Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2009, 09:41   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikHall View Post
My good mate is so good she knows a spanner, a Philips head, a Robinson head, metric and imperial - I do not know what I would do without her!
I love you Linda!
And, unlike I, I'm sure that Linda's much too polite to point out that it's actually a Robertson head.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 09:42   #32

Boat: Irwin Citation 34 - Mystery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
And, unlike I, I'm sure that Linda's much too polite to point out that it's actually a Robertson head.
She also spells a lot better than I do.

Look at writerhall.com

Rik
RikHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 11:02   #33

If something keeps re appearing on the latest list, but doesn't seem to get done, maybe you dont need it! (looking at my old lists, I see some stupid things that never quite got done....thanks god!)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 11:35   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
-- always buy 2 more fasteners than you need. One to fall in the bilge and one to go in the spares.

-- there's nothing quite so valuable as a long-stemmed screwdriver.

-- multitools are like all terrain vehicles. They might do the job, but they won't do it very well.

-- Try not to stow your tools in a difficult-to-reach place, as it will discourage you from getting things done -- especially those quick projects.

-- Always put a liberal dose of "aesthetic" projects on your to do list. They might not be as important, but their completion is good for morale.

--Teach your 10-year-old about tools and how to retrieve them.

-- Don't underestimate your ability. You can probably do as good a job as a pro at a fourth of the cost.
Old 29-06-2009, 11:52   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
It never costs more than you think, the problem is you are not thinking of the correct number.
Do absolutely everything as if your life depends on it ( it does) and plan in the redundancy while you refit.
when refitting the interior imagine an 8D battery being thrown across the cabin and A. do everything you can to prevent that and B. do everything you can to prevent the damage when that occurs
form follws function.
Classic Rock makes for great work on your boat music
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 12:30   #36

some great ones in there sneuman...
-- "always buy 2 more fasteners than you need. One to fall in the bilge and one to go in the spares." I would just go ahead buy the box of 100....:>)

-- "Try not to stow your tools in a difficult-to-reach place, as it will discourage you from getting things done -- especially those quick projects." This is actually true....IMHO then again.... I get lazy fast in the tropics

-- "Don't underestimate your ability. You can probably do as good a job as a pro at a fourth of the cost." You may do it twice, but it will still be cheaper and you will have it done by the time you make all the phone calls and try to decide on someone..., and that pro....he's still learning a lot of the time!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 12:34   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikHall View Post
She also spells a lot better than I do.

Look at writerhall.com

Rik
WOW - A prolific author, a Senior Navigator, and married to a Canadian!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:22   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrsn View Post
Never never look under or behind any thing unless you want to open a bigger 'can of worms'...
The corollary of course is -- never fail to look under anything unless you want to swim in the middle of the night during a thundersquall.
clearsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:18   #39

Boat: Privilege 37
Always use a new lock washer or lock nut

when removing lock nuts or lock washers always throw them away immediately or they will end up back in the tool box.

If a nut needs to be locked on, then use both a chemical lock as well as mechanical.

when buying wire or rope, always buy at least 2 meteres more than required, because too much doesnt matter as much as too little does.

when measuring for a new main halyard, remind the person doing the measurement that you not only need the height of the mast, but you also need to double that plus deck requirements (blush).

Never try to re-splice old double braid.

buying cheap a/f masking tape, and telling yourself that you will be removing it before it starts to degrade, is a preparation for hours of fun trying to remove adhesive from just above the A/F

polish the hull before doing the A/F - otherwise polish on the A/F will reduce the effectiveness of the A/F and make it look yuck

a quick sanding over the old A/F especially at the boot topping, should be done prior to doing the A/F, but only after the hull polish.

a few minutes work to feather the edges of a/f hollows will reveal if the previous layer is falling off, and this better done before applying a new layer .

workmen climbing the ladder up into your boat will always have dirty boots, and invariably will kick the hull through the ladder rungs - a pvc ladder back will prevent a lot of work. One of those special mats that soak up the dirt at the top of the ladder will also pay dividends.
Old 02-09-2009, 13:34   #40
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
When you get the thought that you neet to hurry up or even worse that No one will see this, remember all the schlock work that you were swearing about when you started the refit.

Do it right, do it once.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit