Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2010, 11:58   #1
Registered User
 
Butler's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Boat: Pearson 281
Posts: 678
Images: 18
I Have to Crow About it !

Yahoo! We have gotten all the big stuff done!!

It all started with a blown aft whisker stay... (see our article in the Floatsum & Jetsum section of March 2010 issue of Lats and Atts) and the subsequent discovery of a big split in the boomkin when we decided to step into high gear on all the major problems so we could head south this year.

New standing rigging DYI with Norsemans
New aft whisker stays DYI
New Boomkin.. DYI : 4 layers clear Douglas fir laminated with Titebond 3 sealed with Smiths and painted with Proline enamel.
Refurbed bow-sprit DYI minor rot excised and sealed again painted with ProlineDYI
Deck completely re-done (paid for this.. worth every penny) with all new ply in the foredeck. Epoxy sealed, faired primed and then painted with white Proline 2 part Poly and 20 grit sand "carpet" for non-skid.

Not a big deal for the old hands here but for someone who is pretty new to boat repair and doing all this for the first time very big deal. Feels good to have gotten so much much closer top getting away.

Thanks for induldging me this moment!!
__________________

__________________
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 12:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,572
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
... Not a big deal for the old hands here but for someone who is pretty new to boat repair and doing all this for the first time very big deal. Feels good to have gotten so much much closer top getting away.

Thanks for induldging me this moment!!
I hate to always take a negative position; but I think you're absolutely wrong!
Clearing that punch list seems like a very big deal, to me.
CONGRATULATIONS!

From where, to where (south) are you heading?
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 12:40   #3
Registered User
 
Butler's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Boat: Pearson 281
Posts: 678
Images: 18
Thanks Gord... comming from a salt like you that means a lot!
With luck, going through the Canal and up into the Eastern Caribbean.

Between now and December we have some work to do on accomodations, a bit of mechanical work like moving the fuel tank from directly over the packing gland and shaft log so we can actually access those parts (!!) a bit of electrical installation and manual pump installation for clearing the bildges.
The completion of the other things has been pretty dang inspiring!
__________________
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 12:56   #4
Registered User
 
James S's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Posts: 5,816
Images: 139
Yeah...I'm with Gord on this....thats a hell of a lot of work and you should be commended.
Crow all you want...you deserve it Butler.
__________________
James
S/V Arctic Lady
I love my boat, I can't afford not to!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 13:00   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
DIY boomkin? Not bad my man.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 13:09   #6
Registered User
 
RiverRat's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Posts: 164
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Yahoo! We have gotten all the big stuff done!!

It all started with a blown aft whisker stay... (see our article in the Floatsum & Jetsum section of March 2010 issue of Lats and Atts) and the subsequent discovery of a big split in the boomkin when we decided to step into high gear on all the major problems so we could head south this year.

New standing rigging DYI with Norsemans
New aft whisker stays DYI
New Boomkin.. DYI : 4 layers clear Douglas fir laminated with Titebond 3 sealed with Smiths and painted with Proline enamel.
Refurbed bow-sprit DYI minor rot excised and sealed again painted with ProlineDYI
Deck completely re-done (paid for this.. worth every penny) with all new ply in the foredeck. Epoxy sealed, faired primed and then painted with white Proline 2 part Poly and 20 grit sand "carpet" for non-skid.

Not a big deal for the old hands here but for someone who is pretty new to boat repair and doing all this for the first time very big deal. Feels good to have gotten so much much closer top getting away.

Thanks for induldging me this moment!!
I'm impressed. I'd be even more impressed if I knew what any of that stuff was! hahahaha Sounds like a lot of work. You should be proud of yourself.
__________________
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 13:32   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Blue Stocking's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St. Georges, Bda
Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Posts: 4,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Yeah...I'm with Gord on this....thats a hell of a lot of work and you should be commended.
Crow all you want...you deserve it Butler.

I'm jumping on with James and Gord. No small accomplishment there.
Be proud, my man.
__________________
so many projects--so little time !!
Blue Stocking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 13:58   #8
Registered User
 
Butler's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Boat: Pearson 281
Posts: 678
Images: 18
Thanks everyone for the props, much appreciated!

Oh , I left out that the new deck was laid up with a single layer of biaxial cloth before being faired and finished.
__________________
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 14:42   #9
Registered User
 
SabreKai's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada on Lake Ontario
Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Posts: 1,287
Images: 5
Yeh, I agree, you've done a hell of a lot of work. Nicely done Sir!


Sabre
__________________

__________________
SabreKai
SV Sabre Dance, Roberts Offshore 38
http://sabredancing.wordpress.com/
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.