Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 09:45   #1

Boat: Dudley Dix aluminum 43'
Sherwin-Williams SeaVoyage Anti-fouling?

Anti-fouling is a challenge when you have an aluminium boat due to the need to avoid high copper concentrations.

Our Dix43 has had some success with Trilux II: lasts about a year; once top rated by Practical Sailor; and available in Canada. Now we are cruising in Mexico and Southern California and looking at paint alternatives. In Mexico, I noticed someone rolling on a new-to-me product, SeaVoyage by Sherwin-Williams. The active ingredient is 6% Econea so no copper and it is aluminium hull safe as well as being better of the environment.

Any comments on this product would be appreciated. Thanks, Ian
Namoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:16   #2

Re: Sherwin-Williams SeaVoyage Anti-fouling?

Did you ever get any responses? I'm weighing the same question...
SollaSollew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:06   #3

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

Econea is a new ecofriendly paint..... check petit or other manufacturers for their eco friendly scones based paints. Pacifica plus is one that has it.
Old 09-01-2020, 13:14   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Our steel boat is covered with Sherwin-Williams paints of various sorts. That was what our yard got for us; I didn't even know that they made marine paint. So far, so good.
Old 09-01-2020, 13:25   #5

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

I have been using their ablative paint for two seasons with great results.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 19:34   #6

I have isolated back stay with icon Marine auto tuner works well with IC-7300. If you don't want to cut back stay I would investigate mobile antenna like Texas big catcher on stern rail. If not needing under sail then I would play with vertical 1/4 wave vertical antenna out of wire and hoist it with main halyard. Check out Callum M0MCX YouTube channel he has great info on 1/4 wave vertical and how to do radials. Easy to build your own out of plain insulated wire. I made one with 1/4 wave elements for 20, 17, and 40m for home hoisted in a tree. Works really well and no tuner necessary.

Using the entire rig I would have concerns about the RF exposure. Hard to get proper separation from elements.
ric14854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 20:00   #7

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric14854 View Post
I have isolated back stay with icon Marine auto tuner works well with IC-7300. If you don't want to cut back stay I would investigate mobile antenna like Texas big catcher on stern rail. If not needing under sail then I would play with vertical 1/4 wave vertical antenna out of wire and hoist it with main halyard. Check out Callum M0MCX YouTube channel he has great info on 1/4 wave vertical and how to do radials. Easy to build your own out of plain insulated wire. I made one with 1/4 wave elements for 20, 17, and 40m for home hoisted in a tree. Works really well and no tuner necessary.

Using the entire rig I would have concerns about the RF exposure. Hard to get proper separation from elements.

Tags
anti-fouling