Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2010, 06:25   #1

Boat: 37' Northern Ketch
Eco Tuff Rubberized Non-Skid Paint . . .

I need some Comments/Advice...

Hi,

Anybody had any experience with this product?

Rubberized Non Skid Boat & Marine Coating

We're looking at alternatives for our fiberglass deck. At the moment it's down to 3 choices:

1. Treadmaster
2. Eco-Tuff
3. Interlux Brightside w/additives

Can't find much info on this Eco Tuff product. Seeking durability info. And would like to converse with someone who is using this product on their boat now.

Thanks,
Ken
svpolaris@yahoo.com
svpolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 09:31   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Ken,

I received some samples of Eco-tuff as well as some other rubberized paints and like them. There are some other companies that offer the same thing (and it may actually all be the same...looks it to me.)

Durabak Company; Truck Bed, Marine, Boat Ship Industrial & Workplace Non-Skid Coatings.
Ultra TUFF Marine - Home Page
Patio Deck Paint - Swimming pool paint and deck coatings

There is also Kiwigrip, similar, but not rubbery - just super grippy:
Anti-skid Boat Decks from Pachena LLC - KiwiGrip anti-slip deck coating

Some other things that are in the vein of Treadmaster:
LONSEAL Flooring :: Ph 800.832.7111 :: Lonseal leads the vinyl surfacing industry with innovative and exciting resilient flooring.
SeaDek Marine Products

Paint-on style products:
Liquid Plastics, Ltd.
ITW American Safety Technologies - Anti-Slip Floor Coatings 1-800-631-7841

I did a LOT of research and flat out rejected treadmaster because 1) it's too damned expensive, 2) we had it on our boat and it HURTS to work on.

Of all the above choices, we selected none. We wound up using Glidden Porch and Patio Polyurethane paint ($20 gal and it is essentially the same as Brightsides) and $2 bags of non-skid aggregate. It was cheap, very easy, is proving to be quite durable, and doesn't hurt my feels and budget if it gets a chip or scratch. I'll repaint it in a few more years.

Before:

After:

We primed using a high-build epoxy from Blue Water Paints, but that's only because the maniac previous owner who installed the Treadmaster took a 36grit grinder wheel to the deck and left gouges everywhere.

FWIW, I painted a few areas with the Glidden paint and it came out to be as glossy as both Interlux Brightsides and Petit's Easypoxy; after a year and a half, it's retaining gloss better than both and doesn't mildew like the others. We got it at Home Depot and it can be mixed to any color you want. I wish I'd've painted my mast using it!

Good luck!
Aaron

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 12:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Aaron:
Your paint job looks good.
Do you wish you’d used a lighter shade of the Porch and Patio Poly’ paint on your decks (hot on feet)?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 12:40   #4

Gord,

We're really pleased with the color we chose. The photo I posted above makes it seem quite dark, but it was taken in the evening of an overcast day. As the following photo shows, it's fairly light, but just dark enough to cut some of the glare.

We're very pleased with the paint. It is holding up better than the "marine" paints that cost $90/gal. I've just been trying to find a link and have found Home Depot quit carrying the paint due to VOC content, however it is still available from Milo: Local Shopping, and likely from smaller Glidden dealers, or Glidden direct.

This is the stuff:

Glidden Porch and Floor 1-Gallon Oil-Gloss Interior and Exterior Paint (note: this is not the color we used, just an example of the paint and where you can get it.)

Cheers,
Aaron

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Old 20-10-2010, 09:37   #5

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We used the same product on our deck, I am happy with the results as well. And at $20 per gallon cant be beat...
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 13:08   #6

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
Aaron - did you paint all of the topside with that paint or just the non-skid? even if you only did the non skid id be curios about you opinion of that paint for general topsides?

