Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 14:24   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Quick wood rail fix

The rails on my boat are looking pretty rough with the varnish? flaking up in a few places and exposing wood. I don't have the time right now to sand it all down and refinish.

What can I do now to protect the wood in these places until I can refinish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rail.PNG
Views:	117
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	150527  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 14:45   #2

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48
Re: Quick wood rail fix

Slap some varnish over it. It will stop it getting worse until you can allocate more time to do a correct repair.
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 15:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Quick wood rail fix

I have a little kit for such spots. It's almost the same as "slap some varnish on it" but before doing the slap, you sand the wood and loose varnish with a bit of sandpaper. Then you tape it off and slap on some varnish. If the color of the wood is black, don't slap that varnish on before doing a little bleaching with a bit more care (note, not much more care) so your slapped on varnish doesn't seal in the black/gray color:

1. sand the flaking stuff off. This only takes a couple seconds. Don't whine about it just do it.
2. with an acid brush (the sort of little brush used for flux and soldering) dab a bit of Davis FSC (fiberglass stain remover...see Amazon has it here w/free Prime shipping http://amzn.to/2t4Jk10 )
3. let that sit a few minutes and then wipe/wash off with water.
4. let that dry for long enough you can tape it (so you can remember to come back to it later after it is fully dry) with a bit of blue tape.
5. Slap some varnish on the bare spot all the way to your tape. Your tape is going to make it so you don't have a "feather" edge that will lift before you do the real varnish job.

That's it.