Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2007, 18:38   #1

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1
Ten-Tom

I have about decided to go up the mississippi by way of the Ten-Tom and back down by way of the Mississippi.

Now I am looking for charts. I have a set of CDs with all the river charts of the US....or so I thought. I bought them on EBay and had not looked at them since (about a year ago) because I didnt need them. But tonight I spent an hour looking at the CDs and they contain all the charts of the coastal entrances to rivers, but NO river charts. The mississippi only goes as far at Baton Rouge and I cannot even find anything north of the north end of Mobile bay.

Could someone clue me in to where the Ten-Tom begins and where it goes and where I could find charts on this route. Also I need charts of the mississippi as far north as it goes.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 19:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The US Army Corps of Engineers is responsible for inland rivers not NOAA. It's why your references end so short of the mark.

The charts are slightly different but you can purchase the books or obtain the ENC or BSB charts free in electronic format. There is also commercial versions you may find in a format that is perhaps easier to use.

Guide books that can cover the shore activities and facilities are also advised as well. Stuff on the river changes quickly. There is a web site for the Ten Tom that includes a lot of things all of value. The Mississippi tends to divide between the Upper (north of the Ohio) and the lower. The two sections are quite dramatically different.

Though departed Skipper Bob materials are also an exceptional value and reasonable cost. Anyone with prior military background there is a free marina guide of military facilities you can avail yourself from Skipper Bob free.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 20:46   #3

That millitary thing sounds good. I am a USAF vet and also a member of the Navy League which normaly will get me into most millitary installations. Thanks for the tip.
Old 22-01-2007, 01:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway

The Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway (popularly known as the Tenn-Tom) is a 234 mile long, 300 feet wide by 9 feet deep, artificial waterway that provides a connecting link between the Tennessee and Tombigbee rivers.
The waterway begins at Pickwick Lake on the Tennessee River, then flows southward through northeast Mississippi and west Alabama, finally connecting with the established Warrior-Tombigbee navigation system at Demopolis, Alabama.

Ten-Tom Maps:
Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway Maps Page

Tenn - Tom Waterway Development Authority
P.O. Box Drawer 671, Columbus, MS 39703
TEL (662) 328 - 3286
FAX (662) 328 - 0363
Email: tenntom@ebicom.net

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 03:24   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That millitary thing sounds good.
I have two neighbors one retired Marines and the other retired AF. They both have used the Skipper Bob military facilities materials on the ICW. Lots of recent changes so it helps to have the newest information especially for the ICW in the Carolinas.
Old 22-01-2007, 07:32   #6

I am not retired. Didnt stay long enough, but at most millitary installations my Lifetime membership in Navy League affords me the same priveleges, base access, MHWR, dining hall, BOQ etc. everything but commisary priveleges. I have never tried it on marinas.

Does anyone know the mast height restrictions on the Ten-Tom before I start getting excited about it?
Old 22-01-2007, 10:57   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Bridges:

http://tenntom.sam.usace.army.mil/pdf/nav/bridges.pdf

Looks to be 52.0 ft for the lowest fixed bridges. It would vary depending on the pool elevation so best to check when you get near if you are up in the 50 ft plus range.

The link in the reply by Gord has a boat load of usefull tips.
Old 22-01-2007, 11:05   #8

Thats great news. My mast height is only 44' and I have tested that assumption on a 47 foot bridge so I know it works..#8-)
Old 22-01-2007, 13:40   #9

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
There is an excellent guide book for the part of your trip from Mobile Bay to the Ohio River, Cruising Guide to the Tennessee River, Tenn-Tom Waterway, and Lower Tombigbee River by the Rumseys. It has a wealth of info including anchorages and marinas. Well worth the price.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:42   #10

I have found a copy of that book and a set of charts also. I am still looking for a source of digital charts though they may not be available.

We are now looking at also cruising up the Black Warrior as far as Tuscaloosa, AL.

Does anyone have any info on this latest addition to our plans? Is it worth the side trip?
Old 17-04-2007, 09:02   #11

Aqua Yacht Harbor?

Anyone know what the transient dock rates are here? Also, are they very friendly to cruisers?
Wilverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 09:11   #12

Does you mean they CHARGE for using the locks??? I have never been charged for using a lock on the Intercoastal Waterway.
Old 17-04-2007, 10:44   #13

No, the Docks.

A lot of marina's charge a price per foot to use a dock (or slip).
Wilverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 11:12   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am still looking for a source of digital charts though they may not be available.
There are ENC charts to waters managed by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Inland Electronic Navigation Charts

It's basically a 300 ft wide ditch 9ft deep almost all the way bank to bank. They didn't make any bigger than they had to. The Inland River charts don't show depth just the course and location of facilities. They don't use bouys much but tend to prefer day marks. The use of bouys is mostly found in areas where the 9 ft channel isn't almost all the way across. The ENC charts also include bridge profiles as not all the bridges are uniformly the same.

The guide book would be more useful as anchoring is not something you can just do any place you want so you will need the use of the facilities for some part of the trip.
Old 17-04-2007, 12:47   #15

OOOps, I missread that post. I thought it said "locks" I thought there was the inplication that locking through a lock intailed a fee.

Sure, docks and slips cost money. Along the ICW I paid as much as $3 a foot in Florida.