Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 09:21   #1

Imron 600 Vs 700

I am painting my topsides and deck in the Philippines and having a terrible time finding quality paint

No Awlgrip that I can find so my second choice is Imron.
The local agent in Davao is more than useless and the Distributor in Manila little better. Manila tells me that the Imron 600 yacht paint is not imported and to use Imron 700 airplane paint

I know that both Awlgrip and Imron came from the airplane market, but do not know about using plane paint on a yacht.
Anyone use the Imron 700 on a boat?
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:26   #2

Re: Imron 600 Vs 700

I had my 44 painted with Imron. It was years ago and I don't know what type it was. I wouldn't use anything else personally. The nice thing about it is it's repairable like gel coat. hard, sandable etc. If it's good on aluminum at 600 mph it's good enough for a boat!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:43   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Imron 600 Vs 700

The local plane painter around here uses 600 on planes, go figure. I wouldn't hesitate to use "aircraft" paint. It might even have more solids which is a good thing. I've painted a bunch of plane parts and more than a few planes with all kinds of stuff. An "aircraft" polyurethane will go on as smooth as can be.
Need to rant here, why can't you buy a new car without orange peel in the finish? I look at Mercs and BMW's, Kia's, everything has a lousy paint job. They're using robots for painting now, they need to do something about it.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote