Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 06:02   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Ozefridge Reviews

Ice build up has nothing to do with it being a cold plate, it’s due of course to Ingress or warm moist air into a sub freezing environment. If you still have a drain in your icebox, put a rubber plug in it or stopper of some sort, don’t remove it cause it’s great to have for defrosting and cleaning.

Ice is an insulator and does affect performance, you can scrape off a cold plate unlike a thin plate evaporator, we don’t, we just defrost every month.
I defrost mine by running water over it, melts the ice faster than you would think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 11:20   #32
cruiser

Re: Ozefridge Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ice build up has nothing to do with it being a cold plate, it’s due of course to Ingress or warm moist air into a sub freezing environment. If you still have a drain in your icebox, put a rubber plug in it or stopper of some sort, don’t remove it cause it’s great to have for defrosting and cleaning.

Ice is an insulator and does affect performance, you can scrape off a cold plate unlike a thin plate evaporator, we don’t, we just defrost every month.
I defrost mine by running water over it, melts the ice faster than you would think.
Great reply Pilot, spot on. Just a couple of things to add.... Scraping frost from the Ozefridge eutectic plate is fine as they are stainless steel but for anyone with an aluminium or other soft material plate system, be careful not to puncture it.
Best to only use a plastic scraper or as suggested wash off frost.

As earlier said, excessive frost restricts cooling (heat absorption) and reduces efficiency. This frost is formed from moisture extracted from the air so any excessive air traffic will greatly increase frost build up. Check lid / door seals by placing a strong light inside the cabinet at night and look for seal leak areas and fix them to reduce frost.

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 13:51   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Great reply Pilot, spot on. Just a couple of things to add.... Scraping frost from the Ozefridge eutectic plate is fine as they are stainless steel but for anyone with an aluminium or other soft material plate system, be careful not to puncture it.
Best to only use a plastic scraper or as suggested wash off frost.

As earlier said, excessive frost restricts cooling (heat absorption) and reduces efficiency. This frost is formed from moisture extracted from the air so any excessive air traffic will greatly increase frost build up. Check lid / door seals by placing a strong light inside the cabinet at night and look for seal leak areas and fix them to reduce frost.

Thanks Pete and Pilot.
The efficiency had gone down plus it was restricting getting the larger storage baskets out that are down deep

So last night prior to my post, I emptied freezer and used a heat gun to melt off the 1" thick ice being careful not to go near the insulation. Worked like a charm and very quickly, so everything stayed frozen.

I think my problem is the divider between the outboard freezer compartment and the fridge.
If you remember, I wanted the backup option of a removable divider in case one compressor unit went down and I could share the working one.

The girls are still getting used to top loading efficiency, so the fridge side is seeing a lot of daylight and I think maybe it is frosting up the freezer side?

I will look at trying to improve the seal on the divider on next clean out and do the light test on hatch.

I just love the units and their efficiency .
Thanks for a great product[emoji106]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 14:04   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you are only defrosting every other month, you don’t have a problem I don’t think.
We got spoiled with frost free house refrigerators and don’t remember the old days I think, I have to defrost mine every month or so or the ice gets real thick.
Sounds crazy, but ice is an excellent insulator, ask any Eskimo
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 19:18   #35
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you are only defrosting every other month, you don’t have a problem I don’t think.
Yes, this was our first 2.5 months on board and I love the system, but just getting to know it.
I did not put drains in as my steel bilges are dry under it and not very accessible

I like your monthly schedule as it keeps the stuff on the bottom rotated and with the heat gun, it was a 10 minute job last night with no scraping.

I did have to hold my girlfriend by her feet to swamp out the water though..
But strangely enough, she seemed to enjoy it![emoji7]
It really is more fun in the Philippines!
Old 22-01-2019, 22:43   #36

Boat: Island Packet 40

There is a question regarding the design of the water cooling of the condenser in one of the earlier posts which no one has appeared to answer.

Water cooled condensers used on boat refrigeration and air conditioning generally tend to be of the tube in tube type where the water flows through the inner tube and the refrigerant flows through the annulus between the inner and the outer tube. This means that you have often corrosive sea water separated by a fairly thin wall of copper from the refrigerant circuit with poor results in the event of a leak.

It appears that Ozefridge uses what's known as a fin and tube condenser whereby a tube passes back and forth through a set of parallel metal fins. The fins increase the heat transfer area of the tube. Ozefridge appears to use two tubes passing through the fins, one for the refrigerant to waste the heat and the second to absorb the heat from the fin and transfer it to the cooling fluid (which they recommend be fresh water for longevity purposes) So, even if the cooling water tube was to corrode through the water cannot get into the refrigerant circuit.

Pretty cool idea, allows a duel cooling system without in any way detracting from either. I'm beginning to suspect there's a thinker in that outfit somewhere.

I'm getting to be a bit long in the tooth for messing about with young women but I would love to meet one who enjoys being held upside down by the ankles whilst she defrosts a boat freezer.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 23:27   #37

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Raymond, the ozefridge system doesn’t use salt water at all. It uses fresh water. There is not the corrosion issues that some of the other systems have...
Old 23-01-2019, 12:27   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
There is a question regarding the design of the water cooling of the condenser in one of the earlier posts which no one has appeared to answer.

Water cooled condensers used on boat refrigeration and air conditioning generally tend to be of the tube in tube type where the water flows through the inner tube and the refrigerant flows through the annulus between the inner and the outer tube. This means that you have often corrosive sea water separated by a fairly thin wall of copper from the refrigerant circuit with poor results in the event of a leak. Agree with this 100% Raymond. We don't believe any DC powered refrigeration system should have any contact with raw water as the likelihood of electronic corrosion (Electrolysis) is high plus the constant maintenance involved. Our water cooled AW480 model has an air cooled condenser with fresh water re-cycling through a separate coil to assist automatically as needed.

It appears that Ozefridge uses what's known as a fin and tube condenser whereby a tube passes back and forth through a set of parallel metal fins. The fins increase the heat transfer area of the tube. Ozefridge appears to use two tubes passing through the fins, one for the refrigerant to waste the heat and the second to absorb the heat from the fin and transfer it to the cooling fluid (which they recommend be fresh water for longevity purposes) So, even if the cooling water tube was to corrode through the water cannot get into the refrigerant circuit.You have described our unique and simple air / water cooled condenser perfectly. Unlike other condensers it has no refrigerant galleries with direct contact to water and is also temperature controlled to maintain optimum condensing temperature. This avoids over and under condensing, real benefits as these marine systems are often subject to vastly varying conditions.

Pretty cool idea, allows a duel cooling system without in any way detracting from either. I'm beginning to suspect there's a thinker in that outfit somewhere Thanks Raymond, yes we have addressed many issues that had dogged this industry specially the issues of reliability, customer support and power efficiency, a read of earlier posts in this thread confirms that, and we will keep on improving our products and service. Feedback and ideas from our users helps greatly and is much appreciated.

I'm getting to be a bit long in the tooth for messing about with young women but I would love to meet one who enjoys being held upside down by the ankles whilst she defrosts a boat freezer. Yes, and although my dear asawa is quite petite I think any attempt to up end her into the freezer is likely to see me prostrate on the deck!
Old 23-01-2019, 15:40   #39
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Hi Pete , had not looked at your Web site since buying the units 2 years ago.
Great improvement for refrigeration dummies like me.

Wish I had seen your holding unit before buying an isotherm drawer fridge/freezer for pilothouse

Just one suggestion for the Videos.
Develop some to help customers to troubleshoot electrical issues using multi meter with AC/DC amp meter.

It would be a great help for customers and save you time individually going thru the same thing over and over again, as I know you do.

Boats are a great equalizer of dirty jobs.
While I do the toilets
Zaida is the kind of girl that volunteers to squirm under the main engine sump to "properly" clean out the bilge.

I don't ask, she volunteers and I just count my blessings!

But she can turn into a bearcat if I take advantage[emoji35]
Click image for larger version

Name:	6DSC_0047.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	184370
Old 25-01-2019, 16:40   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hi Pete , had not looked at your Web site since buying the units 2 years ago.
Great improvement for refrigeration dummies like me.

Wish I had seen your holding unit before buying an isotherm drawer fridge/freezer for pilothouse

Just one suggestion for the Videos.
Develop some to help customers to troubleshoot electrical issues using multi meter with AC/DC amp meter.

It would be a great help for customers and save you time individually going thru the same thing over and over again, as I know you do.

Boats are a great equalizer of dirty jobs.
While I do the toilets
Zaida is the kind of girl that volunteers to squirm under the main engine sump to "properly" clean out the bilge.

I don't ask, she volunteers and I just count my blessings!

But she can turn into a bearcat if I take advantage[emoji35]
Attachment 184370
Cheers mate. Yes our new eutectic portable fridge freezer is about to be released generally to the public. We had originally aimed it at government, the mining industry and others in remote high temp areas, but there has been a lot of interest from others including the marine sector specially recreational fishers who can use in their boot then onto their ute / suv.

Only needs one cycle per day in most conditions although two per day at this time with ambient here mostly over 40C. (46C here yesterday, so a bit cosy!)
New Holdover Fridge Freezer | Ozefridge

We will have several videos soon as we are getting certified testing done and need to properly explain phase change (Eutectic) refrigeration as it appears to be very misunderstood! Good to see you are enjoying the Phils.

Cheers OzePete
Old 08-12-2019, 22:24   #41

i installed my ozefridge about 8 years ago and i have to say the level and quality of support offered by Peter and Louie has been simply wonderful and exceptional. My unit replaced an American made unit that was only a few years of at the time in my Hunter 42, but I could not get the US unit working well. The Ozefridge unit is performing brilliantly still and I expect it will for many years to come- could not possibly recommend them and their product highly enough.
eianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:40   #42
CF Adviser

That's encouraging, I've had my 2 Ozefridge units working for only 2 years now and delighted with their performance
Old 08-11-2023, 02:22   #43

Boat: catalina c400

Sounds great. Mine draws 7.6 amps and used about 100 amps per day. I have to run .my generator to fill batteries
leegordoncooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 12:13   #44

Boat: catalina c400

I have the Aw480 operating in the tropics. It is using 87 t0 100 amps per 24 hrs at 7.8 amps while running. I have had to buy an engel as my 500 watts of solar panels could not keep up to the oze fridge demand. Very disappointed
leegordoncooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2023, 12:22   #45

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegordoncooper View Post
I have the Aw480 operating in the tropics. It is using 87 t0 100 amps per 24 hrs at 7.8 amps while running. I have had to buy an engel as my 500 watts of solar panels could not keep up to the oze fridge demand. Very disappointed
How well a unit works has more to do with how the box is build and insulated than anything else. It sounds like your box isn't insulated well.

Tags
reviews