Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 13:23   #76
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 114
I was considering sailing the Keys over Christmas and New Years. Things like this influenced my decision to go to the Bahamas instead. I'd rather spend my money in a foreign country than put up with harassment like this. My wallet has spoken..
__________________

__________________
jkangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:28   #77
Senior Cruiser
 
Vasco's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto
Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Posts: 7,138
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Best method of attack is to aim at their budget. Write to those controlling the city budget and tell them the water police have too many staff with idle time.
Always send a copy to another department particularly one whose budget is deficient. If you want a bureaucrat to read your letter make sure they know a copy has gone to a department they worry about.

Lets keep on topic. It's the FWC a STATE force not a local City or County or Federal force. I'd be surprised if the City condoned this harassment.
__________________

__________________
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beneteau393/
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 13:45   #78
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: CSY 37 Plan B
Posts: 125
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
Well said and the clue that the OP apparently does not have.
I would love for you to explain your post.. These are not local officers we can get to know, this is a training ground for FWC. Many of these new officers don't look old enough to take a drink and they are being trained to abuse their authority. I am sorry, but your comment is out of line and if that is the case, why are they harassing everyone? They have rules they need to follow, they aren't.

Btw are you in Boot Key?

P.S. We have an excellent relationship with our police and USCG, there are no problems there. As a matter of fact I have nothing but good to say about the county sheriff and USCG.
__________________
Our Blog
www.youngfamilyadventure.blogspot.com
Thin Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:08   #79
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cambridge MD
Boat: Carter offshore 35
Posts: 333
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Someone shows up in my cockpit at night waking me up with my wife asleep I'd place a May Day call and hole up till the Coast Guard got there. After a few of those calls I think the CG would have the FWC doing things a little differently.
__________________
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:09   #80
Registered User
 
keyspc's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: hard aground in C.FL
Boat: 34' 1973 Grampian ketch
Posts: 294
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
I would love for you to explain your post.. These are not local officers we can get to know, this is a training ground for FWC. Many of these new officers don't look old enough to take a drink and they are being trained to abuse their authority. I am sorry, but your comment is out of line and if that is the case, why are they harassing everyone? They have rules they need to follow, they aren't.

Btw are you in Boot Key?
No, I lived on long key and fished out of marathon for a long time. Last time I went there was a couple of years ago and was flabergasted to still see the holy-er than thou and elitist attitude still prevails and grows. Having run off the locals many seem to think the rules don't apply to them and threaten to sue anyone that doesn't Kowtow to them.

If they give you a ticket it's no big deal to take it to court, you can easily walk from the no locals allowed dinghy dock.

BTW i was very polite to brevard police who boarded boat and fined me for having my thru-hull secured with zip-tie. went to court and charges dropped by FWC and no problems since, we are now friends.

Maybe you should Try being polite and civil and seek a soulition instead of escalating the situation? Being as me and my 2 sons are from there i can suggest from experience that you've irritated someone on the force and they have the power to make your life miserable. You on the other hand are not changing them.
__________________
http://sailingodat.blogspot.com/ Please click to follow
"If you cant think of anything to be grateful for, list that which you should be grateful for"
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:09   #81
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
If you squeeze nylon live jacket and it deflates or the inside matterial is wet its not a legal live jacket.

On lake union, Seattle, the police boat routinly entered the marine and check the boats. We got to know them, they would stop chat and wave. Maybe be positve and friendly. Same with the Everett police.

I find the best is to be informed and known Most know me by name, Phil.
Perhaps you should read Flaming Potential Friends

I know the OP from my time in boot key ( tho he prob doesnt know me as I'm shy as hell) but he is a friendly, helpful, fun family guy who would go out of his way to help ANYONE. The kind of guy who would stand up for injustice as hokey as that sounds.
__________________
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:16   #82
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
No, I lived on long key and fished out of marathon for a long time. Last time I went there was a couple of years ago and was flabergasted to still see the holy-er than thou and elitist attitude still prevails and grows. Having run off the locals many seem to think the rules don't apply to them and threaten to sue anyone that doesn't Kowtow to them. If they give you a ticket it's no big deal to take it to court, you can easily walk from the no locals allowed dinghy dock. BTW i was very polite to brevard police who boarded boat and fined me for having my thru-hull secured with zip-tie. went to court and charges dropped by FWC and no problems since, we are now friends. Maybe you should Try being polite and civil and seek a soulition instead of escalating the situation? Being as me and my 2 sons are from there i can suggest from experience that you've irritated someone on the force and they have the power to make your life miserable. You on the other hand are not changing them.
You don't seem to understand that the OP is not talking for himself but that this is a problem towards lot of people in BkHarbour

By the way , I'm a resident of Marathon. Abroad at this time but soon going back home. And I don't agree at all with your opinion about the people of Marathon.
__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:20   #83
Registered User
 
keyspc's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: hard aground in C.FL
Boat: 34' 1973 Grampian ketch
Posts: 294
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

