Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 14:25   #1

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Propane detectors

So I am switching to propane (stove) soon. What are your recommendations for propane detectors for the bilge?
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 15:44   #2

Boat: Nicholson 38
Re: Propane detectors

We use two propane detectors that are standard residential ones, and that are sold with a wall wart that provides them with 12V DC. We just wire them directly (via fuses) to the batteries. I'm sure you can get 12V ones too. They cannot be shut off by flipping the main breaker (propane can leak at any time). Their power consumption is small. They have a little green light on them that indicates they are on. This is nice.

We have one just below the appliance in the galley, and one back near the tank where propane would go to if there were a leak.

They work well. If you use a can of eg spray on glue, that uses a hydrocarbon as a propellant - then they go off, even if you are working in a different part of the boat. Makes a good way to test them.

They are made by SafeT Alert.

Toaster
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 17:41   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

It does not have to be in the bilge. Commercial technicians place them below the unit - this is where the density is higher and detection sooner.

No problem to have both actually.

Waeco makes decent ones too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 18:00   #4

My worry is not a leak from the stove, I can smell that. it's in the line to the stove. The latter could slowly fill the deep bilge, where I could not smell anything. For those reasons, my sensor is in the bilge.

The best sensor is one that activates a solenoid to cut the supply off at the tank, in the event of a leak. That means the Fireboy Xintex S1A or similar.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:41   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30 Pegasus VI

I have a new to me boat that has a Fireboy Xintex detector which seems to malfunction giving many alarms that seem to be false. Any one experience with faulty sensors? Do you need to replace regularly?
tlepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:50   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

I also have a Xintex SA1 sysytem. Have had for many years and learned it flase alarms easily. Usually because I threw something in the trash bin that gave off fumes. The first false alarm was after my late wife threw a bit of cotton in the trash that had finger nail polish remover on it...not much...took it till 3AM to create a false alarm condition...which took us about 30 groggy minutes to figure out.

These days I set aside any such bits of trash and let then off gas for a long time before tossing them (probably a good practice anyway).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:24   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
So I am switching to propane (stove) soon. What are your recommendations for propane detectors for the bilge?
Since your life may depend on this, it's not a good place to "cheap out". This is a place to spend the money on a proper detector intended for use on a boat and one that will shut off the propane supply at the tank using the solenoid that the switch controls.

If you use a proper propane line, properly installed, it's unlikely to leak, the chance of a leak is at the connection to the stove or from the stove itself. The detector should be mounted in the vicinity of the stove and down low, perhaps a foot off the floor. I wouldn't put it directly beneath the stove because it could be damaged by something dropped or spilled from the stove.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:24   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I have twin (S-2a) Xintex detectors (catamaran with appliances in both hulls) linked to a valve. Easily tested with a butane lighter.

* The detector must be kept dry. Even sustained high humidity can be a problem, so installation in a damp bilge is problem (this is mentioned in the manual, after all). I run a dehumidifier much of the time and my bilges are dusty dry, but it is mounted at floor level (8" up, to avoid splashes).

* A detector that is NOT linked to a valve is a waste of time and the insurer may not like that.

* There are MANY other vital installation details (proper locker since most regulators eventually leak, no hose connections inside cabin other than the appliance, chafe protection), so I would read up on this.

* Yes, solvents will set them off, but that is NOT a false alarm, now is it? It could also have been something important.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:37   #9

After getting tired of the Xinrtex false alarms, I found the BEP GDL-600 (part of Marinco). They claim a smarter analysis of the sensor and I have never had a false alarm (although it goes off promptly if tested with real propane).

I agree with the others that a solenoid outside the boat is critical. If I could only have one, I'd install the solenoid before the sensor.

http://www.amazon.com/600-GDL-Contou...N%3DB000NI3EXO
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:41   #10

I also wired a manual control to the solenoid on the regulator on the tank, so that when I wanted to turn the stove on I had to reach out and flip the switch next to the stove. When the switch was on a red light was on next to the switch. I have seen a boat about like mine that blew up in a marina near me that gave me a feeling, for the power of the substance loose in a boat. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Rock Candy View Post
I also wired a manual control to the solenoid on the regulator on the tank, so that when I wanted to turn the stove on I had to reach out and flip the switch next to the stove. When the switch was on a red light was on next to the switch. I have seen a boat about like mine that blew up in a marina near me that gave me a feeling, for the power of the substance loose in a boat. Mac
Isn't that part of the ABYC propane requirements? My boat has that. A switch with a light that shows when the propane solenoid is activated and allowing propane to flow.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:09   #12

Speaking of switches. Instead of the standard old on/off propane switch in the galley, I installed a rotary timer switch. This way if we forget, it still turns itself off. This is in addition to a sensor wired to the solenoid.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Speaking of switches. Instead of the standard old on/off propane switch in the galley, I installed a rotary timer switch. This way if we forget, it still turns itself off. This is in addition to a sensor wired to the solenoid.
That's a pretty good idea.
Old 06-04-2015, 16:57   #14

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Little drift: I never turn off the last burner I always turn off the solenoid and let the gas run out this way I never forget and the propane lines are depressurized
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 18:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Little drift: I never turn off the last burner I always turn off the solenoid and let the gas run out this way I never forget and the propane lines are depressurized
I do that sometimes too, but the issue Ive found is forgetting to close that last burner after its burnt out...so its open when the solenoid is turned back on. Not a problem on boats with a thermocouple that's in good working order, but not always the case.

Tags
propane