Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2014, 07:33   #1

Fireboy/Xintex CO detectors

I recently learned something interesting about CO detectors which has prompted me to post this.....

I didn't realize that newer CO detectors (made in the last decade) have a built in timer, powered by a small lithium battery that counts down the service life of the detector. This service life was recently shortened to five years due to UL standards. This timer starts at the factory when the unit is assembled. A detector I purchased about 18 months ago, that I installed, began malfunctioning last month and I sent it to the manufacturer for testing. As it turns out it was manufactured over seven years ago and had reached its "timeout time". I wish I could recall where I purchased it so I could avoid buying from that place again since they are obviously selling units way past their shelf life with very little service life left. I didn't realize how pricey those things have become ....MSRP of $166 ....ouch...if you buy one be sure to check the circuit board for the manufacture date before you leave the store or install it. Fireboy/Xintex did offer me a unit for $120 but fortunately I can buy one at West Marine for $119 minus the holiday discounts so that's not much of a deal. Hope this helps someone else avoid this issue....

Sailing somewhere.....
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 07:42   #2

Very good information. Thank you for sharing.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 08:13   #3

Boat: Rinker 24
Re: Fireboy/Xintex CO detectors

Boy, you gotta love these regulations that don't seem to have safety as much in mind as they do for generating future income.

Back in the 90's when CO detectors were mandated, the prior versions were much more sensitive. This caused an issue at least once in Chicago when I was living there as a smog layer caused all sorts of detectors to go off one night. The industry reacted by desensitizing them.

I have an older detector (made by Nighthawk) that has a digital readout and I also have a newer (dumber) model in the same room for redundancy. The Nighthawk will register readings long before the newer one sounds an alarm. I found this out when we installed a new gas oven once.

Anyway, if I had to choose only one detector I'd look for an older model with a digital readout. Since CO is a cumulative poison I would think that a constant level that is below the threshold of a new model might possibly be a health hazard that does not trigger the current generation.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 08:52   #4

I believe that the Firebox Xintex has a biomimetic sensor. This is considered to be the best and most reliable technology, offering the best protection AND least likelihood of false alarm, but only has a 6 year life, as opposed to the 10 year life of the cheaper technologies. If I am correct, the 5 year timer is appropriate.
Old 27-11-2014, 09:40   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
Boy, you gotta love these regulations that don't seem to have safety as much in mind as they do for generating future income................ .
Put your thinking cap on.

UL is not concerned with generating future income, they are concerned with safety. These devices become less sensitive as they age so they need to be replaced (or rebuilt) after a certain time.

Be happy someone is looking out for your safety.
Old 28-11-2014, 16:00   #6

Boat: CS36T

Motaman9 thanks for the info!