificate will be issued with a new date. It could be before or after the date of the old one from your seller. Since CG will send renewal notice to the old owner 30 days prior to expiration you should file preferably before April 30. When I was documenting my understanding was that most US authorities are OK with "documentation pending" status as long as you have all the supporting docs on board. Not sure about outside the US though.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 07:58   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Yes, when you transfer documentation from the PO, you should get a new issue/expiration date. Now's the time to change the name of the boat if you want to.
You mean without paying the extra fees?
Old 13-03-2015, 07:58   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473

Our certificate was renew when we submitted for re-documentation. We submitted for re-doc in September. When we finally got the certificate in January (when we would normally renew) it had been automatically. Hope that helps. It took a really long time for the re-doc.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 08:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
Our certificate was renew when we submitted for re-documentation. We submitted for re-doc in September. When we finally got the certificate in January (when we would normally renew) it had been automatically. Hope that helps. It took a really long time for the re-doc.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes it is strange that it takes such a long time to re-doc yet renewals are very quick. So far anyway.
Old 13-03-2015, 08:23   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post

If you just bought the boat you have to have the documentation changed to your name, address, etc. This is not the same as a renewal.

If you want to make this as painless as possible, there are companies that will handle the entire transaction for a reasonable fee. Do a web search to find one. The documentation company can send you a letter to use until your actual new documentation certificate arrives.

Or, you can try to muddle through the process yourself if you can figure it out.
Old 13-03-2015, 09:12   #8

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Thanks everybody! Still trying to come up with the new name as well...part of the reason I have been putting off the re-doc!
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 09:10   #9

New name. "Uncertain", "NOT SURE" , "TEMP" , "Good Luck"
stevebein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 09:26   #10

Boat: Tayana 37

I purchased a documented boat last year. The transfer process was fairly straightforward but retained the same renewal date. I must renew this year. Maybe I did something wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tmcdonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 16:43   #11

Boat: CORESOUND 17

do you have to fool with coast guard if you build a boat at home. I am building a 17 foot coresound 17 from Band B yatch out of nc. I am in ga but going to get hull number in al because ga has all kinds of rules I was under inpresion it is all about money I have a john boat registered in al they just want a tag nothing else plan on learning to sail and them maybe buy a bigger boat 25-30 feet
Thanks
Floyd McDermitt , Carrollton, Ga
mcdermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 21:06   #12

Floyd, with regard to documentation, the vessel must be at least 5 net tons. A custom build boat is subject to the standard regulations just as a production boat is. If you intents to insure the vessel, more requirements will be added from the insurer side.

Best regards,

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-03-2015, 09:38   #13

Looks like a fun build Floyd!
Old 16-03-2015, 10:20   #14

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Just went through this last year. There is a FAQ at the USCG site on this and I think it has the answers you need. We used a documentation service but if all I needed was the new documentation I would not do it for that reason alone. It is very easy. You need the proper bill of sale and just send it in with the fee. It does take several weeks (months). In the "pending" period you just need to have the prior documentation, the bill of sale, etc. to prove you own the boat. Unless you are going overseas I don't think anyone really cares if you are documented or not, except your state if you don't have to register a documented vessel. In WA they are OK with the pending process.

As noted also, if you want to change the vessel name and/or hailing port do it with the documentation process now. If you change either later you will have to get a doc change + fee.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 11:09   #15

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdermitt View Post
do you have to fool with coast guard if you build a boat at home. I am building a 17 foot coresound 17 from Band B yatch out of nc. I am in ga but going to get hull number in al because ga has all kinds of rules I was under inpresion it is all about money I have a john boat registered in al they just want a tag nothing else plan on learning to sail and them maybe buy a bigger boat 25-30 feet
Thanks
Floyd McDermitt , Carrollton, Ga
You have to register your boat in GA and if you use your jon boat in GA, you have to register that as well.

Tags
documentation, men