Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 16:52   #31

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40
Re: Raising the main

We had a similar problem as our mast was old (30 years) and had lots of nicks and gouges so our sail maker in the Pacific North West (Carol Hasse of Port Townsend) recommended the Tides product. We could not afford it at the time but when we returned to Aus we installed the Tides Marine tides-track and have never looked back. Friends have had it installed for 10 years of world cruising and it is as good as the day it was installed.

e: info@tidesmarine.com.au web Tides Marine Australasia / Pacific | Innovative products for the marine industry
ph: +61 0402 062 447

other cruising friends who have see the system installed aboard Yaraandoo II have also purchased the system.

I have to say when we got the new mainsail we went to 4 full length battons with the extra weight, Mike still uses the winch for the last few feet.

Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 05:58   #32

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Ann,

I appreciate the suggestion. I'm not sure why as I'm not afraid of heights, but going up the mast is not there for me. I went up about 1/3 of the way some years ago and simply could not do it. Which is really odd for me. But seems to be the case. It was the movement back and forth.

As some have suggested the main is huge on my boat. So that is some of the problem. But still don't think that is the full story. But the tests suggested will definitely help find where to look and correct.

I have looked at the sail track product. There was a guy selling his that I looked at a couple years back. But it didn't fit my mast. But I checked with my sail loft and they raved as well. But it is not a few pennies.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 11:34   #33

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Geekguy,
Your idea to hire a rigger is sensible. He will be able to determine if there is a problem and probably can do the fix without unstepping the mast. We drop our mast every three years and I do a complete inspection--including removing the mast cap and inspecting the sheaves. When the OE sheaves are polycarbonate, they could be degraded and need replacement. Also, you might have an issue with a tangled halyard inside the mast which is restricting free movement. This can more easily be done when the mast is down and you can check it properly. Also, you have not mentioned if you raise the main from the mast or from the cockpit. Even though our halyards are led aft to the cockpit, we raise the main from the mast when conditions are not too lumpy and it makes raising a full battened main easier in my opinion. In any event, maintenance and inspection are an important part of boat ownership. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 27-09-2016, 16:29   #34

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Geek-Guy

I am not sure if you saw the correct product Tides Track - you said it did not fit your mast. Each track is made to measure for the slot of the individual mast, so it must fit.

We used a special slotted/pegged measuring device supplied when we expressed our interest and once the correct mast slot measurement was known - the track was purpose built to our measurements. From the date of order we had the made to measure track installed within 5 days - and the track is made in the US. All the track, slides and batton cars are supplied and it is a superior product in my opinion.

Cheers Sue
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 22:41   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Raising the main

It could still be a strength issue. On our main sail of 630sf and 23ft fir boom my husband has no problem raising but I can't get that last couple feet unless I tighten the topping lift to get the boom weight and tight leech out of the equation. We have an 83degree boom to mast angle which may or may not contribute a little.

We have old style 1-1/4" bronze track and bronze cars. If not sailing for a while I also sand the track to get the green corrosion off it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 28-09-2016, 04:45   #36

Sue,

Thanks for the info. I had seen someone selling a used sail track, which didn't fit my mast. Since I squeeze every penny twice before spending.....
The used one would have been tempting to try. But the new one was more than I wanted to spend. Though it might still be in my future.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:11   #37

Rognvald:

Also, you have not mentioned if you raise the main from the mast or from the cockpit. Even though our halyards are led aft to the cockpit, we raise the main from the mast when conditions are not too lumpy and it makes raising a full battened main easier in my opinion.

I don't have a choice on this. The halyard comes out the bottom of the mast and redirects to the cockpit.

I checked the sheaves and halyard this weekend. It appears that all is OK there. I was able to freely pull the halyard up and down with no appreciable sticking or problems.

So next would be to test the sail going up with the slugs removed from the track. Also thinking about the mainsheet and topping lift. I of course am way too good to have those issues.......Though I had a sizable triangle cut out of the bottom of the main to allow clearance of my new bimini. After a little more reflection. I may be trying to pull more sail aloft than there is now.

Thanks for the concepts and I'll check back on those ideas.

Tags
ais