IF a overzealous officer get X amount of citations overturned you can bet your bippy He/she will be having a chat with supervisor and practice will stop.
So, My suggestion is use the words your mom should have taught you.( every uniform is named Sir or Mam and always addressed as such).
Take the ticket , pay it if you deserved it take it to court if you didnt. remain polite and remember you WERE NOT here first!
__________________
http://sailingodat.blogspot.com/ Please click to follow
"If you cant think of anything to be grateful for, list that which you should be grateful for"
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:30   #84
Registered User
 
keyspc's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: hard aground in C.FL
Boat: 34' 1973 Grampian ketch
Posts: 294
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
You don't seem to understand that the OP is not talking for himself but that this is a problem towards lot of people in BkHarbour

By the way , I'm a resident of Marathon. Abroad at this time but soon going back home. And I don't agree at all with your opinion about the people of Marathon.
I'm not referring to real residents at all. just pointing out a view from some one who has drove over boot key bridge. we rented out the trailers to bridge builders making the new bridges. Back when it was live and let live and before Marine patrol became FWC and getting shot on a routine boarding was a distinct possibility. Now everyone wants to sue if they don't get special treatment.

Love to meet for a drink at Overseas, Oh, wait, that's right.
__________________
http://sailingodat.blogspot.com/ Please click to follow
"If you cant think of anything to be grateful for, list that which you should be grateful for"
keyspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:31   #85
Registered User
 
DumnMad's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Nelson NZ; boat in Brisbane
Boat: 45ft Ketch
Posts: 1,247
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Lets keep on topic. It's the FWC a STATE force not a local City or County or Federal force. I'd be surprised if the City condoned this harassment.
OK OK. If not the city then write to whoever is responsible for giving them their budget and tell them these guys are over-resourced, overstaffed and have time on their hands to harass the public without sufficient justification.
The budget rules!
__________________
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 15:06   #86
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marathon, FL
Boat: CSY 37 Plan B
Posts: 125
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
I'm not referring to real residents at all. just pointing out a view from some one who has drove over boot key bridge. we rented out the trailers to bridge builders making the new bridges. Back when it was live and let live and before Marine patrol became FWC and getting shot on a routine boarding was a distinct possibility. Now everyone wants to sue if they don't get special treatment.

Love to meet for a drink at Overseas, Oh, wait, that's right.
Sir,

I am sorry you feel the way you do about Marathon, but you do understand things change? I'm not sure what qualifies as a "real" resident but my license reads 800 35th Street, I live here and am a member of the community. What you also fail to understand is I personally have not had a problem, however my neighbors, friends and my community are having one. I haven't been pulled over, boarded or harassed myself, except for the shining of spotlights in my windows and the circling of my boat. But I will never stand by and have a "well it's not me" attitude, wrong is wrong and I've seen good people who can't or don't have the resources to fight just take the abuse.

My parents raised me to never stand by and watch a bully, it made you just as bad. Anyone that lives in our community is as good as family in my book, after all, we are all in the same boat together. This will be my last response and or interaction with you on the matter, I can't get past the chip on your shoulder.

I also wanted to thank the poster above for the comments. I'm humbled by your words, my wife, my children and myself truly care for the people in this community and will always do whatever we can.
__________________
Our Blog
www.youngfamilyadventure.blogspot.com
Thin Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 15:12   #87
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 398
Keyspc, your statement about "real residents" is disturbing. There are no real residents. It's unfortunate that you feel this way. We all are residents of everywhere, maybe your the "holy-er than thou" if you have these opinions of fellow cruisers. I doubt marathon was a better place 20 years ago when it was a fish town, it was just different. As was everything 20 years ago. Living there doesn't make it any more yours than mine.
__________________
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 15:15   #88
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Line View Post
Sir, I am sorry you feel the way you do about Marathon, but you do understand things change? I'm not sure what qualifies as a "real" resident but my license reads 800 35th Street, I live here and am a member of the community. What you also fail to understand is I personally have not had a problem, however my neighbors, friends and my community are having one. I haven't been pulled over, boarded or harassed myself, except for the shining of spotlights in my windows and the circling of my boat. But I will never stand by and have a "well it's not me" attitude, wrong is wrong and I've seen good people who can't or don't have the resources to fight just take the abuse. My parents raised me to never stand by and watch a bully, it made you just as bad. Anyone that lives in our community is as good as family in my book, after all, we are all in the same boat together. This will be my last response and or interaction with you on the matter, I can't get past the chip on your shoulder. I also wanted to thank the poster above for the comments. I'm humbled by your words, my wife, my children and myself truly care for the people in this community and will always do whatever we can.
It'll be a real pleasure as well an honour to meet you when I'll be back in Marathon.
Alec
__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 15:35   #89
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Augustine, FL
Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Posts: 2,827
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Well, I think one issue not discussed is jealousy on the part of the cops. Most of the snowbird crowd in Boot Key are somewhat affluent and generally early retirees.

With Florida cutting state pensions and salaries, it's easy for me to believe some of them are acting out.
__________________
Check out my MoJo: Facebook.com/mojomarine1
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 15:44   #90
Registered User
 
Alecadi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Marathon FL
Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Well, I think one issue not discussed is jealousy on the part of the cops. Most of the snowbird crowd in Boot Key are somewhat affluent and generally early retirees. With Florida cutting state pensions and salaries, it's easy for me to believe some of them are acting out.
I would not say affluent. Not at all.
__________________

__________________
People spend time putting little boats in bottles, me I put bottles in my little boat...
Alecadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.