Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2017, 08:27   #31

Boat: Newport 30
Re: "Permanent" gel coat sealant

Thanks Captsteve.
I've heard nothing but great things about Kiwi Grip. At least my choice for the non-skid is easy!

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 11:10   #32
Marine Service Provider

I've had two $30,000 Awl Grip paint jobs done "professionally" (if that word applies in the yacht maintenance business) in the past twenty-five years. One lasted ten years, the second less that seven years and I suffered with a crappy looking boat in between. The problems with Awl Grip, and maybe all LPU paints, are 1. It cures out so hard that it pulls away from the substraight at the inside radii like where the coach roof meets the deck, and 2. Matching any repair jobs, I am told, which I've never had to do yet. The first time with Awl Grip I had the everything but the non-skid done professionally and I did the decks myself. The decks came out like a factory job but the white still failed in five or six years. The second time I had the contractor do the decks as well. They came out so bad that after two years I couldn't stand looking at them so I did them over myself, again, it was simple, fun and looks like a factory job. I haven't found anyone who knows how to do decks properly. Everything is in the prep and if you don't watch these monkeys 24/7 they'll cut corners and if you do watch them 24/7 you might as well do it yourself. I can go to a lot of community colleges and learn how to spray and buy a lot of painting equipment for $30,000. If I hadn't retired my day job today pays $315 per hour. I'd like to back-charge these yard guys at that rate for all the time I've spend fixing their screw-ups.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 17:06   #33

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwon View Post
Hi all.
Doing my after-trip cleanup of the deck and cockpit today, and was reminded of the shape my gelcoat is in! My 30 year old gelcoat is very porous, and because of the disgusting amount of coal dust that the Vancouver Port Authority allows to become airborne from their Robert's bank facility, my gelcoat gets contaminated.
I know there are a large number of non-permanent solutions available, but does anyone know of a spray on or even brush-on permanent solution to stop the coal dust getting in to the coating?
Yes, I know I could paint it!

Thanks all!

Steve
We didn't have the coal dust problem, but we had the 30 year old gel coat problem. The boat had been professionally polished several times in the past, but the sheen would only last a few months, and the last time this was done, we were advised that the boat needed re-painting. On a small 30 year old boat, that cost was very hard to justify, so I went looking for some alternatives that were going to cost less than half what the boat was worth.

I found there are plenty of products out there that give you a good finish, but it doesn't last.

However, I came across one product that does last. It goes on like car polish, buffs off (by hand is fine) like car polish, and the big difference, is that after two years in sun and salt environment, that shine was still there!

The product I found is branded 'Lion Protect', and the product name is 'Gelcoat Sealer'. It's made in Europe, but hopefully you can find it, or at least order online. I found it does not matter if the gelcoat is chalky or not - the product cuts any oxidation off, then seals the gelcoat with nano particles, rather than putting a wax over the gelcoat. That seems to be the secret to the long-term success. Price wise, it is about the same price as a bottle of good quality car polish, so for me, it was a great solution.

Hope that helps you.

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 19:33   #34

Thanks JM and David!
I fully agree with 'professional' jobs. There is simply too much variation between 'pros' to be able to to use any designation at face value. I've had vastly different jobs from professionals with the same designations. Personal recommendations are even suspect as time and circumstances do change.

I'm always interested in new products! For the most part they disappoint, but on occasion they astound. David, I will certainly check out your suggestion.
In that vein, I have discovered a product called 'On-off' which removes rust/stains remarkably! I get a finder's fee if it works for you guys right
Steve
Old 23-07-2017, 06:56   #35

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
In that vein, I have discovered a product called 'On-off' which removes rust/stains remarkably! I get a finder's fee if it works for you guys right
Steve
O/O, if NOT the gel, is very dangerous. It's strong and caustic. I warn people against it.

You are much safer using FSR, a gel or just buying your choice of oxylitic (sp?) acid.

Be careful out there.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 07:32   #36

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Thanks Captsteve.
I've heard nothing but great things about Kiwi Grip. At least my choice for the non-skid is easy!

Steve
Ok, here's something not so good.

I applied some Kiwi Grip around my new windless to cover the repairs I made to the deck.

After two years it is badly stained by mud from the chain and no amount of scrubbing seems to be able to clean it.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 10:14   #37

Thanks Stu. I base my opinion on a friend's experience using On/Off. It cleaned some stains from his hull/deck when literally nothing else worked. However, I will take your excellent advice and be VERY careful!
Of course none of this would be necessary if the Port of Vancouver would stop dumping coal dust all over Tsawwessen and Point Roberts! They (of course) deny doing so, but the cloud of dust over the coal pile that can be seen on windy days is a dead give-away.
Old 26-07-2017, 19:02   #38
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Ok, here's something not so good.

I applied some Kiwi Grip around my new windless to cover the repairs I made to the deck.

After two years it is badly stained by mud from the chain and no amount of scrubbing seems to be able to clean it.
Yeah, I apply and repair marine finishes, and am not a big fan of Kiwi Grip. For a racer who is changing go fast equip. and needs to fill some holes or do some deck repairs due to leaking past core penetrations, it's a viable DIY solution.

For a boat where aesthetics and resale are actually important, I recommend colour-matched and texture matched gelcoat. If that exceeds budget, (hiring out) then Awlgrip with Griptex. For DIY, Interlux Interdeck is a decent solution.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sealant