Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 17:46   #16

Boat: Lord Nelson 41 S/V Fair Wind
Send a message via AIM to MJWEENZ

Cal,
ROFLOL!! Thanks for the trip back in time!

Mike
Old 02-12-2009, 17:58   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I forgot those and I'm glad I did. This site is amazing! Lots of weird members. I always liked the bit when Cheech drinks Chong's pregnant sister's pee that he was taking to his probation officer. This is after snorting detergent that he thought was coke.
Old 02-12-2009, 18:43   #18

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Ok, so I'm a bumpkin from the south and have no idea. What's a Newfie?
To a Canadian, Newfies are people from Newfoundland. For some reason, Newfoundlanders & Torontonians have a mutual dislike of each other.
Old 02-12-2009, 18:49   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Newfie Jokes are pretty funny.

Torontonian Jokes are just like their name......unpronounceable and snobbish

You know you're from Newfoundland when...

- You only know three spices - salt, pepper and ketchup.
- You design your Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
- The mosquitoes have landing lights.
- You have more miles on your snowblower than your car.
- You have 10 favourite recipes for bottled moose.
- Canadian Tire on any Saturday is busier than the toy stores at Christmas.
- You live in a house that has no front step, yet the door is one meter above the ground.
- You've taken your kids trick-or-treating in a blizzard.
- Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled in with snow.
- You think sexy lingerie is tube-socks and a flannel nightie with only 8 buttons.
- You owe more money on your snowmobile than your car.
- The local paper covers national and international headlines on 1/4 page, but requires 6 pages for local softball scores.
- At least twice a year, the kitchen doubles as a meat processing plant.
- The most effective mosquito repellent is a shotgun.
- Your snowblower gets stuck on the roof.
- You think the start of salmon fishing season is a national holiday.
- You frequently clean grease off your barbeque so the bears won't prowl on your deck.
- You know which leaves make good toilet paper.
- You find -40C a little nippy.
- The trunk of your car doubles as a deep freeze.
- You can play road hockey on skates.
- You know 4 seasons - Winter, Still Winter, almost Winter and Construction.
- The municipality buys a Zamboni before a bus.
- You actually get these jokes and forward them to all your Newfie friends.
Old 02-12-2009, 19:00   #20

Boat: Allied Seabreeze 36 bare hull
and your absolutely favorite dinner is salt cod and boiled potatoes
Old 02-12-2009, 19:53   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor954 View Post
I'm retired law enforcement

Me too

Quote:
The USCG has the authority to board ANY vessel, at any time, for any or little reason, in US waters.
Yeah similar here

Quote:
In International or foreign waters, the rules are different. If you're a US flagged vessel,, they can still board you, pretty much anytime they want and you are still under their jurisdiction.
thats arguably a breach of convention but you would need to have a lot of money to fight it andf given I am not a US citizen - well I dont really care.

Quote:
If you're not a US flagged vessel, they can not board you in foreign waters unless there's a treaty with the host country that allows for this.
Not absolutely correct in so far as Austrlia is concerned but probably a moot point.

Quote:
In International waters, they can still board you if for whatever reason they feel you're suspicious
Be a consular incident if they boarded me.

Quote:
Bottom line, as with all law enforcement situations,, it's never a good idea to get confrontational with them.
True - but the even bottomer line is they should in all ciircumatnces act legally and inaccordance with their code of conduct. The authority is neither absolute nor unfettered.

As for those who say the chap asking the questions has something to hide - well perhaps like some of the free world he simply wants tounderstand his rights and obligations.

If having that view means I am on a Homeland security list - then so be it.
Old 02-12-2009, 22:23   #22

I'm with Factor on this one!

On another note, US authorities are also the absolute worst to deal with. I'm quite convinced they only hire very specific types of people. I could be more descriptive, but it would be pretty inappropriate for the forum

Just drive across the Canadian border a few times for a nice direct comparison of how the two sets of government employees treat their citizens.
Old 02-12-2009, 23:00   #23

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
BB Jones! Gawd, I haven't heard that in years.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:58   #24
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I was pretty amazed recently to read that a US citizen cannot legally cross into Canada if he has a DUI/DWI on his record. Someone told me this and I didn't believe it, so checked into it. It's true. They consider DWI a felony. If they check you on the computer and it comes up, you are refused entry.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:16   #25

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I was pretty amazed recently to read that a US citizen cannot legally cross into Canada if he has a DUI/DWI on his record. Someone told me this and I didn't believe it, so checked into it. It's true. They consider DWI a felony. If they check you on the computer and it comes up, you are refused entry.
Yep, it's true if you've done jail time. If it's a defered sentance then one has to wait until they've gone through the program.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:26   #26

Boat: Catalac8SWales&Westerly22Eastcoast
Wink

No doubt this thread has already been read by variose "authorities" and every bodys ip num will be listed somewhere but just to make sure I'll say guns drugs Osama terrorist Columbia
Old 03-12-2009, 15:37   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergie_mac66 View Post
No doubt this thread has already been read by variose "authorities" and every bodys ip num will be listed somewhere but just to make sure I'll say guns drugs Osama terrorist Columbia
Customs/immigration already takes away my passport and tells me to "go sit in the corner" every time I enter Australia. Not sure what lists I'm on.

They're always listening!
Old 03-12-2009, 18:07   #28
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevC View Post
I'm with Factor on this one!

On another note, US authorities are also the absolute worst to deal with. I'm quite convinced they only hire very specific types of people. I could be more descriptive, but it would be pretty inappropriate for the forum

Just drive across the Canadian border a few times for a nice direct comparison of how the two sets of government employees treat their citizens.
I've never had a problem at US borders with Immigration or Customs agents. TSA is a whole different breed. But all airport screeners are a pain. In Paris last month they took a carabeanner from my bag because it could be used as make shift brass knuckles.

I've also never had a problem with our Coast Guard. They really have more important things to do that worry about a lone sailboat two hundred miles off the coast. So, I wouldn't worry about being boarded by them. Now, if you pull into a harbor and been drinking, your in trouble big time.
Old 03-12-2009, 18:28   #29

On that note, I absolutely love drinking and sailing!

The only boat we ever did that on was our 15' racing dinghy. We got better and better as we got more "happy", or at least we thought so... all the empties made quite a bit of noise rolling across on each tack. I'm not sure what would've happened if we were pulled over by the water police. Tiny boat, no engine, life-jackets used as extra buoyancy (you'd never be able to untie them). Good times
Old 03-12-2009, 18:32   #30
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Nickkutzco, you are already just so busted! I can't believe you'd actually post such a thing on an Internet board. Why don't you just have a big leaf put on your main?

Chief -- great question!

Newfies are great dogs, by the way. It's been 7 years since our dear William (aka "Small for a Bear") passed and we still miss him. Friendly with kids, strong, smart, obedient, but protective enough and big enough (note his alias) with a deep bark that would shake the house -- certainly intimidating enough to make a bad guy think several times before taking him on. Would require a big boat, though.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Closed Thread