Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 13:19   #46
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 9,320
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

This is showing an e7 Raymarine. It is a very reasonable approach and it is nicely done. Our boat and our use is a little different and the T12 is also bigger.

Quote:
IF you have a binnacle guard (Edson or similar) Mainesail has a simple starboard shelf for mounting electronics at the helm.

Chart Plotter Mount For Edson Pedestals Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
__________________

__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 13:25   #47
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 9,320
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

Antoha wrote:
Quote:
How often do you sail in conditions when slats have to be in and you need the plotter at the same time? I'm sure it's a possibility, but how relevant is it for you? (Our boat came with this bracket, and we never felt pressed to change the arrangement).
Hardly ever. The board would be a requirement for ocean racing as our threshold is low, about 6" (something we really like about the boat because we don't feel stuck at the bottom a a deep well).
__________________

__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 13:39   #48
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 4,375
Images: 34
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Another Possibility Vertical Swing Arm Mount - Swing Arm with Ball Mount - RAM Mount Unpackaged - RAM-109V-1BU | RAM Mounts
Vertical Swing Arm Mount - Swing Arm with Ball Mount - RAM Mount

$126.99

Perhaps this one, yes. So I will have a similar situation (though not similar size!) in my boat. It would be nice to see photos inside the companionway where a swinging plotter would fold back into. I was thinking of a swing with 3 hinges so that it could swing out, around, and against the bulkhead if you wanted, or in the companionway if you want or back into a neat spot inside against the bulkhead or whatever is there. And I'll echo the chorus, leave the bulkhead alone, no holes.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 14:00   #49
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Ontario
Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II
Posts: 1,921
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

Antoha wrote:


Quote:

How often do you sail in conditions when slats have to be in and you need the plotter at the same time? I'm sure it's a possibility, but how relevant is it for you? (Our boat came with this bracket, and we never felt pressed to change the arrangement).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Antoha wrote:

Hardly ever. The board would be a requirement for ocean racing as our threshold is low, about 6" (something we really like about the boat because we don't feel stuck at the bottom a a deep well).
IMHO, many people sail with hatchboards out, when they should be in. Many a boat has sank due to suffering a knockdown with hatchboards out.

Our rule aboard, as soon as spray comes back to the cockpit, the hatchboards go in. This starts on our boat beating to weather in 20 knots with wind waves of 6 feet.

If a swing arm, causes one to sail a boat with hatchboards out, when they should be in, this is a bad solution.

I fabricated and installed a swing arm on our first boat, and sailed with it for 4 years. Instruments were mounting in the bulkhead of our second boat. Our third (and current) boat, I removed the swing arm for the GPS, pulled the old instruments out of the bulkhead, and mounted a new plotter and instruments on a pod connected to the binnacle guard. FANTASTIC!

When beating our CAA influenced boat (1975 Douglas 32) I sit forward and the low side so I can see the foresail tells. Sliding back to see the plotter and set for next mark on the race coarse is no issue. When cruising, having the plotter right in front, while being back at the helm where all the other instruments and AP head are, is pretty much perfect.
__________________
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 14:44   #50
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 9,320
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

Yes, we are pretty dry up to 20, but sometimes with short period waves we start getting wet in the cockpit. I agree about the bottom board should go in early. We have been pooped twice over the stern in 26 years, both times it was a surprise in wind against current, once in the Race and once near Sag Harbor.

This display is pretty nice. I think if someone were to want a larger one they'd have to pay us $$ to convince us to part with it. I don't think it is too big where we are going to put it. If it were at the helm, I would definitely have a question about it being oversize for our boat.
We have thought about this and think that for our use, the optimal position is forward at the front of the cockpit under the dodger on a swing out arm or other bracket. The other advantage is that the crew can also operate the chartplotter. We will be able to see the screen quite easily standing behind the helm too.

I called Ram Mount and they were very helpful, suggesting these two mounting setups for a swing out into the companionway

RAM 2.25" Diameter Ball Mount with 3.68" Round Base, STANDARD Length Double Socket Arm & 11" X 3" Rectangle Plate $132
(RAM-D-201U, standard double socket arm is 6.5" swing.) which will not swing the display all the way inside.


RAM 2.25" Diameter Ball Mount with 3.68" Round Base, LONG Length Double Socket Arm & 11" X 3" Rectangle Plate $152 11" swing arm which will work with 14" wide screen.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM-D-111U.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	117635   Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM-D-111U-E.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	117636  

__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 15:09   #51
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,645
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
This is showing an e7 Raymarine. It is a very reasonable approach and it is nicely done. Our boat and our use is a little different and the T12 is also bigger.
That is an awful lot of mass and bracketry.

__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 06:35   #52
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,413
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

A word about placing the plotter at/on the binnacle.

If you spend a lot of time sailing at the helm, steering (racing) and you are navigating hazards access to more info is desirable. However, for offshore passages this hardly occurs/makes sense. Aside from races virtually all offshore steering is done by the AP... and the skipper should position him/herself where they are comfortable... protected from wind and sun and spray... AND have visual access to navigation data such as on an MFD.

The cockpit placement of a MFD plotter should be where it is easy to see and use by the skipper from where he or she normally is (sitting or standing). Same applies to the AP control. Most of the 4" cockpit displays are readable from at least 10' (anywhere in the cockpit) and mounting them above the companionway is a good location.

The only time I drive from the helm is when the conditions of winds and waves don't "appeal" to my AP (and that's very rare)... or when motoring in the harbor to and from a dock, mooring or anchor.. or in a collision avoidance situation (admiral demands I be at the helm!). As such a pedestal instrument cluster is of little use to me.
__________________
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 09:11   #53
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Ontario
Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II
Posts: 1,921
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
A word about placing the plotter at/on the binnacle.

If you spend a lot of time sailing at the helm, steering (racing) and you are navigating hazards access to more info is desirable. However, for offshore passages this hardly occurs/makes sense. Aside from races virtually all offshore steering is done by the AP... and the skipper should position him/herself where they are comfortable... protected from wind and sun and spray... AND have visual access to navigation data such as on an MFD.

The cockpit placement of a MFD plotter should be where it is easy to see and use by the skipper from where he or she normally is (sitting or standing). Same applies to the AP control. Most of the 4" cockpit displays are readable from at least 10' (anywhere in the cockpit) and mounting them above the companionway is a good location.

The only time I drive from the helm is when the conditions of winds and waves don't "appeal" to my AP (and that's very rare)... or when motoring in the harbor to and from a dock, mooring or anchor.. or in a collision avoidance situation (admiral demands I be at the helm!). As such a pedestal instrument cluster is of little use to me.
Excellent point. If someone spends most of their time passagemaking, instruments under the dodger would be a strong consideration.

But for most coastal sailors and liveaboards, instruments under the bimini at the helm provide the same shade protection.

For these sailors, passage making is less than 5% of time on the boat. In this case, a large plotter mounted under the dodger on deck is a forward visibility deterrent, and in the companionway, is an access deterrent.

To me, one should be at the helm at all critical moments when quick action may be required. When quick action is required, rapid access to nav data may be essential.

They can access their (modern) MFD on a tablet or smart phone via WIFI from anywhere (during nice conditions, shaded from sunlight).

When racing, I am often sitting off to the side, to see sail trim better. On longer passages, the AP may be on, and I may be sunning up on the foredeck.

Without WIFI, getting up and moving back to the helm to view instruments now and again, is not that big of a deal IMHO.

Just like boat designs, to each their own.

RamblinRod
__________________
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 09:30   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: California Coast
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Posts: 680
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

1) That will be an awkward position in which manipulate the controls on the plotter. It is also likely that people will frequently be sitting in front of it,
2) The chart plotter will be dead and gone long before the boat is...
3) If you really must do this, try to find some sort of port light or hatch that will fit into the whole. Buy it and put it in you garage so that you can fill the hole when the plotter dies.
__________________
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 22:16   #55
Registered User
 
Orion Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Noank, Ct. USA
Boat: Cape Dory 31
Posts: 1,075
Images: 6
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Excellent point. If someone spends most of their time passagemaking, instruments under the dodger would be a strong consideration.

