Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2011, 07:49   #1

Stainless fabrication for pulpits and bowsprit

The good new is we have an offer on a 35foot sailboat. we'll have to replace the bowsprit, pulpit and aft rails since the new toerail was installed, the old one's don't fit. we could use the existing one but we'd like to upgrade the design to fit our two anchors. one will be a CQR, the other probably a Mason. We've been taking pictures of designs we like and considering offshore safety features as well.
since we haven't worked with a fabricator before, we are not sure of what we don't know...
I'm hoping to get a ballpark estimate of the work to be done, and the sales price allows room for this, but I really don't know what to expect.
Should we provide a design with all measurements?
Should we incorporate teak into the design?
what are some features that have worked for you?
How long should we anticipate for a job this size?
any advice is appreciated!
ShayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 07:54   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Stainless fabrication for pulpits and bowsprit

The only advice I can give without seeing the boat is do not incorporate any teak in the design!
Old 17-06-2011, 09:22   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Try whitewatermarineinc.com. Will quote you off of their templates, which you can download. Not connected, but know their products.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:22   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I would think using as much of the existing structures/material would be cost saving.
The fabricator should join you ON THE BOAT and together you work out the details, take measurements, make sketches, templates or mock-ups as required and other details.
Its real important IMO to have the cheek plates of the roller assembly connected across the top so there is no way your anchor rode can jump out if you get sideways. This can be a plate or a bolt.
Also consider how you will attach you snubber.

If your running lights are fitted to the pulpit don't forget to allow for the wiring chase, and for gods sake, put the plates the lights mount to parallel to each other and plumb...I see so many boats with the lights following the same lines as the pulpit...drives me crazy.

You'll be way ahead of the game if you can have your anchors with you when sorting out the bow rollers, Manson and Rocna anchors are pretty particular.

Push pit details may include a bracket for your dingy motor, chocks for a stern anchor, fold out solar panel brackets, life ring braket, an easy route/chase for GPS or other antenas you may want to mount on the rail, those little corner pushpit seats I see on some boats look very practical...If you've been looking around you'll have some ideas about whats needed.
Pictures would be helpful.
No idea what you could expect to spend on this...way to many variables.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 09:28   #5

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

[QUOTE=James S;710176].
If your running lights are fitted to the pulpit don't forget to allow for the wiring chase, and for gods sake, put the plates the lights mount to parallel to each other and plumb...I see so many boats with the lights following the same lines as the pulpit...drives me crazy.

.More common than one would think, eh James?

Goes right along with installing the lens reversed, because the lights were assembled in the yard, from a ladder, while facing aft.
Old 17-06-2011, 09:37   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

[QUOTE=Blue Stocking;710182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post

.More common than one would think, eh James?
I see it on production boats all the time and wonder how they get CG approval or what ever they get?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 13:54   #7

thanks for the suggestions. i agree about the cheek plates on the anchor rollers. We don't have one of the anchors yet, so that will be challenging. We don't need to worry about the nav lights, but the snubber line is a good thing to remember!
we are considering pushpit seat, and the chocks for a stern anchor and life ring. We don't hav our solar panels yet, so don't know what will be needed. I'll have to think about the antenna... Good ideas all!
Since we are replacing the stanchions, we also need to decide the height of stanchions and railings. Being tall i'd prefer higher, i guess.
I like the idea of designing our own, but so many details... Ugh.
i will get a picture. Thanks for your help!
Old 17-06-2011, 13:57   #8

Pictures!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2087.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	28646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2096.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	28647  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2112.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	28648  
Old 17-06-2011, 14:13   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

No idea where you are BUT.......if you are around the Chesapeake give this guy a try. He just replaced the wooden pulpit on his own boat with one made of SS.

He is a real blacksmith and appears to do nice work.

FORGED CREATIONS LLC.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowsprit