Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2016, 14:03   #16

Re: Tool for removing nuts on VERY long keel bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your saying there is 10" of bolt sticking out through the nuts?
If so I'd make my own 12" socket by cutting the end off and welding in a 10" section of pipe.
Yep been done many times for other uses.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:38   #17

I would cut them IF I dropped the keel, easy to do it properly then.
I don't buy the extra length for alignment idea, things are either lined up or not - an extra 10" of length won't change that. In fact I'd say you could be more sure of your alignment re-installing a keel with shorter studs.
Some good ideas here for extension sockets, it's what I'd do.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:09   #18

Keel bolt socket

scroll to the top
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:26   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

If you guys read the first post, it looks like the nuts go way down into a narrow bilge... say 4-6" across... if the long studs aren't obnoxiously intrusive, I'd not cut them off...

I have 1 stud that is about that length... the rest being the normal couple inches of available thread for the nuts... While being a PITA to to have a "special tool" for 1 stupid stud... it is a godsend for keel alignment, being able to lift the boat 10" off the keel, and drop it back down without having to find the stud holes again...

Make the pipe socket...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:28   #20

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

How did Irwin tighten them upon first installation?
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:32   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Pass through sockets.

Something like:
GearWrench 891226 25 Piece 1/2-Inch Drive (30mm) Pass Thru Ratchet Set with Locking Flex-Head - Sockets - Amazon.com

You may need to search for very long extensions.
Pass through sockets? Thanks for that - Ive never heard /seen of these. I use ratcheting spanners a lot.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:40   #22

Boat: Vagabond 14

Possibly the bolts are that long to facilitate drawing the keel up with the bolts. I'd hesitate before cutting without knowing why they are so long.

of course... if that much thread is covered in rust (needing to replace the long threaded sections anyway) when you try removing it there will be a strong incentive to chop them off flush with the nuts.

The special tool or making the super extended deep well socket using pipe sounds like the answer.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:20   #23

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I have made several sizes out of black iron pipe, 2lb mall, and an acetylene torch. Not difficult to beat the hex in the pipe. Doesn't have to be a precision fit on the nut.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:05   #24

Boat: Cheoy Lee OS 41 ketch

Might want to think about the fact that the long threaded bolts you have, may have backed out of the keel. You should find out how long of thread ingaugement (sp?) in the design of the keel mounting. My 2 cent bet, is the keel threaded studs have backed out of the keel and now you have long studs showing in your bildge. Could be hanging by just a few threads in the keel. I would seriously check for this condition , as it cares the heck out of me.
Racer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 13:17   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your saying there is 10" of bolt sticking out through the nuts?
If so I'd make my own 12" socket by cutting the end off and welding in a 10" section of pipe.
Good grief: you mean the nut is at the base of a 10" bolt? Good luck. Do not cut of the bolt since it probably is meant to allow removing the underlying part of the bolt from the keel. Contact Snap-on, they may have a special tool for this purpose. Would be fairly easy to design one.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 15:35   #26

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Red face Re: Tool for removing nuts on VERY long keel bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamechanger View Post
The keel bolts on my 43 foot Irwin MkIII stick through the hull about 10 inches into the bilge. The bilge width is quite narrow so a socket wrench would appear to be the only tool suitable for loosening or tightening the nuts. That said, I've never seen a 10 inch long deep socket so I'm struggling to know what tool to use. I've tried a box end wrench and there simply isn't enough room in the bilge to turn it more than 1/16th of an inch. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?
jeepbluetj has the correct idea -pass through socket, socket wrench, and extension(s). Figure out the correct socket size and type (SAE or metric) by slipping on ordinary ones until you get the correct size. Then use Google (or other search engine) to try to find sources for the individual pieces - unless you want a set. In addition to the ratchet wrench (which I strongly suggest at 1/2" minimum, with 3/4" if avaiable being probably better) and the correct socket, you will need extensions long enough to be able to ratchet effectively, or perhaps uses a breaker bar for the necessary leverage. It is also possible the tools can be rented or borrowed (from a local yard).
Old 06-05-2016, 09:33   #27

Boat: Beneteau 423

I didn't know about Pass-Through sockets or Crow's Feet wrenches so I truly appreciate the links to info about these tools. When all is said and done it appears to me that making a custom 10-12 inch deep socket is the best way to go. Cutting the bolts would limit the distance that the keel can be dropped to do keel joint repairs on-the-hard. As well the Pass-Through and Crow's Feet tools would make proper nut torqueing difficult.
Many thanks to all who contributed.
Gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:08   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamechanger View Post
I didn't know about Pass-Through sockets or Crow's Feet wrenches so I truly appreciate the links to info about these tools. When all is said and done it appears to me that making a custom 10-12 inch deep socket is the best way to go. Cutting the bolts would limit the distance that the keel can be dropped to do keel joint repairs on-the-hard. As well the Pass-Through and Crow's Feet tools would make proper nut torqueing difficult.
Many thanks to all who contributed.
Still think you should see if there is a tool you could buy that has the strength and exact fit to what you want to do. Making your own rig may result in stripping the outside of the nuts, bending under torque, and basically falling apart into the cavity.

And yes, do not cut the bolt shaft. Would make it more difficult to align the keel with the hull if you drop the keel. Meanwhile soak the nuts with penetrating oils. A daily spray should do it.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:59   #29

Lot's of good advice here. You may need both pass-through socket and cutting the bolts to a shorter length depending on how deep the keelson is.
cjsfsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:59   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsfsm View Post
Lot's of good advice here. You may need both pass-through socket and cutting the bolts to a shorter length depending on how deep the keelson is.
Pass through socket and extension will do the trick. The bolts are that long for a reason.

Tags
keel, keel bolts