Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 15:45   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Civil Rights Attorney Needed Marathon FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowdash View Post
I don't quite understand this. Your saying people are waking up to these police in the cockpit of their boat? Unannounced? If that is the case, why have they not been shot yet? If I woke up, to find a stranger in my cockpit, I would shoot, then worry about who it WAS.
Funny story you'd be dead now. FWC guy came by my house today for a paperwork issue at my invitation. Had his bullet proof vest on, side arm and tazer just for driving around town in daylight. You figure you knock that guy to the cockpit floor for a few moments, what do you do with the other guys in the patrol boat??

You are the militant my friend. I suggest you check out Syria or central Africa if you're that hungry for action and rebellion.
Old 07-12-2013, 16:48   #47
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
There are vast areas of the world where cops don't exist, very calm, beautiful, and exiting. You have a boat, use it.
One really has to live outside the USA a few years to appreciate how militarized the culture there has become.
Yes this was the biggest surprise I discovered when I moved to the US and that was in the 80s. It's far worse now.

Dave
Old 07-12-2013, 16:50   #48
Nearly an old salt

Of course Florida isn't as dangerous as parts of Central America. Really good comparison there bud. I'm sure its more law abiding then parts of Syria too

Dave
Old 07-12-2013, 17:11   #49

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
There are vast areas of the world where cops don't exist, very calm, beautiful, and exiting. You have a boat, use it.
One really has to live outside the USA a few years to appreciate how militarized the culture there has become.
Perfectly said.
Old 07-12-2013, 17:23   #50

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Contact the local new media(s) and BoatUS. But make sure your story is absolutely true and take videos.
Old 07-12-2013, 17:23   #51

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Gee!! Even the Coasties would be in fear of there life to do things like this down the Bayou !!! Ive never heard of them or the water Police down here doing something like this down here in South Louisiana!! We have folks, mostly trawlers anchoring along the ICW and up and down the bayous all year around and never heard of things like this happening!! Thats a sorry thing to hear about !! anytime ya scare a child you have commited a crime as far as Im concerned! I would be very unhappy if someone boarded my boat at night without at least a Hail before they set foot aboard !! It may be legal, but it's certainly poor law inforcement !! Great way for better relations to be formed between citizens and law inforcement !! Sad thing no matter what ya feel about this deal! It's atleast time being wasted! Im sure they are finding very little to give tickets for or any arrests being made for felonies!! So what are they doing to show anything for there time spent messing about??? I be asking if they are even writeing any tickets and what for at night ??
Old 07-12-2013, 17:53   #52

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

US Constitution actually gives them the right to board your vessel at any time without a warrant. Sadly when our founding fathers created the constitution, not many people had private vessels.
AirBoyzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 17:58   #53
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoyzT View Post
US Constitution actually gives them the right to board your vessel at any time without a warrant. Sadly when our founding fathers created the constitution, not many people had private vessels.
Most police forces around the world have the right to board a boat just like they have the right to stop a car. The difference is that in most civilised places they don't excercise that right without significant reason , nor come on boats dressed like they were in a war zone !

You reaps what you sow.

Dave
Old 07-12-2013, 17:59   #54
Marine Service Provider

I'm not so sure what the constitution says about it, but the CG certainly will board you whether you want them to or not. A coastie was putting his foot on my rail as he asked if it was ok to board. I told him I'd rather he not and he told me he would board "under protest" while he was onboard he told me to be careful I didn't gybe as the booming swing in towards him would be considered assault!

Another time I was threatened by the FWC in Ft Myers with a night in jail if I didn't move anchorage. It does suck sometimes, but in general I haven't had too many problems.
Old 07-12-2013, 18:12   #55

Boat: 1975 Dufour 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Most police forces around the world have the right to board a boat just like they have the right to stop a car. The difference is that in most civilised places they don't excercise that right without significant reason , nor come on boats dressed like they were in a war zone !

You reaps what you sow.

Dave
Yea except when the police stop a car in the states, they are supposed to have a reason.
AirBoyzT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 18:12   #56
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I'm not so sure what the constitution says about it, but the CG certainly will board you whether you want them to or not. A coastie was putting his foot on my rail as he asked if it was ok to board. I told him I'd rather he not and he told me he would board "under protest" while he was onboard he told me to be careful I didn't gybe as the booming swing in towards him would be considered assault!

Another time I was threatened by the FWC in Ft Myers with a night in jail if I didn't move anchorage. It does suck sometimes, but in general I haven't had too many problems.
Why wax a cop getting you to move anchorage ?

Dave
Old 07-12-2013, 18:16   #57
Marine Service Provider

Wax a cop? Not sure what that is but pretty sure I wouldn't do it around here!

I was legally anchored, but do I want to spend a night in county jail to tell that to the judge in the morning and leave my wife and 18 months alone on the boat?
Old 07-12-2013, 18:24   #58
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Wax a cop? Not sure what that is but pretty sure I wouldn't do it around here!

I was legally anchored, but do I want to spend a night in county jail to tell that to the judge in the morning and leave my wife and 18 months alone on the boat?
You were legally anchored , yet you were bullied into moving. !!!

Wax=was in iPhone spelling <grin>
Dave
Old 07-12-2013, 18:32   #59

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Worked with some of those Cajuns who lived in the Bayou and you sure as hell wouldn't want to arrive at their place unannounced in the swamp or you would be 'gator food'! There are some places that law enforcement folks just don't go uninvited. That includes parts of Oakland, CA, South Central LA., parts of Louisiana and I suspect parts of Florida. Now that most law enforcement dress and act like SWAT team members, you really take your chances... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 18:42   #60

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Of course Florida isn't as dangerous as parts of Central America. Really good comparison there bud. I'm sure its more law abiding then parts of Syria too

Dave
I'm simply pointing out to those bemoaning the US as a police state there are others probably wishing some locales had a little more protection. Be careful what you wish for, it may come true.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote