Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2005, 06:57   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yep - Use PVC Hose.
Nope - hose is not the problem, just the location of the symptom.

Sanitation Hose:
Quoting Peggy Hall:
“... Hose is indeed often a source - but not the cause-of odor. If sewage stands in any hose, it will eventually permeate the material, so if possible, run your hose without any low spots where sewage can stand, and always be sure flush the head sufficiently to push all the sewage out of the hose and rinse behind it. As part of the routine of closing up the boat, close the intake seacock, flush the head dry, then pour about a quart of fresh water into the head and flush that through the system completely. If limited holding capacity makes extra flushing each time the head is used impractical, following this routine when leaving the boat will solve most odor problems ...

... Sanitation hose should be flexible smooth-walled PVC with an ID (inner diameter) of 11/2" --except for the discharge from a macerator to an overboard through-hull--(installed below the waterline, please!) which is typically 1"). Since the standard fittings on holding tanks are 11/2", when coming off a macerator to a holding tank, it will be necessary to break the hose, using a 1" to 1 1/2" adapter. The standard size of the hose from a holding tank to the deck fitting is also 1 1/2" ID .. ”

PVC Sanitation Hose is available from:
“Trident”: http://www.tridentmarine.com/
“Sealand Technology” (Dometic): http://www.sealandtechnology.com/intro.htm
“Lee Sanitation Products”: http://www.leesan.com/products.php?page_id=10

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 07:26   #17

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Ozone and rubber

When I used to race my motorcycles on the road race courses in the Pacific Northwest I had the same tyres on the go fast bike as the other guys. The tyres on my bike would change to a purple kind of colour between races ( it sat out side ). Mine were the only tyres to do this. None of the tyres parked in Vancouver or Seattle and Portland areas would change colour. We always figured it had to do with the ozone layer over our area. Or we just got more sunshine.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:10   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
If your odor problem has gotten into fabrics around the boat, like carpet, curtains, squabs etc etc, a fantastic product is available. It is marketed in NZ as "Fabreeze". It kills any odor in fabrics and I often use it on the boat. It makes a lovely fresh smelling boat.

Hoses, yes it is important to use the correct material. As for the use of chlorine, don't wash it away after applying. Spray it lightly around the bilge and around hoses and anything you can and leave it. Let it do it's job. As it does it's job, it breaks down. Unless you have a continuing leak somewhere, the odor should stop. If it doesn't, then there is a leak somewhere. Remember , the leak may not be liquid. It could be fumes from a breather joint, or tank seal. It could be coming back up a drain or head if the tank isn't breathing correctly. Especially if you heel and the tank contents then block the breather. I have two breathers on my tank. One on each side, so as when the boat is heeled over, the other side of the tank breaths. It has to breath as the pressure continually changes in the tank from movement and temperature change. It puts pressure on hose hose joints and any possible place of exit, such as the head or a sink drain.
Good luck Gunner.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:08   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I did replace my deck vents. One was broken and the other was plugged. It help some. Like I have been trying to say I have changed many items and I have found many problems and thought I got it. Each time the problem was lessened but still there. The ozonater has done a nice job taking it the rest of the way. Bilgebusters are being sold to take care of this problem as a marine item. What is the problem using one? I have a Alpin are made for car and home use. it is not made for the marine enviroment but it does a nice job.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:27   #20

Boat: Privilege 37
From my research on this subject , the smells are likely to come from one of two places:

From the hoses - easy solution, make sure you pump enough so the efluent does not remain in the hoses.

From the holding tank - If the tank stinks, the good bacteria that kill the smell are not getting enough air, so improve the ventilation to the tank - bet you the hose and deck vent are too small!

If in doubt - ask the headmistress!
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:18   #21

and the best (least smelly, most durable) material for a holding tank is....?
Old 05-03-2005, 11:46   #22

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Plastic

http://www.ronco-plastics.com/

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2005, 05:03   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
The current issue of Pratical Sailor speaks obout ozone generators and how well they work. It also talks about the hazzards of using one all the time. They say use it to get the results and then turn it off. That is what I have been doing. I never knew that there could be any health hazzard.