Ben
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 14:58   #7

Ben,

We used the Glidden for non-skid on the deck, though there are two panels in the cockpit painted using it without aggregate. It leveled and glossed as well as Easypoxy, and after more than a year, is holding its gloss better and proving more scuff resistant. It goes on just as well as Brightsides, has equivalent coverage, and would likely make a great topside paint. It is very abrasion resistant for a one-part, certainly as much as "marine" paints, and really is a great paint!

Like I said, I wish we'd've used it for the mast and trim. The Blue Water Paints Alkyd Enamel we chose is proving to have poor abrasion resistance and gloss retention, and did not level well in painting, no mater how it was thinned. We just tell people we have brush-textured paint

~Aaron

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Old 25-10-2010, 07:36   #8

cool, i think im gonna give this stuff a go all over the outside, did you use any sort of primer or just a good scuffin?...
Old 25-10-2010, 11:53   #9

Hey Ben,

We used a high-build epoxy primer under the paint, but to help smooth the gouges left by a previous owner's angle-grinding attempt to remove the molded-in non-skid. It would probably be wise to follow the rules that Interlux sets for Brightsides and use a primer, but if your topsides are in pretty good shape and of an even color, I bet a good scuffing and cleaning will be enough.

Some folks love to make their topsides reflective and perfect, so if you want to get close to that, primer is probably best. I think the paint will adhere either way though, as long as it's sanded and stuff.

~Aaron

W32 #482 Asia Marie

Old 25-10-2010, 12:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post

Some folks love to make their topsides reflective and perfect, so if you want to get close to that, primer is probably best. I think the paint will adhere either way though, as long as it's sanded and stuff.

~Aaron
that was my intention, but then i had that paradigm shift a few weeks ago that said that if i ever want to get out there, it doesnt have to be perfect, and once i am out there it wont matter if its perfect or not because it will become unperfect eventually... what brand primer did you use? i think till prime some only because im recoring half the deck and should get something on the fiberglass other then paint...
Old 25-08-2014, 20:15   #11

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Eco Tuff Rubberized Non-Skid Paint . . .

What was it about the ecotuff you didn't like?

QUOTE=blahman;543043]Ken,

I received some samples of Eco-tuff as well as some other rubberized paints and like them. There are some other companies that offer the same thing (and it may actually all be the same...looks it to me.)

Durabak Company; Truck Bed, Marine, Boat Ship Industrial & Workplace Non-Skid Coatings.
Ultra TUFF Marine - Home Page
Patio Deck Paint - Swimming pool paint and deck coatings

There is also Kiwigrip, similar, but not rubbery - just super grippy:
Anti-skid Boat Decks from Pachena LLC - KiwiGrip anti-slip deck coating

Some other things that are in the vein of Treadmaster:
LONSEAL Flooring :: Ph 800.832.7111 :: Lonseal leads the vinyl surfacing industry with innovative and exciting resilient flooring.
SeaDek Marine Products

Paint-on style products:
Liquid Plastics, Ltd.
ITW American Safety Technologies - Anti-Slip Floor Coatings 1-800-631-7841

I did a LOT of research and flat out rejected treadmaster because 1) it's too damned expensive, 2) we had it on our boat and it HURTS to work on.

Of all the above choices, we selected none. We wound up using Glidden Porch and Patio Polyurethane paint ($20 gal and it is essentially the same as Brightsides) and $2 bags of non-skid aggregate. It was cheap, very easy, is proving to be quite durable, and doesn't hurt my feels and budget if it gets a chip or scratch. I'll repaint it in a few more years.

Before:

After:

We primed using a high-build epoxy from Blue Water Paints, but that's only because the maniac previous owner who installed the Treadmaster took a 36grit grinder wheel to the deck and left gouges everywhere.

FWIW, I painted a few areas with the Glidden paint and it came out to be as glossy as both Interlux Brightsides and Petit's Easypoxy; after a year and a half, it's retaining gloss better than both and doesn't mildew like the others. We got it at Home Depot and it can be mixed to any color you want. I wish I'd've painted my mast using it!

Good luck!
Aaron[/QUOTE]