But for most coastal sailors and liveaboards, instruments under the bimini at the helm provide the same shade protection.

For these sailors, passage making is less than 5% of time on the boat. In this case, a large plotter mounted under the dodger on deck is a forward visibility deterrent, and in the companionway, is an access deterrent.

To me, one should be at the helm at all critical moments when quick action may be required. When quick action is required, rapid access to nav data may be essential.

They can access their (modern) MFD on a tablet or smart phone via WIFI from anywhere (during nice conditions, shaded from sunlight).

When racing, I am often sitting off to the side, to see sail trim better. On longer passages, the AP may be on, and I may be sunning up on the foredeck.

Without WIFI, getting up and moving back to the helm to view instruments now and again, is not that big of a deal IMHO.

Just like boat designs, to each their own.

RamblinRod
RamblinRod and I are in complete agreement. Everyone has the option to do as they please. I am happy with my decision and it has proven its value to me coastal cruising and on blue water passages. I singlehand and have found a Bad Elf GPS puck bluetoothed to my iPad tablet very useful when below and I'm curious or actually plotting a position. I have it in a Lifeproof case so it's waterproof and acts as a fully functioning backup plotter which can be taken topside if I ever have a problem with my Raymarine plotter mounted in a pod at the helm.
__________________
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 09:35   #56
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 9,320
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

After some discussion about making that big opening, we have decided to try a swingout bracket either made or with a Ram Mount. The choice is definitely a compromise, and I appreciate all the thought, consideration and discussion in this thread. With the mainsheet directly forward of the pedestal and our typical use, the chartplotter is better on a swingout I think.

The bracket we are going to try is RamMount 109V-1U RAM Double 6" Swing Arms with 6.25" X 2" Rectangle Base and Vertical Mounting Base Unpackaged - RAM-109V-1U | RAM Mounts which is rated for 10 lbs and the unit is 8.3 lbs. We really should have the next size up but they do not make anything bigger. It has been suggested that these are overbuilt anyway, and some people have 15 lb Monitors on the bracket. I notice that the 3"x4" vertical support bracket may need some extra backing to prevent crowsfeet in the fiberglass area I am mounting it.

We will need to avoid grabbing it in a sea for support.

The other alternative is to try modifying this one from Defender rated for 33 lbs.
Majestic Swing Arm TV Bracket

410mm depth = 16" arm
http://www.majestic-global.us/wall-b...-arm2502b.html

PS: Orion Jim, we are in Mystic. Boat is on Pawcatuck R.
__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 11:04   #57
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,147
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
After some discussion about making that big opening, we have decided to try a swingout bracket either made or with a Ram Mount.
+1 for RAM mount.

I had one for my (largish) handheld GPS, so it could swing in/out of the companionway. Worked great...loved it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windy 057.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	120834  
__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 14:15   #58
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,413
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

That sound sensible... I think forward in the cockpit offers good visibility from the whole cockpit. Cutting big holes in a boat for any reason is usually not a good idea.
__________________
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:49   #59
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 9,320
Re: Cutting Cabin Bulkhead for Chartplotter

See this thread for the completion of the chartplotter installation with some photos and details, how it was fit into a small boat.
B&G Zeus MFD - Has Anyone Tried it ?
__________________

__________________
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cabin, chartplotter, head

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Piping cord, Engel Hotknife cutter with cutting blade and cutting foot babolucia Classifieds Archive 1 28-08-2013 20:51
For Sale: Force 10 Propane Cabin Heater (Bulkhead Mount) svOhana Classifieds Archive 0 09-12-2010 23:52
Cutting in a Sliding Cabin Hatch GorillaToast Construction, Maintenance & Refit 9 11-10-2010 12:07
Cutting Door in Bulkhead ozmike Construction, Maintenance & Refit 2 08-06-2009 06:05



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.