Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 19:25   #1

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
How To Make Your Own Watermaker Instructions

After much searching online I finally found this enjoy http://www.westward-ii.com/PDF's/How...watermaker.pdf
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 18:31   #2

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Get RO Membranes here for a good price Seawater RO Membranes Elements for Seawater Desalination WaterAnywhere RO Seawater Membranes
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:14   #3

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: How To Make Your Own Watermaker Instructions

so has anyone done this? If so how did it turn out?
Funny how when I search on the site I don't find what I'm looking for but when I do a google search it brings me right to things I'm looking for and can't find through a search on the forum.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 19:43   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
so has anyone done this? If so how did it turn out?
Funny how when I search on the site I don't find what I'm looking for but when I do a google search it brings me right to things I'm looking for and can't find through a search on the forum.
Try the Google Custom Search on the drop down "Search" menu, if you have not already done that. I find it much better method to find what I want to know from within the forum's archives.

Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:58   #5

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Try the Google Custom Search on the drop down "Search" menu, if you have not already done that. I find it much better method to find what I want to know from within the forum's archives.

Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you.
Thank you! I've not doen that, I thought it would do a search of the web and not the site, this is great to know!!!
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:48   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

The most important thing in building your own water maker is to sort through what I like to call the Cruise Rumor BS that will lead you down the wrong path. I see it all the time, people mis-matching pump flow with membrane surface area or mis-matching the power requirements of their Hp pump and motor. Buying fresh water vs sea water rated fittings, pumps, etc. Make these mistakes up front to save money and most of the savings you thought you had will be washed away when you replace or repair what broke and didn't work.

So...now, how do you get trust worth advise on the topic...easy....ask a guy that builds water makers for a LIVING!

Here, first download a copy of our standard 20 Gallon per hour water maker manual: www.cruiserowaterandpower.com/uploads/sm20.pdf
Then if you are serious about building your own, read every page, study every diagram and photo BEFORE you start ordering parts off ebay and online. Actually take the time to understand what's going on, why things are plumbed and set-up the way they are etc. If you just want a Step A, B, C non-thinking plug and play project, then building your own isn't for you and will end up costing you more in the end. Trust me I've seen it and can give you email address to a dozen guys that have told me of their disasters to warn you off. But if you are willing to learn what's going on, it's a good DIY project.

All the time I talk to folks with a 90% done water maker by the time they find out it won't work and to fix the problem will drive their costs over what they could have bought a complete ready to do water maker with a full 3yr warranty. Those are usually bummer type of phone calls and email exchanges. So GET THE INFO FIRST and get some advice FIRST before you start buying parts. Don't listen to your dock buddy or anonomys chat room guy who has never built or operated a water maker, but "has a buddy that did once"...ha ha ha

I'm always available to help, so just ping me.

Rich@CruiseROWater.com
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker