Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 17:08   #31

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Fastners: Best drive type?

We switched from large slotted on our headsail tracks to socket, Allen. They are great and don't strip out. We used socket drive for our deck hardware as well. Allen drives are easy to come by, we have a nice set of long Allen drives to get inside clutches and the like. I will probably use torx for the plate that holds the chartplotter on the pedestal. Not many people have that type of drive so a little more theft resistant.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 17:36   #32

torx head are becoming very prevalent around here, that and socket head "allan" if you go to those two you can at least use torx drivers on socket head and vice versa
ironvalleyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 21:19   #33

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
And therein lies the rub.

Great link. Thanks deblen, I've bookmarked it.
Aha-the truth revealed!! Phillips were designed to cam out!
That is why Canadian drywall screws are about the only screw in Can. that are Phillips.

If Ford & Robertson had made a deal way back,we wouldn't be having this discussion.
The dreaded slut(sp?)head would have died a quick death & Flips would never have been invented.
Allen is OK for thick head machine screws/bolts in tight places,but,like torx,you need a bucket full of bits to cover the range of sizes.

Try driving & removing a few dozen 3 1/2" or 4" #10 deck screws with a battery impact driver-without pilot holes.
Then tell me what drive works the best
http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_odkw=...crews&_sacat=0

Cheers/ Len
Old 01-05-2017, 21:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post

Try driving & removing a few dozen 3 1/2" or 4" #10 deck screws with a battery impact driver-without pilot holes.
Then tell me what drive works the best

Cheers/ Len
take a look at grk structural fasteners, tork drive gets my vote for screw heads
driver bits last about 2000+screws before you get any hint of slipping
ironvalleyfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 22:52   #35

Boat: Artella 22

Never use a Phillips bit on a Pozidrive screw and never use a Pozidrive bit on a Phillips screw.
Bjorn_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 23:26   #36

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

It all depends on the application, but generally I like Robertson. They have only recently become easy to find in Australia, with Bunnings now even stocking 316 stainless Robertsons. You have to ask for square drive deck screws if you ask the staff.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 23:53   #37

Boat: Kaufman 47

I have used roberston screws before and didn't like them. They were stainless deck screws about 3" and drilling into dock boards they would get warm going in then strip out. New bits didn't help. We had to slow down, which defeated getting them over anything else. It was a Milwaukee drill that was job specific for that application. I don't remember the model. Also, I wasn't an amateur at redoing docks at my parents marina, it was a regular thing after hurricanes unfortunately.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:37   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The only problem with Phillips or Frearson is tools: -using the wrong size, -using worn out driver tips, unless it's something you are going to take in and out many times...
You summed it up nicely. I'll bet worn out tips are often the result of over torqueing.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:12   #39

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

No matter your choice, you will be thankful if you have a screw extractor hole saw in your tool kit. Google Rockler screw extractor for an explanation. After pulling out the fastener, and it's supporting substrate, tap an epoxy coated Birch dowel into the hole to begin anew.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:10   #40

Before coming to a decision, consider why all the slotted s few alternatives have come into use. Is it ease of insertion by machine?

Now consider your requirements. Is the main criterion ease of insertion by machine? How much do you consider getting them out again? How often is a screwhead bunged up with hunger, or worse, paint? Look at traditional boatbuilders - here in the UK they all prefer slots for that very reason and by and large would never use anything but slotted in a wooden build.

To get the right answer you must first seek the right question and to my mind getting them out is more important than getting them in. The working conditions will be worse and the urgency likely greater, your electric tools unavailable or at least the power to use them.
olivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:45   #41

Boat: C&C 37/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Phillips are evil, particularly in stainless. They were designed for automation, and to cam out when a specified torque was reached. ...

I'm a big fan of Robertson, and while I have not checked yet I suspect that availability might be limited across various fastener types in stainless. Downside is that you better have the right Robertson bit/driver or you're screwed, or not screwed, or not unscrewed, as the case may be. You can get a Phillips head screwdriver anywhere.
I'm also a big fan of Robertson - I only use Phillips in places where they show as I feel that are a bit nicer aesthetically...

A company called "Albany County Fasteners" has everything in stainless - at least 308. Check out their website:

Albany County Fasteners | Bolts, Screws, Nuts, Rivets, Hardware & More

They also have a great service through eBay - I find the selection and quality pretty good.
Tasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 13:33   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasso View Post
I'm also a big fan of Robertson - I only use Phillips in places where they show as I feel that are a bit nicer aesthetically...

A company called "Albany County Fasteners" has everything in stainless - at least 308. Check out their website:

Albany County Fasteners | Bolts, Screws, Nuts, Rivets, Hardware & More

They also have a great service through eBay - I find the selection and quality pretty good.
I would assume they only deal with, I need 500 or more of an item? Enough to weigh them out.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 13:51   #43

Boat: C&C 37/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I would assume they only deal with, I need 500 or more of an item? Enough to weigh them out.
I've only dealt with them on eBay - I think you can get lots of 25 for most items there with free shipping. As I say of you want 316 you may need to go to Fastenal or something - but check these guys out. Shipping is super fast..
Tasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 14:11   #44

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Canadian source for 18-8 SS Robertson head:
Prices are retail & in C$. Multiply by .75 for $US.

2017 Stright-MacKay Ltd. Catalogue
Old 02-05-2017, 14:13   #45

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Only touch a screw driver if i'm desparate. Did over 4,000 screws with a screw driver building our Westsail years ago and came down with screw driver arm. Pain in my wrist and and elbow from so many screws that hasn't really gone away after 40 years. Discovered electric screw guns and all was right with the world. The corded ones had plenty of power but the rats nest of tangled cords were a pain. Bought a Milwaukee 12v driver and it was love at first screw. RPM's are controllable so it's easy to start slower and pull the trigger further for more speed when the screw is more stable. Will drive #14 screws and battery charge lasts longer than me. Milwaukee 2401-22 M12 12V Cordless Lithium-Ion Sub-Compact Screwdriver Kit with 2 Batteries

Also have one of Milwaukee's impact drivers but the RPM is hard to control and often end up over driving and/or stripping out the puka with it. Great tool for removing fasteners but not for driving scews for me.
I have that duo. They have survived two large house renovations and were the primary weapons for stripping my deck during my refit. I don't have the problem you mention with the impact driver...got very good at easing off RPM's as fasteners started to turn to keep the bit from jumping out.

I bought the Milwaukee 12v polisher kit so now I have two chargers and one of the extended batteries to go along with the three standard ones. I'm loaded for bear when it comes to putting those 3-400 odd fasteners back.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote