Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 10:53   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Cutting Hole in Hatch

Has anyone successful cut a hole in a plexiglass hatch? I want to install a Vetus UFO2 passive vent to improve ventilation in my forward cabin. The installation calls for a 85mm cutout, and I would guess that my hatch plexiglass is about 1/4” thick. I wrote to Vetus and they recommended I employ a “professional hatch repair service” but I don’t think they have those in Brooklyn!

Has anyone successfully cut a hole in a plexiglass hatch? I’m gonna get some scrap plexiglass and try a few things out. They sell an adjustable carbide tipped hole cutter for about $7 that might do the trick, or maybe a regular hole saw. A 85mm Forstner bit isn’t cheap but could be worth it if it’s definitely the best tool for the job.

Any tips or relevant experiences are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:59   #2

Re: Cutting Hole in Hatch

Regular hole saw should work, just go slow and keep it straight/plumb. You don't want it to bind (might cause the plexiglass to crack) or get too hot.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:59   #3

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I just drilled a hole through 2 of my Lewmar hatches with a normal steel drill bit and my battery operated drill with no issues. Those glued on handles fell off so I needed to screw them tight
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:40   #4

Boat: CT-47

Sure it works ... as Pete17C said... get a hole saw and drill it ... remember to drill from BOTH sides as the plexiglass is brittle and will otherwise leave an ugly edge.
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 14:21   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

IIRC, kerosene is a good lubricant for cutting acrylic plastics. Use of such will help keep the temperature down at the cutting face.

Jim
Old 08-05-2019, 14:42   #6

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus

And it would be a good idea to polish any cut edges with sandpaper, and to round off the edges somewhat.
Any tiny cracks or sharp edges can act as stress concentrators, and may initiate cracks in future
Old 08-05-2019, 16:32   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Cutting Hole in Hatch

If you ever have to cut plexiglass for whatever reason a dremel with the cloth wheel and just polishing compound can polish the edges and make them clear and smooth as opposed to rough and white.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 16:43   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Has anyone successful cut a hole in a plexiglass hatch? I want to install a Vetus UFO2 passive vent to improve ventilation in my forward cabin. The installation calls for a 85mm cutout, and I would guess that my hatch plexiglass is about 1/4” thick. I wrote to Vetus and they recommended I employ a “professional hatch repair service” but I don’t think they have those in Brooklyn!

Has anyone successfully cut a hole in a plexiglass hatch? I’m gonna get some scrap plexiglass and try a few things out. They sell an adjustable carbide tipped hole cutter for about $7 that might do the trick, or maybe a regular hole saw. A 85mm Forstner bit isn’t cheap but could be worth it if it’s definitely the best tool for the job.

Hi, I had the same query and took the hatch to a supplier of acrylic material, his response was, " oh ffs give me the thing" and in no time he had cut the hole with a battery drill mounted holesaw cutting from both sides to prevent exit damage, handed me the hatch, smiled and suggested that I f off before he charged me. Took all of a couple of minutes.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 21:20   #9

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I use a jigsaw with a metal blade, on the slowest setting, and keep it cool and lubed with soapy water.
Old 08-05-2019, 22:13   #10

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

no time he had cut the hole with a battery drill mounted holesaw cutting from both sides to prevent exit damage, handed me the hatch, smiled and suggested that I f off before he charged me.

Seems to me you owe some one a beer or two.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 22:39   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have found that large hole saws tend to pull off centre and drill a largish hole if a hand drill is being used. Consequently I generally hole saw a hole in plywood in a drill press then clamp the plywood down onto the work piece to act as a centering guide when using a hand drill with largish hole saws. Good firm guidance is critical when drilling brittle stuff like perspex. Lubing with kerosene from a spray bottle helps.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:01   #12

Boat: S2 9.2 30'

I went to a machine shop and, after marking the center, the cut the hole for me.
Rchido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:41   #13

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Use a hole saw going slow, best if you can do in in a drill press with a block of wood backing it up. I do this often and have no problems.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:58   #14

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post

===

A hole saw is the right tool for the job. Under no circumstance would I recommend the carbide tipped fly cutter that you described. You will need a drill motor with a lot of power, preferably with a side mounted gripping handle. I used a hole saw to successfully mount six Nicro solar vents in a similar project.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:28   #15

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilo View Post
Sure it works ... as Pete17C said... get a hole saw and drill it ... remember to drill from BOTH sides as the plexiglass is brittle and will otherwise leave an ugly edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
IIRC, kerosene is a good lubricant for cutting acrylic plastics. Use of such will help keep the temperature down at the cutting face.

Jim

These are my answers also.

I have installed vents in my plexi on my previous boat. I used water but I'm sure Kerosene would lubricate better.

Cutting halfway through from the bottom with a regular holesaw and finish from the top reduces the breakout.

Tags
hatch