Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2017, 10:33   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: endurance 35 refit

Hi newhaul... the photos look suspiciously like June 8 owned by a Swiss lady and her Austrian partner back in the early 80's. if it is that vessel it is not a factory built ferro boat but was built by the couple in North Vancouver and rigged and finished in Reed Point marina, Burnaby, BC.
The construction was first class, detail finishing on the interior was really marvelous. The boat survived the Cabo hurricane in the 80's that put Metussiere's boat on the beach. The owner spent a month in the hospital from a broken leg but he and his partner sailed up to San Francisco after that experience with their toddler son, Christopher, who was born aboard in Hawaii. They have a great tale and I hope their vessel has lived on... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 11:40   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hi newhaul... the photos look suspiciously like June 8 owned by a Swiss lady and her Austrian partner back in the early 80's. if it is that vessel it is not a factory built ferro boat but was built by the couple in North Vancouver and rigged and finished in Reed Point marina, Burnaby, BC.
The construction was first class, detail finishing on the interior was really marvelous. The boat survived the Cabo hurricane in the 80's that put Metussiere's boat on the beach. The owner spent a month in the hospital from a broken leg but he and his partner sailed up to San Francisco after that experience with their toddler son, Christopher, who was born aboard in Hawaii. They have a great tale and I hope their vessel has lived on... Phil
Phil what did they name her this one is named SV Destiny
Old 20-04-2017, 22:59   #18

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

A few ferro boats down this way were glassed. I don't think its a bad thing, and certainly the boats I am thinking of were tidy and well built examples that never seemed to have any big hull issues.

The problems would be getting it to stick. Ferro is notible for the way the alkaline salts build up under paint and epoxy (and fibreglass) this tends to blow it off and longterm adhesion underwater is difficult, and one fibreglassed ferro boat I know had to repair the odd loose glass sections.

From a surveying point of view it makes it hard to see what's happening under the glass. I suppose the worst case would be a rusting armature and cracking hull. But then again the glass coating would also help prevent this happening, and strengthen it. If the underlying cement was too bad I can't imagine a layer of glass would hide anything nasty long term, rust would eventually bleed through, and adhesion would be poor.

Hopefully it is glassed with epoxy not polyester, though its also remotely possible the boat was built entirely from polyester based ferrolite or had the glassfibre layed into the surface of the wet concrete. They trialed a few weird things like that in the 70's.
Old 21-04-2017, 00:02   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
A few ferro boats down this way were glassed. I don't think its a bad thing, and certainly the boats I am thinking of were tidy and well built examples that never seemed to have any big hull issues.

The problems would be getting it to stick. Ferro is notible for the way the alkaline salts build up under paint and epoxy (and fibreglass) this tends to blow it off and longterm adhesion underwater is difficult, and one fibreglassed ferro boat I know had to repair the odd loose glass sections.

From a surveying point of view it makes it hard to see what's happening under the glass. I suppose the worst case would be a rusting armature and cracking hull. But then again the glass coating would also help prevent this happening, and strengthen it. If the underlying cement was too bad I can't imagine a layer of glass would hide anything nasty long term, rust would eventually bleed through, and adhesion would be poor.

Hopefully it is glassed with epoxy not polyester, though its also remotely possible the boat was built entirely from polyester based ferrolite or had the glassfibre layed into the surface of the wet concrete. They trialed a few weird things like that in the 70's.
This glass work is actually about an inch thick with mat and 24oz roving on the inside of the boat that is what threw me off.
Old 21-04-2017, 03:10   #20

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Ha, just jackhammer the concrete off and you'd have a pretty solid grp boat! Very unusual! Is it continuous through the whole interior as an original installation with the interior joinery bonded to it?
Old 21-04-2017, 03:25   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
This glass work is actually about an inch thick with mat and 24oz roving on the inside of the boat that is what threw me off.
Speculating based on having worked with cement / concrete and this is from memory so i may have some figures wrong. Cement based products are strong in compression and weak in tension which is why reinforced concrete has steel where the structure is likely to have tension (steel has about 140 times the tensile strength of concrete). The closer to the surface that the reo is the more effective but it still needs to be protected from the effects of water to avoid rusting with the resulting weakening and pressures caused by changed volumes caused by rusting.

The theory behind using mat on the surface of the wet (uncured) cement was to integrate high tensile strength at the location where there would potential be the highest level of tension (with a high weight to strength ration). As you said the thickness of the FG throws you off and as SP said bonding is an issue. I guess that if the builder had integrated mat onto the inner surface then the bonding may have been (intended) to be more effective and the inch FG may be assisting in tension. I wonder if the builder was tempted to reduce the coverage of the render on the inside counting on the FG to provide protection to the wire. In theory that sounds like it could work but my concern would be if there was damage to the ferro-cement hull what the long term effects would be.

Tags
refit