Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2014, 13:25   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Spartan Seacocks

Has anyone actually worked on Spartan Seacocks? I serviced all of mine during my recent haulout. I had done them about 3 years ago. After a month, I have one that is dripping. I tightened the combination nut/flange, but can't get it to stop weeping. My question is, is there a shoulder inside the seacock body, that limits the depth of the tapered plug, or is it strictly the nut/flange against the body of the valve. If that is the case, if lapped too often (which I haven't done), is it possible that the small end of the tapered plug could extend just a touch past the body, so that the nut/flange is hitting the taper rather than the body. If that is the case, I would assume there is no way to correct the situation, other than a new seacock.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 13:51   #2

Re: Spartan Seacocks

I don't know them, had some 20+ years ago. But your theory sounds good. Another possible fix, lube it with Lanolin instead of grease next time. I've never lapped a tapered seacock in 40 years. Just clean them with woven scotchbrite and clean and apply lanolin. lanolin can be tough to turn the seacock in cold climes though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 14:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"if lapped too often (which I haven't done), is it possible that the small end of the tapered plug could extend just a touch past the body, so that the nut/flange is hitting the taper rather than the body."

If that is the problem, and I think it unlikely, could you fashion a big washer to put under the flanged nut? This should buy you a few more threads.

You should be able to tighten the nut so much that you can't turn the tapered plug. If the nut is tight and you can still turn the plug, you may have found the problem.
Old 19-06-2014, 14:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

The official Spartan sanctioned on-line tutorial may help.....

Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks (LINK)
Old 19-06-2014, 15:01   #5

Get the Spartan Seacock grease - by far the best thing that ever happened for servicing tapered cone seacocks - much better than lanolin or waterproof bearing grease.
lrclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 15:25   #6

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I am going to call Spartan tomorrow. I did the servicing when I had a lot on my mind, and wasn't paying full attention. I just don't remember if the body is a complete taper or has a lip at the small end. Luckily it is just a deck drain, so I might just bang a plug in the trough hull, take it apart and try lapping it. If not, I will keep the plug in until next haul out. There are other deck drains. If I have to replace it, I am pretty sure I would use another Spartan, nice piece of equipment.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote