Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2014, 17:43   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quick electric water heaters - Any way to fix the heating element?

Hello everyone

We are in the Galapagos having some fun before the big hop to Marquesas and guess what?

The heating element of the Quick electric water heater stopped working. There is 120V between the terminals but current does not flow as if the resistance had broken somewhere inside.

Sorry; I got used to warm showers!

I have not taken the element out to see what is wrong with it because I have the strong suspicion it will not be repairable and if that is correct then I do not want to run the risk of creating a water leak.

Can anyone please tell me if there is anything that could be repaired in this heating element?

Thanks

C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 19:42   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Quick electric water heaters - Any way to fix the heating element?

svlamorocha,

I could not find "Quick" water heater as a brand on Google, but if you take the brand name and serial number, you might be able to find an internet source for a manual (if you do not already have one), and you'd be in a better position to see whether or not you have to jury rig something.

Ann
Old 20-03-2014, 19:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I have never tried to repair a heating element, just replaced them. Looking at the old ones when I pulled them out I don't recall seeing anything repairable. It is basically a heavy, high resistance wire that gets hot and with age a break can develop in the wire.

On the other hand, they aren't special items. If you could find one to fit it would not have to be the same brand, just the same voltage and current rating.

Probably nothing to lose by taking out the element. There will be a gasket to keep it from leaking and if you damage the old one you can make a new gasket with material and a tube of gasket sealer from an auto parts store. Worst case scenario if you create a leak you cannot fix you can bypass the heater with a short section of hose until you can get the right parts.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 20:05   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Heating elements are like tungsten light bulbs: When they burn out, you don't fix them, you replace them. You should be able to remove the element and even if it is all consumed or corroded, cut it off clean and screw the base back in to reseal the tank.

You may have a problem replacing it, as the Home Depot in the Galapagos only stock 240V heating elements, no 110/120V. (VBG)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 20:12   #5

Link to the user manual -

http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/quick/243187F.pdf

Have you tried the reset button?
Heating elements themselves are definitely not repairable but replacements should at least be cheap.
The link shows Quick's Nautic BX series but they almost certainly use generic elements.
Hope this helps

Edit: thermostat has a setting screw, might be worth a twiddle...
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 20:18   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You may have a problem replacing it, as the Home Depot in the Galapagos only stock 240V heating elements, no 110/120V. (VBG)
I would just go to the Galapagos RV and Winnebago dealer to get the 110V element.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2014, 07:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornyesterday View Post
Link to the user manual -

http://www.go2marine.com/docs/mfr/quick/243187F.pdf

Have you tried the reset button?
Heating elements themselves are definitely not repairable but replacements should at least be cheap.
The link shows Quick's Nautic BX series but they almost certainly use generic elements.
Hope this helps

Edit: thermostat has a setting screw, might be worth a twiddle...
Bornyesterday

Thank you very much for your message, which did the trick.

I thought I had checked that the small reset button was pushed all the way in but it wasn't pushed in as much as the one on the other side of the boat. The engine must have overheated the water and tripped the overheating mechanism. It is working now!

Thanks again.

C
Old 21-03-2014, 07:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Heating elements are like tungsten light bulbs: When they burn out, you don't fix them, you replace them. You should be able to remove the element and even if it is all consumed or corroded, cut it off clean and screw the base back in to reseal the tank.

Thanks. Here in the Galapagos islands they have plenty of tortoises but no heating elements..