Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 19:24   #1

Category 1 NZ Vessel

Hi guys.
I bought a sailing yacht registered in USVI, he paid NZ GST upon transaction. I have double citizenship NZ and EU.
Currently trying to put her in Cat1, but I am learning that I have to renew every 3 months. It seems like I would be at the mercy of these guys for the rest of my life.
So, I am considering registering in a different country, possible EU, possible Cook Islands , BVI etc.
@ questions:
1. Am i subject to Cat1 if my boat is EU registered and I travel on my EU passport?
2. Any idea of what country is better to register in?

Like I said, tax paid in NZ, not trying to avoid taxes or skip on safety, I just think it is completely mad to ask people to reapply every 3months in order to keep Cat1. My boat sailed around the world and it's fully equiped for cruising.
Thank you in advance for your input.
alsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 06:17   #2

Re: Category 1 NZ Vessel

An EU boat sailed by an EU crew would not be required to have a NZ certification.

It might get a bit stickier when in NZ, since I assume that NZ would require you to use your NZ passport when entering. I do not know what the rules would be for an EU boat owned and operated by a NZ citizen in NZ waters.

Why not just read the rules? Google is your friend…
https://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/recre...g-overseas.asp
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 22:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
An EU boat sailed by an EU crew would not be required to have a NZ certification.

It might get a bit stickier when in NZ, since I assume that NZ would require you to use your NZ passport when entering. I do not know what the rules would be for an EU boat owned and operated by a NZ citizen in NZ waters.

Thanks. I couldn't find any reference to my situation or when a NZ citizen departs on a foreign flagged vessel.
Old 14-10-2021, 02:44   #4

Boat: Farr 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
Thanks. I couldn't find any reference to my situation or when a NZ citizen departs on a foreign flagged vessel.
A vessel owned by a NZ citizen is supposed to be NZ registered, but this does not appear to be enforced. There are a few NZ based vessels registered offshore in places such as Vanuatu, Cook Is and Jersey to avoid the cat 1 obligations.
So at present it appears there is no issue for an NZ citizen to depart NZ on his/her foreign registered vessel. The sticking point may be when you want to return in these viral times as it is very grey whether foreign registered vessels will be allowed to enter the country, even with Kiwi citizens on board.
It sounds like you have not been well informed about how Cat 1 certification works. An NZ registered vessel must have a Cat 1 certificate to depart the country. The certificate has a 60 day validity from date of issue (it used to be 30 days). So what we all do is wait until almost the last minute to get the final sign off from the inspector. The Cat 1 certificate lapses at first foreign port of entry (or if you get in strife and have to return to NZ)and then reverts to Cat 2. But once you are out of NZ there is no renewal requirement, so if you are heading off on a circumnavigation it is one time until after you have returned to NZ and then decide to take off again. If you are making the annual winter pilgrimage to the Sth Pacific Is then you will have to get a new cert for each departure.
Marinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 03:21   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Category 1 NZ Vessel

It should be pointed out that if you are a NZ citizen , entering NZ , on a EU passport does not absolve of your obligations as a NZ citizen.
Old 14-10-2021, 11:51   #6

Boat: St Francis 43

Cat 1 is only needed when you leave NZ.

Also, NZ GST (15%) would only be payable when you arrive in NZ the first time, assuming the boat has never had NZ GST paid on it. You would also be up for 5% duty when you arrive.
You pay the duty and GST on the sale price, but this can be depreciated at 10%SL every year for up to 8 years. So hold off paying till you arrive in NZ.
piebuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 12:37   #7

Boat: Ganley Transition 41 (corten steel )

Hi There..

Happy to have a chat on the phone about your issues.... too much to cover on a publis forum...Personal Message me your PH number... of messanger..etc
Ray...............
ski69sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2021, 13:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski69sail View Post
Hi There..

Happy to have a chat on the phone about your issues.... too much to cover on a publis forum...Personal Message me your PH number... of messanger..etc
Ray...............
Hi Ray. Sent you a message. Thanks
Old 14-10-2021, 13:33   #9

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

register the yacht in australia. no stupid cat 1 rules over here

and as said by an earlier poster : even if you have EU passport, you will be required to use yr NZ passport when entering / leaving NZ. i am dual UK / Aust citizen and the only place in the world i use my aussie passport is australia

however i believe the cat 1 requirement will belong to the nationality of the vessel - not the crew. iow, a EU (Or aussie) registered vessel will not require nz cat 1 even if crewed by a NZ citizen

cheers,
Old 14-10-2021, 19:09   #10

Boat: Young 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post

Back in 2002, I purchased a kauri sloop built and registered in NZ. As a US citizen, I was required to register her in my home country, which I did. I spent a year upgrading her for what turned out to be a circumnavigation (sold her back in NZ in 2018). I remember all the New Zealanders at the marina in Whangaparoa struggling with the Cat 1 requirements as we prepared for the 7 day sail to Fiji. I had no such issues.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 13:38   #11

Thank you guys for all your answers and trying to help me. Today I talked to a surveyor. I learned that beyond the out of the water inspection, equipment etc etc, there is another requirement. Half of the crew but no less than 2 people have to have the Safety at sea course which is done in Auckland. Can't even go there for the forseable future. I told him I am a commercial skipper and done that, but he says my wife has to have it as well and he doesn't think they will recognize mine either. I really hope NZ authorities won't make us wear life jackets on the beach this summer, although goes nicely with the outdoor masking and general panic is happening atm.
Old 15-10-2021, 15:54   #12

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
Thank you guys for all your answers and trying to help me. Today I talked to a surveyor. I learned that beyond the out of the water inspection, equipment etc etc, there is another requirement. Half of the crew but no less than 2 people have to have the Safety at sea course which is done in Auckland. Can't even go there for the forseable future. I told him I am a commercial skipper and done that, but he says my wife has to have it as well and he doesn't think they will recognize mine either. I really hope NZ authorities won't make us wear life jackets on the beach this summer, although goes nicely with the outdoor masking and general panic is happening atm.
i was required to do a SSSC years ago. at the time i was a serving deep sea ship's mate, with 20 odd years of offshore yacht racing experience...and i STILL found it one of the most useful things i've ever done.

whilst i think the NZ requirement for cat 1 for cruising boats is utter nonsense, the SSSC is actually quite useful and i'd suggest doing it if you possibly can

cheers,