Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2007, 19:07   #1

Weeping Rudder

Our sailboat's rudder has begun to weep water from 2-3 small cracks. Noticing it about 6 weeks ago, I removed the emergency tiller cap and looked down the hollow rudderstock and saw water. I sucked the water out of the the rudderstock with a wet/dry vacuum and drilled 6 - 1/8" holes in the rudder for drainage.

Well, 6 weeks later, the rudder is still draining and its now time to go back in the water. The drain holes and cracks dry up when its cool but begin weeping again as soon as it warms up.

Any ideas on how to stopper these holes? Know of any products that will adhere to moist fiberglass? Longer term, how should I go about repairing this problem?

Thanks.

Dave
S/V Horizon
wallandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 19:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Bite the bullet and fix your rudder properly before you launch. Your life may depend on it.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 20:16   #3

Boat: Trawler
I'd be weeping too if I had that much water coming out of my crack.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one
BilgeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 22:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
You can use epoxy putty. But I wouldn't recomend you putting the rudder back in till you have worked out what where and how. You need to know how much water is still in there, how did it get in there, and what damage has been done and what is it going to take to repair it properly.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 22:16   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I'm with all the others. Get it fixed before you reslip. Had one rudder delaminate once when under spinnaker. Scary.

If you get more water out when its warm, then why not create a 'oven' using a heater and wood frame / plastic covers and really get it dried out?

I don't want to be alarmist but also suggest you might want to check out what form of core is inside the rudder as well. A wood core may have been damaged by so much moisture.

Drilling more holes and circulating warm air will help get the moisture out - as would some form of vacuum bagging if you could arrange it.

Once fully dry and you also happy with the rudders structural strength, you can as suggested plug all openings with epoxy putty, fair off, repaint and refit.

Its not as hard as it might sound.
Good luck
JOHN
Old 24-04-2007, 01:24   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Photo?

Could you post a couple of photos?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 08:39   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
drill bigger holes in the rudder to help it dry out faster and to gauge the extent of the damage. Would you drive a car if the steering wheel was about to fall off?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 10:07   #8

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Do it right

There are two problems with a fiberglass rudder and a stainless rudder stock. First it is difficult to make a seal that will hold up to the water between the stainless and fiberglas interface. Second, once water gets into the rudder and a crack develops in the rudder any sealing of the crack will often result in another crack when the rudder is exposed to direct sunlight.

Like others have pointed out if the core has soaked up water the entire rudder should be opened and the core removed and replaced. The seal between the stock and the fiberglass needs to be professionally repaired. All this is still less expensive than making a new rudder.

It took me three attempts and 5 years before my rudder finally got fixed. It never was proper even from the factory. Finally found a competent boat yard with the personnell sufficiently knowledgable and experienced to effect a permanent repair. They removed the rudder and repaired with it to a shop and did some magic because after six years it still is in great shape.
Old 24-04-2007, 10:30   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I have the same problem with my rudder. I have removed it. I'm going to split it down the centerline and then try to remove the halves. If that doesn't work I'm going to grind away the glass and foam that is in there and check the welds. If the welds have been in saltwater then they might need to be redone. Once I get that finished then I'll foam fill and try to line up the two halves again, reglass with epoxy and seal the top of the rudder where the stainless shaft enters with polysulfide sealant that is flexible. Hopefully that will cure the problem.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 10:56   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I reinforced my rudder last year

before doing the hyd. steering install. That gave me a chance to find any problems along the way.

It had a lot of surface cracks but none to the core, fortunatly. I drilled a few small holes in the bottom and let it dry out in several positions for a couple months before doing some fare work.

There was a small gap where the post goes into the rudder. So, I ground out a 1/4" grove in the glass around the post where it passes thru. Then filled that with the softest Boatcalk so it would flex as needed. Then glassed over the top of that. I stripped it all down to bare glass and covered it with two more layers of glass and epoxy. The entry point for the post is around 4" above the waterline but still I wanted it sealed good for the rough weather. Before and after shots below........................._/)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strippedrud2.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1087   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder-glass1.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1088  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder-finish.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1089  
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 15:02   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Looks like a great job. Did you check out the metal web inside the rudder for corrosion at the joints?
When we get a few rudder failures coming from the West Coast to Hawaii each year it makes me skeptical about the internal workings and quality of work done on the interior skeleton of the production rudders.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 16:45   #12

Thanks!

Thanks very much for the replies folks. With this much consensus, I have to agree and will have the yard pull and rebuild the rudder, along with inspection of the armature.

The oozing water is rusty and I don't want to chance it.

Dave S/V Horizon
wallandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 18:38   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Looks like a great job. Did you check out the metal web inside the rudder for corrosion at the joints?
When we get a few rudder failures coming from the West Coast to Hawaii each year it makes me skeptical about the internal workings and quality of work done on the interior skeleton of the production rudders.
JohnL
This boat was all hand built (No mold then). But there were no signs of rust/bleeding so I left the rudder intact. This one has two sister ships. One has crossed the Pacific twice. Haven't heard of any failures. The rudder shaft is 3-1/5'' OD stainless pipe with 3/8" wall. And it's filled with some kind of resin. It pivots straight so I'm not too worried............._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder