Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 13:37   #106

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft
Re: "Dock Lines will be Cut!"

16 year being a live aboard I have never heard/seen lines being cut and/or boat being set a drift. I have seen them be moved if really necessary, but most of the time the marine and tenants will switch things around to accommodate. Being we are on the out side of the main channel in the marina, I have let boat moor/raft off the Eagle, and I have had to tie up at dock temporarily for one reason or another also. Usually marinas and live a boards are not near as ill tempered/obnoxious/ ill mannered as dirt boaters/dwellers.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 13:40   #107

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Delancy, sounds like to you need to move to a different neighborhood.
A hear NZ is a wonderful place to go.
Old 07-08-2013, 15:08   #108

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
That's right, I pay for my slip which is in a private marina which is reserved for the exclusive use and enjoyment of the marina's tenants and their guests. It is not a town dock. If you are not a marina tenant or tenant's guest your are trespassing, in this manner you are violating my home. I can't believe I had to spell that out for you.
That's ok....I can't believe your right of entitlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
No, no...He's just fine where he is...thank you.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:23   #109
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Originally Posted by Delancy
That's right, I pay for my slip which is in a private marina which is reserved for the exclusive use and enjoyment of the marina's tenants and their guests. It is not a town dock. If you are not a marina tenant or tenant's guest your are trespassing, in this manner you are violating my home. I can't believe I had to spell that out for you.
That's ok....I can't believe your right of entitlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors

No, no...He's just fine where he is...thank you.

I'm completely surprised by the people who don't get that marinas are basically like apartment complexes. Strangers aren't really supposed to be hanging around there.

And, speaking as a single woman, and as someone for whom the marina gates blocked a stalker, if I see a gate propped open, count on me to close it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:42   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

And, speaking as a single woman, and as someone for whom the marina gates blocked a stalker, if I see a gate propped open, count on me to close it.
...and you have every right to close it....and the right to report any suspicious activity...and help from the harbor office if you need it...and the right to question anyone who does not belong.
That being said...we are all mariners and occasionally need a little understanding if we need to grab something from the marina store. I imagine if the harbor had a no trespassing sign, a person should heed that also. I was a resident of a county owned dock and was told that the public had free access if they so desired since it was their tax money keeping it going. So I understand both sides.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 07-08-2013, 16:05   #111

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

ROTFLMAO! Damn, Grow Up!

1. It is the marina that should be deciding on issues with other boats using THEIR property. Be mad all you want but your issue is with your sliplord.
2. You said pontoon boat? Why are you even having this discussion?

w
Old 07-08-2013, 16:37   #112
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...and you have every right to close it....and the right to report any suspicious activity...and help from the harbor office if you need it...and the right to question anyone who does not belong.
That being said...we are all mariners and occasionally need a little understanding if we need to grab something from the marina store. I imagine if the harbor had a no trespassing sign, a person should heed that also. I was a resident of a county owned dock and was told that the public had free access if they so desired since it was their tax money keeping it going. So I understand both sides.

Sure. The municipal marina where I used to live had a fuel dock, a free pump out station and a small store.

They are going to go "live-aboard friendly," and the live-aboards will I'm sure realize that people bring their boats in for services. As far as I know, anyone can come into the fuel dock at my marina and buy fuel. I think the marina would be nuts not to do that. They have mostly sailboats in the marina and ... we don't use a lot of fuel. There is also a small food store, and no one would object to someone buying fuel going into the food store.

The OP described an entirely different scenario. I'm sorry but I see no need to be civil to someone who is blocking other people's boats so he won't have to walk as far.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 17:31   #113

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Don't ask me why, but somehow this seems appropriate:

"He had a different way of looking at the land, the trouble at hand or any circumstance that might just come along .... and he measured his life in cedar posts and miles of barbed wire fence”.

Fences and gates 'round the home, "gated communities" with security guards, "no trespassing" and "keep out" signs... I get to thinking of European castles with their moats and drawbridges, pots of boiling oil and archer's nooks in tall walls. This be mine, bought and paid for; all else stay away or beware the consequences. I suppose that it kept the riff-raff or knaves well out.

Yes, there be thieves and ne'er-do-wells in our world. And I realize that laws and rules come about for (mostly) good reasons. But still - Bunker mentality, methinks. Very hard to recognize by the person so afflicted.

Just my two-for-a-penny thoughts.

"Cause I'll tell you everything about - being free..."

From the song "Vagabond", by Wolfmother
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 17:59   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

The OP described an entirely different scenario. I'm sorry but I see no need to be civil to someone who is blocking other people's boats so he won't have to walk as far.
I suggested the OP tell what was meant by restricted navigation 3 times and he still has not made that one clear. I mean, how do you tie up at a dock and cause a navigation hazard...really.
Old 07-08-2013, 18:14   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Don't ask me why, but somehow this seems appropriate:

"He had a different way of looking at the land, the trouble at hand or any circumstance that might just come along .... and he measured his life in cedar posts and miles of barbed wire fence”.

Fences and gates 'round the home, "gated communities" with security guards, "no trespassing" and "keep out" signs... I get to thinking of European castles with their moats and drawbridges, pots of boiling oil and archer's nooks in tall walls. This be mine, bought and paid for; all else stay away or beware the consequences. I suppose that it kept the riff-raff or knaves well out.

Yes, there be thieves and ne'er-do-wells in our world. And I realize that laws and rules come about for (mostly) good reasons. But still - Bunker mentality, methinks. Very hard to recognize by the person so afflicted.

Just my two-for-a-penny thoughts.

"Cause I'll tell you everything about - being free..."

From the song "Vagabond", by Wolfmother
Five Man Electrical Band - Signs (1971) - YouTube
Old 07-08-2013, 19:15   #116

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

To put it plainly, someone who parks their boat in a navigational waterway in such a way to impede traffic is breaking the law... are they not? Isn't it the same as if I threw out an anchor in the middle of the ICW?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 19:28   #117

Yes...if that's what really happened.
Old 07-08-2013, 19:47   #118

The offender parked his boat in a spot that is not a slip. If you park in this spot you block the channel that four different boats on the way inside of the marina need to transit to be able to get in or out.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 20:08   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancy View Post
The offender parked his boat in a spot that is not a slip. If you park in this spot you block the channel that four different boats on the way inside of the marina need to transit to be able to get in or out.
So why is that dock accessible? I imagine others are also trying to visualize the set up at the marina in question. Could it be that at that dock there is a size restriction on vessels?
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 20:21   #120

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Delancy,
What does the harbor master say? What do your neighbors think?
From your posts it seems you are the only one patrolling the docks. Did they give you one bullet to keep in your shirt pocket?

Tags
dock