Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018, 13:15   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)
Re: Cleaning prop under water - tips?

Thanks for all the replies so far. (If you want to chime in please remember that this is about under water cleaning, not on the hard.)

The reason why I知 so cautious about scratching is that it might put the prop out of balance and then wear the bearing on the one hand, and on the other, far more likely, every little scratch is a nice invitation to more barnacles and what not and really increases their grip on the surface.

I like the hardwood cleaning method because of that. On my first boat, in the boonies, I used to scrape my hull with the wooden part of a broom and it worked really well. I never had to scrape my prop before however.

All the replies have also piqued my curiosity about metal tools with rounded corners. I値l make sure I have at least one such tool on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
5. I LIKE your idea about a bag injected with vinegar, I am going to try that next time!
Ah! A kindred soul who appreciates my genius! Well, if you do it, let us know how that worked out for you. Likewise if I知 nuts enough to go fumble with a bag under water before you do then I値l certainly let everyone here know how it went down (pun intended). And I just might because I知 very curious about the feasibility and results.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 13:28   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.amazon.ca/BBQ-Scraper-Na.../dp/B00MADL7EI
Old 05-01-2018, 13:28   #18

Boat: Tartan 37

5 in 1 tool is great tool, for me it has to be a scrapper. This one has a point to clean the folding prop gears, the half round for hub and shaft and long enough to NOT cut your hands while scrapping. Nothing is as sharp as those little bastards, wear gloves. Also easy to find and cheap. Coat with a grease before use and wash off with freshwater after. After a good scrapping to bare metal, try a light coat of Lao-coat or white Teflon grease like Superlube on prop and shaft. On second thought if planning to pull soon don't, will not help your painting of the prop.

puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 13:43   #19

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
You're overthinking the problem ;-)

Just scrape the barnacles with whatever tool will get them off. You're not going to damage the prop unless you start bashing on it with a hammer. A few scratches will not affect the prop at all, and no one is going to see it anyway.

Regards,
David
x2. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. It's not a racing hydroplane prop! Wear a rash guard while scraping so the little fish don't try to eat your freckles and moles! One sheepshead bite to a nipple and you won't want to scrape ever again!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 13:49   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The reason why I’m so cautious about scratching is that it might put the prop out of balance and then wear the bearing on the one hand, and on the other, far more likely, every little scratch is a nice invitation to more barnacles and what not and really increases their grip on the surface.
You might give this a little more thought! The tiny scratches that you just might put in the surface are totally inconsequential, especially when compared to the mass of even one small barnie that you have removed. You are worrying about a non-problem.

Jim
Old 05-01-2018, 14:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
You might give this a little more thought! The tiny scratches that you just might put in the surface are totally inconsequential, especially when compared to the mass of even one small barnie that you have removed. You are worrying about a non-problem.

Jim
Yep, I know that.
Old 05-01-2018, 14:35   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Talking Re: Cleaning prop under water - tips?

Most likely you can acquire a 4 l. bottle of vinegar pretty cheap. Why bother to crush the barnacles first? a lot of work free diving, and you'd need extraordinarily long jaws to get clear across the blades, might consider bashing them with a maul, instead. Even then, just how are you going to get the vinegar to displace the sea water in the bag? You going to have a cohort suck out the water, while you close the mouth of the bag, then they lower an appropriate length of hose, and pour the vinegar down it through a funnel? Better measure the volume of the bag you're going to use, you'll run out of breath before it fills if they have to go buy another 4 l. Maybe you could use good vinegar for the last bit, and keep the leftovers for salad dressing... If you like salad dressing.

This would be easier with a hookah, imho, maybe you could borrow one, after you've found a method you think will work. Although it would be a fun experiment, I'm beginning to think it will be so hard to do that it won't be worth the effort. It sounds simple when you say it fast, though.

PS. Just knocking off the barnies with a 2" s/s putty knife is what we did. Now we use "Prop Speed", or one of their look-alikes, and wipe it occasionally with a sponge.

Incidentally, slightly off topic, but we have bagged the propeller before leaving the boat sit in a marina for a while (3 months), and just excluding fresh sea water keeps the growth to a minimum.

Ann
Old 05-01-2018, 15:23   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just scrape it off, I have tried the Scotch Bright green pad, and it does little to nothing, which surprised me, cause it will eat away aluminum.
You can稚 hurt the prop, not with just a scraper, if you bash em, you still have to scrape the little ring that is left off. I have tried.
It痴 not much of s job really, not worth hiring a diver for if your in warm water.
I知 hiring a diver myself tomorrow, cause we are in 50ish degree water, and I don稚 have my dry suit with me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 15:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Although it would be a fun experiment, I'm beginning to think it will be so hard to do that it won't be worth the effort. It sounds simple when you say it fast, though.
Well, I did say in my opening post that this was the most convoluted method I could think of.
Old 05-01-2018, 15:31   #25

Re the great vinegar experiment:

IMO, you will not only have great difficulty in expressing the water from the bag, and then filling it with the vinegar, but keeping the vinegar from steadily being diluted by the surrounding water will be pretty damn hard... and the dissolution of the barnies and their footprints will take hours, not minutes, even with full strength vinegar.

I routinely use white vinegar to soak the knotmeter impeller when it gets fouled, mostly with tube worm shells, and that's full strength... takes quite a while to remove even this relatively soft fouling.

Draw your own conclusions...

Jim
Old 05-01-2018, 19:51   #26

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Re the great vinegar experiment:

IMO, you will not only have great difficulty in expressing the water from the bag, and then filling it with the vinegar, but keeping the vinegar from steadily being diluted by the surrounding water will be pretty damn hard... and the dissolution of the barnies and their footprints will take hours, not minutes, even with full strength vinegar.

I routinely use white vinegar to soak the knotmeter impeller when it gets fouled, mostly with tube worm shells, and that's full strength... takes quite a while to remove even this relatively soft fouling.

Draw your own conclusions...

Jim
Ah ye of little faith!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 19:55   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ah ye of little faith!
Guilty as charged, your honour! I beg the court's indulgence... whatever you do, don't sentence me to serving on a King's ship...

Jim
Old 06-01-2018, 07:27   #28

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Guilty as charged, your honour! I beg the court's indulgence... whatever you do, don't sentence me to serving on a King's ship...

Jim

Sentence him to transportation to the antipodes.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:02   #29

Big prop small prop? I like a big wire brush, smoothed heavy chisel
IslandHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:03   #30

I liked that vin bag too, leave that on all winter. I used the wooden handle of the wire brush, always use a softer metal than your prop. I like chisels for singling out stubborn Barneys they have enough mass to not need to hack at like a scraper. Just set it to the offender and bump it with your palm. Scrape the leftovers and always work parallel. I also use concrete scrapes for big or coral infested jobs
IslandHop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, water