Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2007, 11:29   #1

Boat: Montego 25M
An introduction is in order

Hello all,

I have been lurking for some time, Gleening wisdom from the voice of experience. Now I find myself in need of some specific advice. I am the proud new (or new to me) owner of a 1982 Montego M25. She is sound and needs only cosmetic restoration. The first thing I want to do is re-bed hatches, grabrails and windows. What product and technique is best for this endever? Are there any "tricks of the trade" you can bestow upon this nubie tradesman?
Old 26-04-2007, 11:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hi d28, if you do a quick search, (hopefully) you should come across quite a bit of info already discussed. One fine discussion here was under the heading, "how to have Sexy windows".
Let us know if you have further questions

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 12:41   #3

Found it

Thanks Wheels, I found the article... I should have done that in the first place.
Old 26-04-2007, 13:17   #4

Let me jump in. I am researching this process now. The key piece of info the article leaves out is which tape to use.

I have been in contact with 3m and here is what they recomend. I am lifting from the email they sent me:

"You are exactly right, 3M™ VHB™ Tape 5952 industrial tape 45 mil gray closed-cell acrylic foam carrier. Conformable. Good adhesion to many powder coated surfaces and plastics will work on your application. Another alternative is the 3M™ VHB™ Tape 4941."

It has taken me about a month of causal looking and searching to find the right tape. I will be using the VHB 5952 with Lexan windows. Another key piece of info is from the spec sheets. The thicker the tape the more it is able to conpensate from thermal expansion, which Lexan is prone to. The VHB tape also works as a weather seal backing up the silicon. I was a little concerned about no mechanical attachments on these ports, till I read that this tape is used in construction to attach glazing and metal panels to the sides of buildings with no mechanical attachments. If it can hold a 4x8 sheet of metal in a high temp, high wind enviroment 15 stories above the heads of innocent pedistrians on the sidewalk below. I think it can handle my 18"x36" deadlights.

I have the broucher for this tape as a pdf, but it is too large to upload. Go to 3m.com/vhb and you should be able to find it.

I will be doing mine towards the end of this season. I'll post pics of the process at that time.
Old 27-04-2007, 13:59   #5

Why delay!!!

Thanks Maddog,

You and I share some of the same concerns. Why procrastinate, I say do the job now and send me the pics and critique of the process. I plan to start mine this weekend (weather permiting) and will report any unintended consequences. I appriciate everyones time and experience... thanks. Any recomendations for re-bedding a hatch and what to use to re-caulk the exterior grab rails?
Old 27-04-2007, 15:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by d28mrtn
Thanks Maddog,

You and I share some of the same concerns. Why procrastinate, I say do the job now and send me the pics and critique of the process. I plan to start mine this weekend (weather permiting) and will report any unintended consequences. I appriciate everyones time and experience... thanks. Any recomendations for re-bedding a hatch and what to use to re-caulk the exterior grab rails?
Let us know which tape and who you bought it from. I hear it is pricey around $2/ft. I hope I'm wrong. At the 3M web site, they do list vendors. I belive you will only find the vhb tape at an industrial supply house.
Old 28-04-2007, 03:50   #7

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Try a local sign shop they use lots, well at least I did when I was in that business.
Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote