Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 12:23   #76

I was considering sailing the Keys over Christmas and New Years. Things like this influenced my decision to go to the Bahamas instead. I'd rather spend my money in a foreign country than put up with harassment like this. My wallet has spoken..
jkangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:28   #77

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Best method of attack is to aim at their budget. Write to those controlling the city budget and tell them the water police have too many staff with idle time.
Always send a copy to another department particularly one whose budget is deficient. If you want a bureaucrat to read your letter make sure they know a copy has gone to a department they worry about.

Lets keep on topic. It's the FWC a STATE force not a local City or County or Federal force. I'd be surprised if the City condoned this harassment.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:45   #78

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
Well said and the clue that the OP apparently does not have.
I would love for you to explain your post.. These are not local officers we can get to know, this is a training ground for FWC. Many of these new officers don't look old enough to take a drink and they are being trained to abuse their authority. I am sorry, but your comment is out of line and if that is the case, why are they harassing everyone? They have rules they need to follow, they aren't.

Btw are you in Boot Key?

P.S. We have an excellent relationship with our police and USCG, there are no problems there. As a matter of fact I have nothing but good to say about the county sheriff and USCG.
Old 08-12-2013, 13:08   #79

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Someone shows up in my cockpit at night waking me up with my wife asleep I'd place a May Day call and hole up till the Coast Guard got there. After a few of those calls I think the CG would have the FWC doing things a little differently.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:09   #80

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
I would love for you to explain your post.. These are not local officers we can get to know, this is a training ground for FWC. Many of these new officers don't look old enough to take a drink and they are being trained to abuse their authority. I am sorry, but your comment is out of line and if that is the case, why are they harassing everyone? They have rules they need to follow, they aren't.

Btw are you in Boot Key?
No, I lived on long key and fished out of marathon for a long time. Last time I went there was a couple of years ago and was flabergasted to still see the holy-er than thou and elitist attitude still prevails and grows. Having run off the locals many seem to think the rules don't apply to them and threaten to sue anyone that doesn't Kowtow to them.

If they give you a ticket it's no big deal to take it to court, you can easily walk from the no locals allowed dinghy dock.

BTW i was very polite to brevard police who boarded boat and fined me for having my thru-hull secured with zip-tie. went to court and charges dropped by FWC and no problems since, we are now friends.

Maybe you should Try being polite and civil and seek a soulition instead of escalating the situation? Being as me and my 2 sons are from there i can suggest from experience that you've irritated someone on the force and they have the power to make your life miserable. You on the other hand are not changing them.
Old 08-12-2013, 13:09   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
If you squeeze nylon live jacket and it deflates or the inside matterial is wet its not a legal live jacket.

On lake union, Seattle, the police boat routinly entered the marine and check the boats. We got to know them, they would stop chat and wave. Maybe be positve and friendly. Same with the Everett police.

I find the best is to be informed and known Most know me by name, Phil.
Perhaps you should read http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-116630.html

I know the OP from my time in boot key ( tho he prob doesnt know me as I'm shy as hell) but he is a friendly, helpful, fun family guy who would go out of his way to help ANYONE. The kind of guy who would stand up for injustice as hokey as that sounds.
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:16   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
No, I lived on long key and fished out of marathon for a long time. Last time I went there was a couple of years ago and was flabergasted to still see the holy-er than thou and elitist attitude still prevails and grows. Having run off the locals many seem to think the rules don't apply to them and threaten to sue anyone that doesn't Kowtow to them. If they give you a ticket it's no big deal to take it to court, you can easily walk from the no locals allowed dinghy dock. BTW i was very polite to brevard police who boarded boat and fined me for having my thru-hull secured with zip-tie. went to court and charges dropped by FWC and no problems since, we are now friends. Maybe you should Try being polite and civil and seek a soulition instead of escalating the situation? Being as me and my 2 sons are from there i can suggest from experience that you've irritated someone on the force and they have the power to make your life miserable. You on the other hand are not changing them.
You don't seem to understand that the OP is not talking for himself but that this is a problem towards lot of people in BkHarbour

By the way , I'm a resident of Marathon. Abroad at this time but soon going back home. And I don't agree at all with your opinion about the people of Marathon.
Old 08-12-2013, 13:20   #83

IF a overzealous officer get X amount of citations overturned you can bet your bippy He/she will be having a chat with supervisor and practice will stop.
So, My suggestion is use the words your mom should have taught you.( every uniform is named Sir or Mam and always addressed as such).
Take the ticket , pay it if you deserved it take it to court if you didnt. remain polite and remember you WERE NOT here first!
Old 08-12-2013, 13:30   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
You don't seem to understand that the OP is not talking for himself but that this is a problem towards lot of people in BkHarbour

By the way , I'm a resident of Marathon. Abroad at this time but soon going back home. And I don't agree at all with your opinion about the people of Marathon.
I'm not referring to real residents at all. just pointing out a view from some one who has drove over boot key bridge. we rented out the trailers to bridge builders making the new bridges. Back when it was live and let live and before Marine patrol became FWC and getting shot on a routine boarding was a distinct possibility. Now everyone wants to sue if they don't get special treatment.

Love to meet for a drink at Overseas, Oh, wait, that's right.
Old 08-12-2013, 13:31   #85

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Lets keep on topic. It's the FWC a STATE force not a local City or County or Federal force. I'd be surprised if the City condoned this harassment.
OK OK. If not the city then write to whoever is responsible for giving them their budget and tell them these guys are over-resourced, overstaffed and have time on their hands to harass the public without sufficient justification.
The budget rules!
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:06   #86

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

Quote:
I'm not referring to real residents at all. just pointing out a view from some one who has drove over boot key bridge. we rented out the trailers to bridge builders making the new bridges. Back when it was live and let live and before Marine patrol became FWC and getting shot on a routine boarding was a distinct possibility. Now everyone wants to sue if they don't get special treatment.

Love to meet for a drink at Overseas, Oh, wait, that's right.
Sir,

I am sorry you feel the way you do about Marathon, but you do understand things change? I'm not sure what qualifies as a "real" resident but my license reads 800 35th Street, I live here and am a member of the community. What you also fail to understand is I personally have not had a problem, however my neighbors, friends and my community are having one. I haven't been pulled over, boarded or harassed myself, except for the shining of spotlights in my windows and the circling of my boat. But I will never stand by and have a "well it's not me" attitude, wrong is wrong and I've seen good people who can't or don't have the resources to fight just take the abuse.

My parents raised me to never stand by and watch a bully, it made you just as bad. Anyone that lives in our community is as good as family in my book, after all, we are all in the same boat together. This will be my last response and or interaction with you on the matter, I can't get past the chip on your shoulder.

I also wanted to thank the poster above for the comments. I'm humbled by your words, my wife, my children and myself truly care for the people in this community and will always do whatever we can.
Old 08-12-2013, 14:12   #87
cruiser

Keyspc, your statement about "real residents" is disturbing. There are no real residents. It's unfortunate that you feel this way. We all are residents of everywhere, maybe your the "holy-er than thou" if you have these opinions of fellow cruisers. I doubt marathon was a better place 20 years ago when it was a fish town, it was just different. As was everything 20 years ago. Living there doesn't make it any more yours than mine.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:15   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
Sir, I am sorry you feel the way you do about Marathon, but you do understand things change? I'm not sure what qualifies as a "real" resident but my license reads 800 35th Street, I live here and am a member of the community. What you also fail to understand is I personally have not had a problem, however my neighbors, friends and my community are having one. I haven't been pulled over, boarded or harassed myself, except for the shining of spotlights in my windows and the circling of my boat. But I will never stand by and have a "well it's not me" attitude, wrong is wrong and I've seen good people who can't or don't have the resources to fight just take the abuse. My parents raised me to never stand by and watch a bully, it made you just as bad. Anyone that lives in our community is as good as family in my book, after all, we are all in the same boat together. This will be my last response and or interaction with you on the matter, I can't get past the chip on your shoulder. I also wanted to thank the poster above for the comments. I'm humbled by your words, my wife, my children and myself truly care for the people in this community and will always do whatever we can.
It'll be a real pleasure as well an honour to meet you when I'll be back in Marathon.
Alec
Old 08-12-2013, 14:35   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Well, I think one issue not discussed is jealousy on the part of the cops. Most of the snowbird crowd in Boot Key are somewhat affluent and generally early retirees.

With Florida cutting state pensions and salaries, it's easy for me to believe some of them are acting out.
Old 08-12-2013, 14:44   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Well, I think one issue not discussed is jealousy on the part of the cops. Most of the snowbird crowd in Boot Key are somewhat affluent and generally early retirees. With Florida cutting state pensions and salaries, it's easy for me to believe some of them are acting out.
I would not say affluent. Not at all.