Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 13:46   #1

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26
Cutting a hole for anchor locker?

Hey folks, getting to know my new-to-me Tartan 30, and one thing that bugs me is it has what appears to be a decent size anchor locker in the bow, but no access from the deck above. My past sailboats have all had a port on the deck from the locker to pass the rode and chain through.

Has anybody in a similar situation cut a hole in the deck and installed a portal and cover to make it a real anchor locker? I imagine one would want to instsall a drain as well. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 15:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Cutting a hole for anchor locker?

All you need is a puka large enough to pass the chain and shackle through. The hawse caps are available anywhere fairly cheap. Those on deck anchor lockers are a total pain in the butt as far as I'm concerned. They are typically sized for a too small Danforth Anchor and the lids are flimsy and subject to being ripped off and lost. They won't fit a real anchor like a 25# Manson or Delta. Really screws up the foredeck for adding a windlass and are too shallow and too high for all chain rode storage.

Get an anchor roller and permanently store your anchor on the bow and the line/chain in the forepeak accessed through a suitablly small sized puka. If you race and don't want the weight. Store a small Viking anchor and rode in an inconvenient place below deck.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 17:21   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Someone did this to my boat before she became mine. I would not.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:23   #4

If you are asking for the best way to make the hole so that you can install the fitting, the tool of choice is usually a hole saw that is attached to the largest, slowest spinning drill that you can get your hands on. It is best to have long handles on the drill & have at least 2 people holding it if the hole saw is much bigger than 3" in diameter.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 18:56   #5

I am about to do this. I already have one hole into my anchor locker using something like this: Suncor Chain And Deck Pipe

It is off to the side of my windlass. The deck under the windlass chain gypsy does not have a hole for the chain to pass through. This will not really work, so I need to add a hole there. In my case it only needs to be big enough for the chain to drop through.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchor locker