Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 10:12   #1

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
DIY Topcoats - Alexseal, Awlcraft or Imron?

Re posting an old question – the search results I found were from years past.

Looking for recent DIY or professional experiences…

Now that Alexseal has been used by many, I would like opinions about the roll and tip experiences good or bad and results/performance - but only and specifically for these 2-part acrylic poly topcoats:
  • Alexseal Topcoat 501
  • Awlcraft 2000 (DIY? Can this be rolled?)
  • Imron MS600 (where do I buy?)
I want to be able to buff, sand or repair the paint if I need to, hence the choices above.

Thanks!
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 18:16   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: DIY Topcoats - Alexseal, Awlcraft or Imron?

Alexseal is awful, Awlcraft is spray only. But I'd still recommend going with it over either of the others.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 18:41   #3

I've rolled and tipped Awlgrip, Interlux Perfection and Sterling. They're all fine if you follow the instructions and know what you're doing. What is an acceptable result varies for everyone but there is some experience required to get good results with any of these.
Awlcraft doesn't brush.
I have friends who have rolled and tipped Alexseal and said they got great results. I'm anxious to give it a try.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 18:49   #4

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Just don't use Pettit Easypoxy 2. Worst crap I've ever dealt with... very soft, goes on thin (requires 4-5 coats), little shine and poor flow out . After painting 3/4 of our cabin top, were switching to Awlgrip.

Matt
Old 02-03-2017, 05:36   #5

Thank you for the replies.

I have used Awlgrip polyester without any problems but I now want to have the ability to repair and or buff if I have to, and this is why I am researching acrylics.

I am not confident I can spray and since I have done it once, I will stick with roll and tip, so my choices are Imron or Alexseal.

Reviews for Alexseal are mixed, and since the pros are not happy with it (I have seen one bad review here somewhere and now Minaret), that leaves me with Imron.

Anyone knows where I can buy Imron retail? U.S. or Canada
Old 02-03-2017, 06:21   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Try PPG or Wesco Autobody Supply. Been awhile since I shot Imron.

However, I'd say it's time to learn to shoot if you wanna go acrylic. The beauty of it is that if your final topcoat doesn't come out perfect, you just cut it. Great training paint!

Old 02-03-2017, 08:09   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

The fiberglass and paint man in the marina we hauled out last in NC swears by Alexseal. Our boat is painted with Alexseal and still looks great 7 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 14:24   #8

I like to think I pay attention to what's going on in the yards around here. Seems like they're 2 groups those who use Awlgrip and those who use Alexseal. I think those who still use Awlgrip do it because that's what they're use to using. All being equal the repairability of Alexseal should make it the one to use.
Saying that, I see no one using Imron 600, there must be a reason.
Virtually all my experience with LP's has been roll/tip. I was moaning to a painter friend the other about how much labor is involved, rolling on 5 coats of primer since you'll sand through 4-1/2 of them getting rid of roller stipple. 3 coats of topcoat a day apart with sanding and cleaning in between. It's many days of labor. I'm pretty sure I'm going to spray the next one, spray finish primer and you're not sanding it all back off again to get it smooth. Spray 3 coats of topcoat in one day and you're done.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
I like to think I pay attention to what's going on in the yards around here. Seems like they're 2 groups those who use Awlgrip and those who use Alexseal. I think those who still use Awlgrip do it because that's what they're use to using. All being equal the repairability of Alexseal should make it the one to use.
Virtually all my experience with LP's has been roll/tip. I was moaning to a painter friend the other about how much labor is involved, rolling on 5 coats of primer since you'll sand through 4-1/2 of them getting rid of roller stipple. 3 coats of topcoat a day apart with sanding and cleaning in between. It's many days of labor. I'm pretty sure I'm going to spray the next one, spray finish primer and you're not sanding it all back off again to get it smooth. Spray 3 coats of topcoat in one day and you're done.
Awlcraft 2000 can also be repaired, and like you said, its an Awlgrip product, which has most of the market.

The jury is still out on which of the 2 choices I'll go with.

You are right, the time spent tenting the boat is much less than the roll/sand/roll/sand process. I'll look around to hire a truck painter and rent the equipment. I'll do the work on the surface prep, tent the boat then all is left to do is spray. It will cost a bit more, but it needs to be done right the first time, so for me to spray it is out of the question.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Alexseal is awful, Awlcraft is spray only. But I'd still recommend going with it over either of the others.
Minaret, can you elaborate on the Alexseal cons?

Thanks
Old 03-03-2017, 06:33   #11

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post

So if your spraying, after it's primed and prepped, all top coats can be sprayed in one day? Seems like the way to go!
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:45   #12

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Just don't use Pettit Easypoxy 2. Worst crap I've ever dealt with... very soft, goes on thin (requires 4-5 coats), little shine and poor flow out . After painting 3/4 of our cabin top, were switching to Awlgrip.

Matt
That's interesting since I have hear a lot of people say that but I had a pretty good experience with it and it has held up well on the both the bottom and the deck of my homebuilt 16' skiff. Maybe all of the stars were in alignment they day I applied it. Doesn't matter anyway since they have discontinued it (probably due to the issues you described)

Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:11   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Minaret, can you elaborate on the Alexseal cons?

Thanks

Poor flow compared to Awlgrip. I've shot hundreds of boats managed the shooting of hundreds more, never seen a perfect totally peel free Alexseal job that wasn't cut. Often had people say we must have cut an Awlgrip finish. Have dealt with reps from both companies plenty.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:14   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Awlcraft 2000 can also be repaired, and like you said, its an Awlgrip product, which has most of the market.

The jury is still out on which of the 2 choices I'll go with.

You are right, the time spent tenting the boat is much less than the roll/sand/roll/sand process. I'll look around to hire a truck painter and rent the equipment. I'll do the work on the surface prep, tent the boat then all is left to do is spray. It will cost a bit more, but it needs to be done right the first time, so for me to spray it is out of the question.

That was the point I was trying to make about an Awlcraft job, it does NOT have to be done right the first time. It's very forgiving; screw it up and you just sand it out and polish it. Then it looks amazing. This makes it a great paint to learn on. All you need is a cheap rig and some protective gear.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:34   #15

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
That was the point I was trying to make about an Awlcraft job, it does NOT have to be done right the first time. It's very forgiving; screw it up and you just sand it out and polish it. Then it looks amazing. This makes it a great paint to learn on. All you need is a cheap rig and some protective gear.

I know nothing about spraying, but plan to paint my 46' cat. What kind of spray rig would you recommend? I sounds like you would suggest I use Awlcraft?
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote