Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2012, 06:16   #76

Put new rubber gaskets in all the newly refinished hatch covers. Had a beer. with a small pair of vice grips removed about 10k small screws from aft deck, that took two beers. removed old counter tops from galley. beer, played with the jib, pretended I was sailing and made wooshing noises, promptly dropped my 120 dollar pair of super cool raybans right over the side. switched to jack daniels after that. called it a day. about to get back after it today.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 06:50   #77
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Did You Work on the Boat ?

hay kj--i actually sail mine--is just being made safer to sail....in exotic locales..LOL
so we did the fix on the beam under the bulkhead and decided to place a spacer under the mizzen so it doesnt fall into keel or hull at future date---after this decision, and while the boat reeks of fiberglass resin, we went to lunch for 6 hours.......with beer.
after a certain hour, here, one restaurant/bar serves foods with the beer for the price of the beer...not too bad a deal--some days better than others....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 19:22   #78

started peeling gel coat off aft deck. was gonna grind it but started with a chisel and it peels right off. got about 1/3rd of it done. also got the diesel started, had to bleed it to get her started. 15 min later couldn't start it...dang air leaks. gotta find those next weekend. cleaned a bunch of stuff. this boat is teaching me a whole new level of patience. tried resealing chain plates, po 5200 them in! How does one go about replacing the teak cap rail. Any synthetic option instead of teak. can you just paint and caulk it and call it good?
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 00:42   #79
Armchair Bucketeer

Yesterday I looked out of the window (at home)......

.....saw it was raining and decided to go to the boat "later".

- Had lunch

- looked for my new tin of varnish to (finally!) progress the bits of boat that are still at home......remembered that it was on the boat - for a job I have not yet started .

- posted on CF

- Had a Snooze

Today is later
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 01:03   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

time and tide wait for no man,but trying to tell a teenager this is stressful.

drying out on the beach at low water today so i can fit the new propellor,clean the dink,and hopefully get the engine controls working.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 06:56   #81

was doing great with repairing, then took a break....yesterday, a friend from mazatlan arrived and surprised me..LOL..then today we see the hurrycame making way to us-ouchies--all full stop and get watershed devices gong for formosa-- formosas donot like fresh water....seems rainy season will begin with a big bang...nothing like all or nothing philosophy......eeps. at least is spozedly going south of us-- wont be as bad as if from north of us.

i found many air leaks around filters--check there so mebbe ye dont have to run the entire system---filters, banjo fittings, everything that is an in line interruption, then go to the rest....goood luck...nothing like unreliability in diesels, but they arent that difficult to fix.
Old 21-05-2012, 08:37   #82

Boat: a sailing boat

Varnish layer 2. Yesterday sanding and wood prep. Later today some hull cleaning perhaps.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 08:45   #83
Armchair Bucketeer

Went to the boat early.

- Had early Lunch

- Decided to finish off painting the under settee lockers with bilge paint (4 of them)
  • open tin
  • paint level looks low
  • Stir paint - paint level still looks low
  • Decide against going to buy some more paint. 20 minute round trip = "too far".
  • Paint 1 locker
  • Paint level looking very low
  • Count remaining lockers - still 3 to go
  • Stare at lockers hard - still 3 of them
  • Decide to just paint the corners of each locker , plus as many hard to see bits as I can
  • Run out of paint - but now that was planned for, so ok
- Put Kettle on
- Have a ciggy
- Sniff Wet Paint.......mmmmm

- Decide to topcoat Aft Cabin locker lids (the underside) with remaining TOPLAC, a bit OTT - but have run out of bilge paint , and anyway want to use up last of the TOPLAC on a job where the finish don't matter too much. A good plan as TOPLAC has rice pudding style skin on top .....use disposable roller and spend half the time picking bits of rice pudding skin out of the finish .....but don't mind as finish won't matter so much.....unless someone decides to live in the lockers.

- Progress the rubbing down of varnish work in the cockpit - not much but it takes a lot of time (fiddly sh#t ). Console myself that I will never do again. Even if varnish falls off in a week. Fantasize about using paint instead .

- leave boat early

- bought more bilge paint on way home, wonder what I am going to use the 90% I won't need for . Maybe a 2nd coat? Just in case.

- log on to CF

- Have a snooze

Meetings all day tommorow - bummer - especially as weather starting to cheer up .....but those might help get me some more shiney boat things - so I'll be nice. probably.........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 11:08   #84
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

2 outa 3 aint bad,boat ground to a halt about 50 ft from the nice sandy bit in deep mud!

i take full responsability for missing the tide,but waiting around 45 minutes for my daughter to finish putting her makeup on did not help!!!!!!!

morse controls all connected now,and adjusted.

in the mean time took the out board off the rib,and turned rib over,gave it a good scrape,then used patio cleaner on the calcium deposits and algea,worked great!
rib is like new.

set some ground lines,then moved the boat further up the beach at high water,so tommorow,by 10 am she should be high and dry,will change the propellor tommorow,and clean the bottom,and mebbe touch up the anti fouling,till the water comes back.........

think i may copy david now and have a snoozzzzzz
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 17:12   #85

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I'm getting mentally prepared for spring cleaning (not an overhaul like Ex-Calif!) I just need a weekend alone with nothing else to do but remove everything room by room and clean from top to bottom. It will be a big job going through out every drawer and cleaning and oiling all the teak. I just keep telling myself it's aerobic exercise & the teak oil is good for my skin.
heh heh, I suppose I really should do the same. too much stuff on the boat, and no room to work. This week me thinks!
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 19:11   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai

heh heh, I suppose I really should do the same. too much stuff on the boat, and no room to work. This week me thinks!
Well, I didn't get the time this past weekend to do my spring cleaning-after I worked so hard on the mental preparation. This coming weekend is a holiday so it's out. Guess I'll have to sit and thinks some more.
Attached Images

Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 21:23   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Bought some more gidgets and widgets today. The pile of parts is getting daunting.

Much easier to shop for parts than to install them for some reason...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 20:03   #88

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

Finally finished rigging the new lifelines (80 hand swages ) . Went over the whole boat with Spotless Stainless and installed the lifelines. Cleaned the standing rigging as far as I could reach. Wrote a check to the guys who did the wax & varnish last week. Hey, I have a job, ya know. Baby's lookin' GOOD.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 07:11   #89

goT sick. heat prostration and asthma--seems that all night long someone is burning trash just upwind from me....and my neighbor is a chain smoker--- eeps---
waiting for hurrycame to teases us lil more--
continuing the epic saga mizzen step repair....LOL
drank water in am and lost it all to bucket...
having a great time-- wish ye were here....LOL
Old 24-05-2012, 17:04   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
goT sick. heat prostration and asthma--seems that all night long someone is burning trash just upwind from me....and my neighbor is a chain smoker--- eeps---
waiting for hurrycame to teases us lil more--
continuing the epic saga mizzen step repair....LOL
drank water in am and lost it all to bucket...
having a great time-- wish ye were here....LOL
Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate... Even when you don't think you need to.

I drank 3 cups of coffee one morning before a race and didn't eat. After the first windwrd leward I felt physically ill and very weak. Couldn't figure it out at first. Now I drink a liter of water in the mornings on race days.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote