Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2012, 19:17   #271

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Refurbing / Refitting an Older boat - Advice and Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jassen View Post
However...I kinda missing have a project of some sort to work on. Feels naked without one!
If that be the case, there are some trailer sailers out there that are free. Something like that is good experience, and if one screws it up trying repairs, not much loss.
Old 17-06-2012, 07:33   #272

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Jassen, you would be amazed what all goes wrong with a neglected boat, even a glass one. We make our living trying to bring them back to life.
Charlie Cobra is right. Know what your getting into before you get into it. A survey is a great start.
If you want to see a peak of what it takes look here.

Conyplex Corporation Contest 33

This is my own little personal rebuild.
Old 17-06-2012, 07:52   #273
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have seen some truly deficient surveys that were done on boats the alleged surveyor should have known about---is best if you can actually have the knowledge when you go into a boat--first hand knowledge---so YOU know what is needed---surveys are great for insurance and loan purposes, as they were meant to be...for REAL repairs, know it yourself. if you do not know what is needed--bring a good friend who DOES know a lot about boats--MEBBE then you can know exactly what is going to be needed.

before i paid any money for this formosa, i read all 3 of the surveys that were included in the package of paperwork i found on board--none of them said anything of any value and i found myself the problems on this boat. no i did not have a survey done on her--i found the problems that were addressed prior to my purchase had not been attempted. i bought her anyway. but then i KNEW what to look for and how to fix it and how much money it would cost vs how much comfort i would gain with her repairs accomplished. also brought down the purchase price considerably.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 08:18   #274

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Our yacht club annual membership is around $650. Included in that we have the use of 2 day sailers - I'm not sure what they are because they don't interest me but just looking at them on the dock they're close to 30 feet and would be perfectly adequate to ovenight in for a few nights. The OP should check to see if there are similar opportunities where he is.

Personally I would rather spend more for better condition than get more boat in worse condition. And I wouldn't give 5 cents for survey advice. The longer we own Gray Hawk the more silly things I find that our surveyor missed.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 05:24   #275

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Hey Nia

Good luck with the boat! Let us know how it works out. Varnish? Well you'll never be unemployed if you have to varnish your boat

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 05:55   #276

c) The volume of jobs involved - and the time that costs. Annoyingly most of which are within the skillset of the owner (or can be easily enough learnt) - but the time to complete all 1,000 easy / quick (Lol!) tasks should not be underestimated.......over an extended period a refurb project can really suck out the soul . You do need to get something out of the process during the refurb, other than only the dream at the end of.

Man, do I agree with this section specifically. I've done a fair amount of fiberglass work, woodwork, elctrical, etc and feel pretty confident...but I've found I simply cannot get everything done myself and still have any time to actually go sailing!

When I bought the boat, a 1983 Cape Dory, I had it surveyed. The survey indicated a few items that needed to be fixed right away. Fuel tank had to be replaced and the tabbing on the bulkhead that surrounded the tank had broken loose. So, before relaunching, I took the old tank out measured it carefully, took pictures and sent the info to a place in NJ, they sent me a new one, perfect fit and all, so I reinstalled it, reglassed the bulkhead, replaced the fuel lines and reconnected them. I had a local diesel company come by and make sure I had everything done right. They said it was fine and then offered me a job! LOL

The wiring and electrical are an unbelievable mess! Years ago (more than I want to admit) I installed communication equipment so have a basic understanding of this sort of thing, but no matter how much I worked with it and stared at it, it never got done. I could rip everything out and start over, which is what I want to do, but I have accepted the fact that I can't get it all done and still enjoy the boat. So....I'm hiring someone to do it. I'll do some of the tear out to save some hours but, at least it'll get done.

I really enjoy working on the boat and even in winter when on the hard I'll go over, run an extension cord for a small heater and do stuff, or sit and plan to do stuff.

And agree, that a long range plan is critical.
decatur1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 06:36   #277
Nia

Boat: was 17' Thistle, currently looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Hey Nia

Good luck with the boat! Let us know how it works out. Varnish? Well you'll never be unemployed if you have to varnish your boat
Thanks Carsten.
Old 28-06-2012, 14:50   #278
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by decatur1945 View Post
c) The volume of jobs involved - and the time that costs. Annoyingly most of which are within the skillset of the owner (or can be easily enough learnt) - but the time to complete all 1,000 easy / quick (Lol!) tasks should not be underestimated.........

..............And agree, that a long range plan is critical.
Very true - my main mistake

But the funny thing is I have mostly enjoyed every minute of it .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 01:15   #279

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I guess I've done almost everything you can on a boat, fiberglass repair, gelcoat repair, Stripped out the engine (and repaired and replaced) electrical and, god help me, I've even laid teak deck on a couple of boats.

It is all very enjoyable when you have lots of time, lots of beer, sunshine and the right tools (did someone say - with beer and sunshine shouldn't you be sailing?).

It does take time away from being on the water

Hate electrical

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2012, 09:38   #280

i go places then figger out what i need to fix. isnt difficult many times the things speak to me by breaking in most inopportune moments...... cruising is FUN!!!!!! gt to be n cool places as ye repair the boat to go to more cool places.....this boat is old and some things have been let go to neglect before i bought her, but is being repaired as i go so i dont have to sit in any one place tooo long....
repairing and refitting an older boat before leaving can be a prohibitive venture, but, if you prioritize and d o bit by bit, comes together well. oh yes--make sure to shop each project well so as not to have to spend retail plus 400 percent on marine retail goods.
Old 29-06-2012, 10:30   #281
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i go places then figger out what i need to fix. isnt difficult many times the things speak to me by breaking in most inopportune moments...... cruising is FUN!!!!!! gt to be n cool places as ye repair the boat to go to more cool places.....this boat is old and some things have been let go to neglect before i bought her, but is being repaired as i go so i dont have to sit in any one place tooo long....
repairing and refitting an older boat before leaving can be a prohibitive venture, but, if you prioritize and d o bit by bit, comes together well. oh yes--make sure to shop each project well so as not to have to spend retail plus 400 percent on marine retail goods.
Yes, I didn't buy a boat to spend all my time fixing her so if the list gets a little longer while I'm out enjoying her that's OK. On a sunny day, in a beautiful anchorage, there is pleasure in working on the boat and I'll keep puttering in between trips.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 16:12   #282

Boat: Irwin 40

One of the biggest mistakes I see are the people who when they get a project boat the first thing they do is tear it apart and then are completely overwhelmed by the scope of the project and stall. I always recommend starting with small projects and resist the temptation to improve and focus on getting the boat back to close to original condition or at least serviceable condition. This way you can still use the boat while working on her. Also if something should happen, job, marriage, health, and you have to sell, it is easier to sell a boat that is not in a million pieces and can be used. I bought my boat as hurricane salvage, I took my first vacation trip 1 year after starting on the repairs, 4 years later this summer I sailed to Bermuda and back. No the boat is not done I still have cosmetic issues and a ton of toys and upgrades i would like to do but I now live aboard and get to go sailing while finishing these things. Good planning is key along with tenaciously sticking with it. There is light at the end of the tunnel. And yes I could have bought a boat for what I have in this one and just gone sailing but this boat is the way I want it and everything works! and should it fail to work I know just how to fix it.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 16:30   #283

sailvayu--is why i am doing mine piece by piece--we just moved batteries to under dinette seat and i now have a huge cabinet to modify so i can use it to stow goodies from galley. this is fun this way..poco a poco and sailing between repairs....
Old 01-08-2012, 19:54   #284

Noah's Ark replica opens to public (video)

http://voices.yahoo.com/life-size-re...rs-324317.html

This guy built a 450 ft boat in 4 years. What is taking you guys so long to do a little 'upgrading'?
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 20:58   #285

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have seen some truly deficient surveys that were done on boats the alleged surveyor should have known about---is best if you can actually have the knowledge when you go into a boat--first hand knowledge---so YOU know what is needed---surveys are great for insurance and loan purposes, as they were meant to be...for REAL repairs, know it yourself. if you do not know what is needed--bring a good friend who DOES know a lot about boats--MEBBE then you can know exactly what is going to be needed.
Can I identify with this!
Like house inspections, they seem to be trying to please everybody, which means generalities and the hidden stuff gets lost in semantics.
Saying that, there are surveyors that tell it like it is.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, DOJ, refit, Refurb