Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2016, 11:31   #1

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50
Is this as easy as I think it is?

I had my boat hydraulically delivered to my home for a refit. Once the boat was level using a gauge and also walking on the deck, we proceeded to unload and block the boat. Somehow, during that time the boat developed a list to starboard, and now has a list of around 3 to 4 degrees. This did not get caught until the hauler left when I climbed back aboard. It is noticeable when walking on the decks and below, and I find it just annoying to say the least.

Everything is chained, with three poppits on each side, and one each fore and aft if this makes any difference. All stands are located on bulkheads and the hull is 3/4' thick, so I do not have any worries about oil-canning the hull during the process.

I am thinking that all I need to do is loosen the high side a turn or so, and crank on the low side the same amount, and repeat side to side, till all is back to level. Is it really that easy??
Old 18-11-2016, 11:45   #2

Re: Is this as easy as I think it is??

I don't see why not. Why did it change? Are the stands on the low side sinking in?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 11:50   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I am not sure why it changed, nothing is sinking, nor have the poppit locations shifted in any way. I think he may have accidentally moved the boat to one side with the hydraulic arms while unloading..
Old 18-11-2016, 12:18   #4

If these are jack stands, then you should be able to do the following:

1) Lower the high side
-> count the revolutions.
-> Make sure to do forward and aft evenly.

2) raise the low side
-> count the revolutions.
-> Make sure to do forward and aft evenly.

3) when done make sure all four sides are tight.

We sleep on the boat when it's on the hard. No matter how much you try, once the weight is off the lift (trailer or travel lift) it's never perfect. Our berth is athwart ship, so having feet lower than the head all night is annoying.

We do this every time we haul and block the boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 12:39   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. I too would just ever so slightly ease the low side and crank in the high side by the same amount.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 09:16   #6

Short answer "No"

Be careful, use common sense (really it should be called uncommon sense) don't be in a hurry, and don't text and drive. Stay focused - really... and follow the good advice replied above.

Don't be casual about this - someone else may make it look easy. That doesn't mean it is.

There's a lot at stake here (pun?) think it through, then act.
Brooderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 09:28   #7
Marine Service Provider

Just loosen the high side and crank the low side up.

I used tubing with water to level my 20,000 lb boat occasionally when building her.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 09:46   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
I had my boat hydraulically delivered to my home for a refit. Once the boat was level using a gauge and also walking on the deck, we proceeded to unload and block the boat. Somehow, during that time the boat developed a list to starboard, and now has a list of around 3 to 4 degrees. This did not get caught until the hauler left when I climbed back aboard. It is noticeable when walking on the decks and below, and I find it just annoying to say the least.

Everything is chained, with three poppits on each side, and one each fore and aft if this makes any difference. All stands are located on bulkheads and the hull is 3/4' thick, so I do not have any worries about oil-canning the hull during the process.

I am thinking that all I need to do is loosen the high side a turn or so, and crank on the low side the same amount, and repeat side to side, till all is back to level. Is it really that easy??
Sounds like you have got it. Just don't get hasty do it as a RCH at a time. A few more trips around the boat cost nothing. If it gets away from you, you are in deep ****.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 09:50   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sounds like you have got it. Just don't get hasty do it as a RCH at a time. A few more trips around the boat cost nothing. If it gets away from you, you are in deep ****.
Haven't heard that particular unit of measurement in some time!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 09:57   #10

You only need to alter the height of one side to level the boat. You can either lift the low side by tightening the jack screw (harder to do) or lower the high side by backing off the jacking screw. Your choice. Alter the one side until you get the level you desire. As always, be sure the opposing jacks are chained to each other to prevent the jacks kicking out. Good luck.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 09:58   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Haven't heard that particular unit of measurement in some time!
I saves saying SAE or metric.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 10:01   #12

If you have a keel on blocks, then as you were initially intending would be necessary to level off.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 11:16   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Personally, if it were my boat, I'd set 5 or 6 six new stands on both sides with some large pads (even though I am confident the C50 hull is stout) and just slowly crank them up while uncranking the low side. It is crucial that the ground below the stands AND KEEL is solid. I saw a boat once that had stands and keel blocks put on soft soil and it had a good deal of damage. How is the support under the keel? If that is weak, time to get her lifted back up IMO.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 11:53   #14

Quote: "You only need to alter the height of one side to level the boat..."

Uhm... Maybe not! The TOTAL weight of the boat SHOULD be taken by blocking under the keel, and that blocking should be CAREFULLY disposed to take the weight of the boat distributed equally on each block. The poppets are ONLY there to hold the boat upright, and excessive weight on their pads, such as that generated by letting the poppets carry the weight of the boat, is apt to damage the hull.

IF your boat's weight is taken by keel blocks, leveling the boat is a piecacake and done as described in other posts.

If your boat is NOT set on keel blocks, maybe you'd better rethink, and revise, the entire arrangement!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 13:04   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

I think three stands on each side of a 50' boat is two few. I'd want to have at least 4, perhaps even 5. I'd certainly want more than 3 each side while I was correcting her lean.

I would also not do more than one turn on one side before adjusting the other side. If they get even near loose they give up all their stability which they derive from pressure between hull and ground. As someone noted, it's just a few more trips around the boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote