Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2017, 10:37   #1

Boat: Tartan 34C
Gelocoating Decks

I am in the process of recoring my decks and have a main question that I think I know the answer to but wondering if anyone has the experience to chime in so that I can make a more informed decision.

So, the whole time since I began this project, my plan was to spray the decks with gelcoat mainly because it just lasts longer and looks better instead of brush on paint. I planned on doing this on my yard, outdoors, without a cover...Of course, on a non-windy morning...

However, I think this may just be a bad idea with dust/bugs/etc...So now, I am going back on my thought process and thinking paint may just have to be the way to go...Knowing this, I would like some thoughts/ideas from real world experience on anyone who has gelcoated decks outside. I think I know my answer, but I figured I just would like to read some advice from those who have had the experience...

Thanks in advance!
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:08   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Gelocoating Decks

Absolutely, gelcoat it!

If you get dust, bugs, etc in the gelcoat you are going to wet sand and polish it off. If you get the same in your final coat of paint, not much you can do but sand it out and paint again. Gelcoat is much more forgiving for an outdoor shoot, IMHO.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:33   #3

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Absolutely, gelcoat it!

If you get dust, bugs, etc in the gelcoat you are going to wet sand and polish it off. If you get the same in your final coat of paint, not much you can do but sand it out and paint again. Gelcoat is much more forgiving for an outdoor shoot, IMHO.
Minaret, thank for the response...btw, are you like the only advocate for gelcoating around here?

I've been able to learn quite a bit from your posts as well as the guy from the "boat works today" youtube videos.
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:58   #4

Boat: 45 Leopard- Had a 42 Leopard- Sunk by Irma

I agree, gelcoat is much more forgiving. A slip neighbor of mine was a master of it. He'd roll gelcoat with a epoxy type roller, getting a mild orange peel finish, hit the peaks lightly with sandpaper, roll a second and sometimes a third coat using a finishing roller, thereby mostly filling in the orange peel. then sand and polish. they always came out almost perfect and were repairable for later dings.
LLizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 14:53   #5

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

I would go with the gelcoat too. I wouldn't worry about dust or bugs so much anyway, as you're either going to be covering the gelcoat with anti-skid mold pattern material, mylar film, or PVA as a during agent - the only time you'd be exposed is in the very short time that the freshly applied gelcoat is uncovered/uncoated.

Sent from mTalk

Tags
deck