Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2021, 05:25   #1

Boat: C&C 37
Visa requirement to enter puerto rico

I am a US citizen and purchased a US flagged sailboat in the Dom Republic. I want to take the boat to PR for a month for refit. I have a Dominican crewmember with a DR passport and covid vaccination but no visa. Can I take him to PR and acquire his visa there with C&BP for the refit before returning to DR? Anyone with experience on this in these crazy covid times?
Old 17-10-2021, 06:22   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Visa requirement to enter puerto rico

If you wish to sail to Puerto Rico on your boat then all people aboard must be either US citizens, have an LPR status, or have a visa. You would be turned away should anyone aboard not meet those requirements.

This was in place before the current COVID-19 crisis.
Old 17-10-2021, 06:32   #3

Thanks for the reply. A rather generic response. I am curious, you are US citizen have sailed to PR with a foreign crewmember?
Old 17-10-2021, 07:21   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

No, I am a foreigner who has sailed into the US several times, the USVI and the U.S. mainland and therefore have to know the visa regulations. This is tough for those who can fly into the US using an ESTA but cannot use the ESTA/visaless travel when entering by boat.

There are lots of pages on the web with this information, google for "enter usa on a boat ESTA" or just call up your local CBP office and get the bad news straight from the source.

There are exceptions made for professional crewmembers/seamen to enter without a visa, but you would need to re-register your boat as a commercial vessel and comply with all sorts of rules. Plus the crewmember would need to be certified as a seaman with paperwork and logbook.
Old 17-10-2021, 07:37   #5

Thanks...its sounding pretty dismal. The DR is not on the visa waiver program country list and the US embassy in the DR are only taking visa apps on emergency basis due to covid. I was hoping for a work around through PR CBP. Guess I'll call them and explain the situation. Was hoping someone on the forum had some insights.. PR is so close but so far away...lol
Old 17-10-2021, 11:58   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

If your crewman does not have a Visa, perhaps he could use a MasterCard instead?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 15:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
If your crewman does not have a Visa, perhaps he could use a MasterCard instead?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
i will give you "credit " for that.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 18:10   #8

Boat: Blount, Cruise Ship 185`

Quote:
Originally Posted by milagroman View Post
I am a US citizen and purchased a US flagged sailboat in the Dom Republic. I want to take the boat to PR for a month for refit. I have a Dominican crewmember with a DR passport and covid vaccination but no visa. Can I take him to PR and acquire his visa there with C&BP for the refit before returning to DR? Anyone with experience on this in these crazy covid times?
I am quite sure they must have a valid VISA BEFORE Arrival in the USA. Puerto Rico is part of the USA.
capt04530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2021, 23:46   #9

Boat: Leopard 47

Puerto Rico is part of the US. Pretty much the same immigration rules apply. And yes, you must pay attention to the DR's visa requirements.
Old 18-10-2021, 02:44   #10

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Old INFO - It was completely legal for European, non US citizens to be able to arrive by "commercial ferry" from BVI get a visa on arrival then return and collect their boat and sail it to PR with their new visa.

I don't know if there is a ferry from DR or if a DR passport holder qualifies them for a visa on arrival. If you don't need your crew for the passage it may be a case of putting them on the ferry and meeting him at the other end.

Might be an option to discuss with US authorities.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 02:56   #11

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Old INFO - It was completely legal for European, non US citizens to be able to arrive by "commercial ferry" from BVI get a visa on arrival then return and collect their boat and sail it to PR with their new visa.

I don't know if there is a ferry from DR or if a DR passport holder qualifies them for a visa on arrival. If you don't need your crew for the passage it may be a case of putting them on the ferry and meeting him at the other end.

Might be an option to discuss with US authorities.
No ferries between the two and whilst you could/can do the same by flying in/out to secure the ESTA, the Covid regulations and requirements would still need to be met.

Tags
men, Puerto Rico