Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2017, 10:39   #16

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40
Re: "Permanent" gel coat sealant

You should also consider a "boat wrap". More economical than painting. Lasts about 7 years and damage can be easily fixed. Also removable and can change it at any time.

Here's an example of a company down here in Florida that shows some great possibilities:

Florida Boat Wraps - High Quality Boat Wraps, Graphics & Installation – Custom Boat Wraps Florida
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 10:42   #17

Boat: Newport 30

Some good replies, thanks! As for compounding/sanding etc. My issue there is the thin gelcoat I have remaining. I would agree that a 2 part paint is an excellent solution, but is a fairly major endeavor. I'm going to look for an acrylic sealer as Hopcar suggests.

Thanks again!

Steve
westwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 10:43   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

"Poly Glow" is a product that claims to be a permanent sealer for gelcoat. From what I've read from users on boating forums, it doesn't live up to the advertising claims.

You decide. I'm telling you about it but I've never used it and can't personally recommend it. You can find it on the Internet.
Old 21-07-2017, 10:44   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Steve, perhaps a two part clear coat that can be rolled and brushed on? It could be similar to the clear coat found on automobiles.

If the clear coat on automobiles can hold up for many years then why not over gelcoat?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 11:01   #20

I hadn't thought of 2 part clear coatings, thanks!. I really would like to brush on a coating as the cockpit area is so congested. I think this may work though!
Old 21-07-2017, 11:05   #21

And Rwidman, thanks for the suggestion. I have also heard less than spectacular reviews of polyglow. Although, often these reviews have come from people who haven't followed the instructions very well. Not that I would ever skip over important product instructions.....
Old 21-07-2017, 11:08   #22
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I agree with SailMonkey. The best sealant for old gelcoat is going to be paint. More specifically, a two part LPU like Awlgrip. It is tougher than gelcoat and the gloss holds up for much longer.

It's almost a crime that gelcoat is still used for new boats.
I certainly disagree with these comments. I restore gelcoat and apply marine finishes for a living. Nothing beats gelcoat for durability and repairability. Give it
A coat of wax every 3 months (longer in higher latitudes) and it will stay beautiful. Neglect it and it will fade and oxidize. But even after 10 years or more of total neglect, a proper restore job and she's beautiful again. 2 part paints are good, but most find they are repainting about every 10 years to keep the boat looking as nice as gelcoat. For dark colours, paint may be better. My boat is flag blue Awlgrip, just so I have less maintenance in the spring on my own boat, and can spend that time working on others, but after only 5 years, it's not as nice as fresh painted, and picks up Knicks and scratches much easier that cannot just be buffed out.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 11:18   #23

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
"Poly Glow" is a product that claims to be a permanent sealer for gelcoat. From what I've read from users on boating forums, it doesn't live up to the advertising claims.

You decide. I'm telling you about it but I've never used it and can't personally recommend it. You can find it on the Internet.
https://www.amazon.com/Poli-Glow-PG3...words=poliglow

I've only had one person I know who used it and he loved it. On Amazon, there are some 74 reviews and 81% give it five stars. 16% give it 4 stars and 3% gave it 1 star. As stated in the original quote, many point out that you do have to follow the directions and prep work is important. Some people say they put on several coats and others just put on a coat or two. Many reapply it every year and others every few years. My neighbor applied it once and said it lasted around two and a half years before he applied it again. He had a 30 foot cabin cruiser.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 11:19   #24
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwon View Post
Some good replies, thanks! As for compounding/sanding etc. My issue there is the thin gelcoat I have remaining. I would agree that a 2 part paint is an excellent solution, but is a fairly major endeavor. I'm going to look for an acrylic sealer as Hopcar suggests.

Thanks again!

Steve
Yes, if your gelcoat is too thin due to previous maintainance being too aggressive, you are really into an overcoat solution.

Best - gelcoat. Should last another 30 plus years.
Good - 2 part paint, should last 10 years with minor maintenance.
Fair - 1 part paint. 5 years.
Worst - Acrylic coating. Prep to avoid sealing in dirt is about the same hours as prep to gelcoat or paint. 5 coats is akin to 2 coats of primer and 3 of 2-pack. 2 annual maintenance coats is akin to 2 coats of wax spaced apart.

My main beef with acrylic coatings:
1. Slippery when wet.
2. Reacts with sun block to make a dirty gooey mess of the cockpit.
3. Bugger to get off when you realize gelcoat or paint overcoat is better.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 12:00   #25

"Bugger to get off when you realize gelcoat or paint overcoat is better."

Thanks Ramblinrod. That is a real concern. Maybe it's just time for a new boat!!!

Steve
Old 21-07-2017, 16:38   #26

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

I'm in the same boat. Wait... that was funny, huh?
Anyway, my surface is 33 years old, dull, almost chalky. I have hundreds (almost) of hairline cracks. The Nanovere stuff initially looks amazing, but it's clear, and would not hide any hairline repairs. So... it appears that paint will have to be my solution.
The Awlgrip stuff seems to be recommended more often by "posters" here than any other solution.
I have been a painter & painting contractor for 37+ years, and I am no stranger to the rigor of surface prep, I own nearly any piece of spray equipment that you can imagine, and am humbly stating that I am an artist with any structural painting task.
What I have never done in that 37 years is mess with fiberglass. I know nothing at all about coatings on fiberglass, nor can I wrap my head around the existance of "gelcoat"... it just does not compute.
Some sealant products that I applied to structures over 30 years ago are still very stable, and doing what they are supposed to do, but do not perform worth a hoot on fiberglass and/or gelcoat. The repairs I've made with what I have proven are excellent performers on surfaces I've dealt with for many years, just crap out on my boat. I've even tried penetrating glue products that I just KNEW would be the fix... NOT! It hurts my pride, I must confess. However it will be no problem for me to strip those failing sealants completely.

So... I have cracks on my deck that are in areas with that "stipple" slip-resistant profile that I'm having trouble figuring out how to seal, before painting with Awlgrip, maintain the profile, and be compatible with Awlgrip. She's a trailerable legendary 25' "funny car" that I have fallen in love with, and want her to look as good as she sails. I intend to haul her home for the winter, and my goal is to solve her deck appearance issues. Last winter, I completely restored everything from the outer rail (what's that called?) down. All that's left is the deck.

Any input from Awlgrip fans would be greatly appreciated.
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 17:14   #27

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...ff-wax.117266/
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 19:36   #28

Aaarrgh.

I couldn't agree more with you about the whole gelcoat 'thing'. It seems completely wrong to put a porous, crack forming, hard to repair, substance on a vessel that continually twists and bends with the wind and waves! however, the staunch defenders of gelcoat are right about 1 thing: it's durable, even if it doesn't look great after 30 or so years!
My long experience (a navy career and now recreational racing and cruising) with salt air has proven to me that this environment is the toughest by far in which to keep things looking good and working properly.
I'm resigned to the fact that a 2 part paint, properly applied, is the best solution. It's a major job though, and not one I take on lightly.
Damn boats
Old 21-07-2017, 19:47   #29

Stu.
Wow! Thanks. Pretty intimidating, but some fantastic information.

Steve
Old 21-07-2017, 20:03   #30

When you finally get around to deciding to do the painting thing, here's a product i use and recommend to cover decks/top sides where a non-slip surface is required, it looks like a commercial finish that you would find on many new yachts but it's real easy to apply and water clean up- now the thing is that not only does it look professional when complete but many years down the road still looks as good as the day it was applied -Great Product and minimal prior work required to apply,

KiwiGrip | Non-Skid Coating

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sealant